Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike Rack stolen / ripped off?

5 cali van man

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
I was surprised on Thursday afternoon to notice that my van was missing its bike rack. I checked the cameras at home expecting to see someone removing in the middle of the night, but actually no. I saw the van leave the house (wife driving it) at 8am with the rack on the back and when it returned at 10am it was gone! My wife drove for 30 minutes one way, parked up for 1 hour in a high street, there was camera footage which confirmed that nothing happened during that time. My wife drove back home and popped into the co-op for 5 minutes or so and then home. So we conclude it must have been removed forcibly in the co-op car park (no cameras to check). When i say removed it must have been ripped off, as wife had reversed into the parking space with a lamp post behind, so cant see how another vehicle could have ripped it off. I can only assume it was ripped off by hand or tools. It's made quite a mess, with deep scratches and dents in the boot - insurance claim required. I cant believe that it was removed so quickly and so brazenly in broad daylight, if indeed that is how it was removed, generally i quite puzzled about it all. Before you mention my wife's driving, no question it wasn't her (she's sitting next to me!). Any other similar experiences?

I was surprised on Thursday afternoon to notice that my van was missing its bike rack. I checked the cameras at home expecting to see someone removing in the middle of the night, but actually no. I saw the van leave the house (wife driving it) at 8am with the rack on the back and when it returned at 10am it was gone! My wife drove for 30 minutes one way, parked up for 1 hour in a high street, there was camera footage which confirmed that nothing happened during that time. My wife drove back home and popped into the co-op for 5 minutes or so and then home. So we conclude it must have been removed forcibly in the co-op car park (no cameras to check). When i say removed it must have been ripped off, as wife had reversed into the parking space with a lamp post behind, so cant see how another vehicle could have ripped it off. I can only assume it was ripped off by hand or tools. It's made quite a mess, with deep scratches and dents in the boot - insurance claim required. I cant believe that it was removed so quickly and so brazenly in broad daylight, if indeed that is how it was removed, generally i quite puzzled about it all. Before you mention my wife's driving, no question it wasn't her (she's sitting next to me!). Any other similar experiences?
Thats Awful and if your tail gate is damaged I bet the bike rack is too..being Aluminium I wonder if it was just removed to take sell for scrap metal? I feel your pain!

There are previous threads discussing how easy this is to do. They listed how to buy tamper proof bolts (I have different ones on each side).

I have a dash cam on the rear window which is hard to see through the tinted glass but picks up everything on the outside.
Not much of a consolation but maybe worth thinking about for the future.

Caught on the lampost....ripped off, Wife telling porkies .......but in all seriousness, thieves don't do things like you and I...so daylight isn't an issue for them and neither is ripping one off and causing damage.