Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike rack test for T5

Tanya Gander

Tanya Gander

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Last week I ended up testing three different bike racks for my T5, so thought I would share my experience.
I started off with a Fiamma, ordered from Nick at Comfortz. Spent ages assembling it, finally fitted it to my van, only to find that the brackets didn't fit onto the bottom rail.

Nick was really helpful, it turned out the holes in the frame had not been drilled correctly. After no response from Fiamma, Nick refunded me straightaway. By this time, we had made plans to go cycling in the New Forest at the weekend, and it was Wednesday evening.

So, on to plan British, I ordered a Thule Backpac 973 from Amazon. This was much more solid, albeit more expensive, and went together easily. However, when we fitted it, the top brackets were so close to damaging the paintwork that neither of us were happy to use it. So, back it went. Easy returns and refund from Amazon too.

It was now Saturday morning and we faced the prospect of being booked into a campsite ideally located for cycling, and no way of taking our bikes. SMG Motors in Cowfold to the rescue! I called them at 8.10am Saturday and they had a VW bike rack I could have. I arrived there at 9am, they fitted it for me at no extra charge, and I was on my way.

Now, ok the VW rack costs twice the price of Fiamma, £467 including VIP club discount, but it is worth every penny. It fits properly, feels solid and of good quality, and worthy of adorning Dougie, as our California is affectionately known. Great service from Nick at Comfortz and from SMG. Great weekend away with the bikes too!

Last week I ended up testing three different bike racks for my T5, so thought I would share my experience.
Now, ok the VW rack costs twice the price of Fiamma, £467 including VIP club discount, but it is worth every penny. It fits properly, feels solid and of good quality, and worthy of adorning Dougie, as our California is affectionately known. Great service from Nick at Comfortz and from SMG. Great weekend away with the bikes too!

Thank you @Tanya Gander for sharing your thoughts. I guess a towbar fitting ones were not an option, because you haven't got a towbar.

Hi.

Has anyone, specifically tried the Thule Easyfold 931 on either T5/T6 with fixed-ball factory fit tow-bar.

I've a T6 Beach on-order, and have added the factory-fit fixed ball. I cannot use the VW bike rack, due to a 2.1m height restriction in my underground carpark. So, I'm looking for a Thule tow hitch option. Storage is a concern for me also, so the Thule Easyfold 931 seems ideal.

Thanks, Jonathan

Last edited: