Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike rack on back cover or an a thowbar?

S

Sapmi

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 110
What do you recommend? We have to transport 2 normal bikes. And it has to be easy to take them on and off.

What do you recommend? We have to transport 2 normal bikes. And it has to be easy to take them on and off.
If you can lift your bicycle to head hight then you can use a tailgate rack, if not a tow bar rack.

Towbar all the time to keep the overall height below 2m and also make the opening of the rear tailgate easier and make taking the bike on and off easier (espacialky when you looking at electric bikes weighing over 20 kgs.

Hi Sapmi, we have a tailgate rack which is fine.

I fitted fork locks onto the rack so I can take the front wheel off and drop the bikes to the height of the roof but if I was to buy another van I would go for a tow bar mounted rack which we have on my wife's car, it's just so much easier.
View attachment 59771View attachment 59772
Thank you ! Now it s clear, we will go for the tow bar rack

I fitted fork locks onto the rack so I can take the front wheel off and drop the bikes to the height of the roof but if I was to buy another van I would go for a tow bar mounted rack which we have on my wife's car, it's just so much easier.
Why do you want to change to a tow bar carrier?

Wow Karlos, that's a nice solution! Was it a lot of work/difficult? And did you ahve to permanently alte rthe bike rack or is this somethign that can be undone/ removed without damage?

Why do you want to change to a tow bar carrier?
Hi, we only carry 2 bikes and its a bit of a pain to have to lift them so high and make the adjustments so the bikes sit beneath the roof line. I already have a Thule 2 bike carrier which we use on my wifes car and its so much easier than the rack.

I know lots of people prefer the rack but I think the tow bar option will suit us best.

I don't have a California yet. So I have to decide to taken a towbar before I order one, at the end of this week.
I was asking Karlos but no probs. If I were you I'd order the tow bar. You never know. You'll get your money back when you sell the van.
You may need/want to tow a boat, a horse trailer, motorbikes trailer. Or get a Trailer from Ikea when you buy some big furniture. Or rent a trailer if you need to transport something big without damaging or make your interior dirty. Or indeed you may later decide you prefer a bike rack on the tow bar rather than a tailgate bike carrier. Or you may want a towbar-box for extra storage or skis...

Wow Karlos, that's a nice solution! Was it a lot of work/difficult? And did you ahve to permanently alte rthe bike rack or is this somethign that can be undone/ removed without damage?
Hi its an idea I copied off a thread on here using a Ikea chopping board as the mounting plate.

I don't have a California yet. So I have to decide to taken a towbar before I order one, at the end of this week.
I think you mentioned elsewhere trying to keep costs down (awning and towbar). I did the same and then retrofitted both.
Perhaps the towbar prep kit would be a good idea for you? Allows for a much easier retrofit later if you decide you want a tow bar.
Regarding bike racks - some have mentioned difficulty opening tail gate with bike rack laden with bikes. Be aware some tow bar bike racks do not allow access to tail gate at all.

Hi, we only carry 2 bikes and its a bit of a pain to have to lift them so high and make the adjustments so the bikes sit beneath the roof line. I already have a Thule 2 bike carrier which we use on my wifes car and its so much easier than the rack.

I know lots of people prefer the rack but I think the tow bar option will suit us best.
Thanks Karlos. I also have a Thule which I bought for the car before the Cali, but unfortunately mine doesn't tilt enough for the tailgate to clear. Was thinking selling it and getting a Thule929 which works with the Cali. Then when I picked up the Cali I got a deal for the original VW tailgate carrier. At 5'8" I manage just about fine. I like it as a drying rack for towels just as much!
It's a tough one, there are pros and cons for both systems.

Thanks Karlos. I also have a Thule which I bought for the car before the Cali, but unfortunately mine doesn't tilt enough for the tailgate to clear. Was thinking selling it and getting a Thule929 which works with the Cali. Then when I picked up the Cali I got a deal for the original VW tailgate carrier. At 5'8" I manage just about fine. I like it as a drying rack for towels just as much!
It's a tough one, there are pros and cons for both systems.
:agreed

If you can lift your bicycle to head hight then you can use a tailgate rack, if not a tow bar rack.

Agree. I went along the tow bar route for 4years and then treated myself to the tailgate rack / come towel drier. Much, much easier.

As much as the tailgate rack gives the California "something", I would never buy it.
I am glad with the ease of use of the towbar rack. I need the towbar anyway, but not when on holidays.

But there are enough discussions about this item, so I won't go further into it.

I suggest the towbar mounted bicycle rack is easier.
Make sure you consider the slide away towbar rack that allows access to the boot with the bikes in situ on the rack
Atera STRADA DL 3 to 4 bike carrier (UK lights) no. AR2603