Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike Rack Recommendations - T6.1, Short / Long Term Family Ideas

t6.1

t6.1

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Questions:
  1. Thoughts on taking your own bikes vs renting around Europe?
  2. If long term the better option would be a towbar option for being lower (ease of lifting E-bikes), access to the boot, height etc… then should we just do this now?
  3. Any thoughts, or considerations re Thule vs Fiamma vs VW Tailgate?
I've had a good look over the forum and collated the useful information together from other posts, any thoughts on our situation would be awesome, thanks in advance! :thumb

Background:
- Family: 2x Adults, 1x 2.5yr old, 1 new born.
- Current Situation: Dad drives 2.5yr old to local places, has a normal bike + Thule Ridealong Child Seat. 2.5yr has a balance bike.
- Travel: Right now staying local, we have no towbar so thinking tailgate options. Long term we may look at E-Bikes, travel further afield, but we're thinking for long distances we'd leave the bikes at home and rent along the way.

1. Towbar or Tailgate?
- For some reason along with speccing out the extras we didn't get a towbar :headbang

2. Normal Bikes or heavier E bikes?
- Currently: 1x Normal Bike, 1 Kids Bike
- 5+ Years: 2x Normal Bikes (or possibly E-Bikes), 2 Kids Bikes
- 10+ Years: 4x Normal Bikes (or possibly E-Bikes)

3. How capable of lifting bikes, for a tailgate rack at least 4' off the ground?
- I wouldn't see this is an issue for normal bikes, not sure about E-Bikes though.

4. Rearview?
- I don't see as an issue, but is nice to have.

5. Colour Preference?
- Low down the list in terms of priority, but as we're Indium Grey, I think black would be nicer.

Research:
## Thule Standard
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/thule-elite-g2-bike-rack-standard-version
= 2, can be upgraded for 3 or 4 bikes (~£70 each)
= Silver Design
= Max weight: 60kg
= ?? Not sure if boot can be opened ??
= £264.99

## Thule Wanderway
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/thule-wanderway-2-vw-t6-bike-rack
= 2, can be upgraded for 3 or 4 bikes (~£100 each)
= Black / Silver Design
= Max weight: 60kg
= ?? Not sure if boot can be opened ??
= £449.00

## Fiamma
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/p...for-vw-t6-pro-california-caravelle-deep-black
= Easy install
= 2, can be upgraded for 3 or 4 bikes (~£100 each)
= Black Design
= ?? Boot can be opened with rack on, not sure about what it would be like with bike(s) on ??
= £439.99
= Extra arms ~£100

## Genuine VW
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/genuine-vw-t6-transporter-california-tailgate-bike-rack
= Supports 4 bikes
= Silver Design
= Max weight: 70kg
= £599.99

### VW Different Versions from 'CamperFam': Kylie (old style), Quasimodo (new style).
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/t6-bike-rack-differences.38874/#post-488274
Kylie (older style) have thinner rails and the bike wheels are strapped via a fabric strap w/ toothed clip. The bikes also sit slightly higher the van's roof line. One arm has a lock, whereas the other three dont. The bolts that secure the rack to the tailgate are difficult to access with the boot closed.

Quasimodo (newer style) have thicker rails and have a modern plastic latch strap and fastener. All four arms have locks, and the bikes sit slightly higher than the Kylie rack. The bolts that secure the rack to the tailgate are easier to access with the boot closed than the Kylie. These can be replaced with non-tamper bolts that remove this risk though.

Cheers!

I would suggest that you don’t base the decision on the relative locking capabilities of the arms. In practice, you’ll want to a more secure lock (ideally a D lock weaved through bike frame and bike rack) if you’re leaving bikes unattended for a period of time.

I like & use the Fiamma rack. Note it’s available a lot cheaper in normal silver rather than black.
Parts for silver racks are far more plentiful on ebay as well.
Also note that spare parts, additional rails etc are widely available. There are also loads of different arms available of differing lengths and to different shapes. I’ve actually had 3 different fiamma racks on VWs and a 4 th on a motor home. Over the years I’ve got sufficient spare arms to make any combination of bikes fit.

We have a Thule Velospace xt 3 on the toe bar, it will hold 3 bikes and you can get an extension for a 4th, but it only holds 60kg total. Our ebikes are about 25kg each so with 2 of them its quite close to the limit.

What we like the most about this one is that the Thule Back space bag / box secures to the bike rack which gives a different option if you just need more cargo space (we use it for kayaking gear / awning etc).

It also folds back enough to allow the rear door to open.

As with all additional extras personal preference will be the deciding factor. It looks like you have already done some research.

personally I have the Atera DL towbar mounted, I carry four bike and like to access the boot with the bikes on. the link below is a good site for comparing various models.

I think that E Bikes are too heavy to safely lift up onto the tailgate, more than 2 would make it very-very difficult to open the tailgate.

As an additional security method is an extended tow hitch light cable can be threaded through the bikes which if unplugged or cut will set the alarm off.

Thanks all for the comments, that's given us some more things to think about, very helpful, cheers!

The first question you need to ask yourself,
Do I need access to the boot ?

The answer is always, yes.

Therefore the only option is a towbar mounted sliding rack. That way bikes can be mounted to the rack and when you need access to the boot, it slides away with the bikes attached.