Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike rack thoughts please...

newboldi

newboldi

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi, I’ve got a T6.1 Ocean with tow-bar and want to carry 4 bikes. I have a Thule bike rack (427 model I think) and was expecting to use this with my camper. One of the best features is you can release the rack to open the boot even with 4 bikes loaded. Sadly the ‘tilt’ is not enough on the camper to be able to open the tailgate. Just wondering whether to invest in a better option or persist...
From what I read the rear mounted (not on the towbar), need to be unloaded before opening the tailgate too. Is this true or is there a perfect solution?
Thanks in advance...

We have a 6.1 with factory fitted towbar. We have the Thule Velospace 939 with the extra 4th bike rack. Works perfectly - you can open the tailgate with the 4 bikes on.

Hi, I’ve got a T6.1 Ocean with tow-bar and want to carry 4 bikes. I have a Thule bike rack (427 model I think) and was expecting to use this with my camper. One of the best features is you can release the rack to open the boot even with 4 bikes loaded. Sadly the ‘tilt’ is not enough on the camper to be able to open the tailgate. Just wondering whether to invest in a better option or persist...
From what I read the rear mounted (not on the towbar), need to be unloaded before opening the tailgate too. Is this true or is there a perfect solution?
Thanks in advance...
I’m in the same boat needing to carry 4 bikes but have been advised by VW that the factory fit Westfalia towbar is only rated to carry max. 65kg, and that includes the bike rack; so 4 bikes will almost certainly exceed the stated capacity by a fair margin. I’ve no doubt that many people do so but any insurance claim would be interesting if an overloaded towbar rack was a factor. So a consideration if your towbar is factory fit/Westfalia.

Regarding the boot mounted rack, yes you can open the boot with 1,2, 3, 4 bikes on it depending ion how strong you are but it won’t stay open without a support being jammed in and it’s very heavy. I’ve found it possible to reach in and grab something with 4 bikes on with me holding it open and someone else reaching in. But it‘s not something I would want to do routinely.

Last edited:
Thanks in advance...
You can get 2 shims which slide over the boot struts when opened, this will enable you to keep it open with 4 bikes (see photo) & allow use of boot/shower tent...but will put your height over 2m with bikes on.

Towbar racks are also great but can restrict parking a bit if left on all the time. Whereas the loaded boot mounted one will clear a car bonnet when driving in/ reversing out of a supermarket space, and can just be folded up when not in use. Can recommend the Altera Strada which we had on our previous T4.

227BF80E-4631-497F-85E6-6B566252EEA9.jpeg

Thanks in advance...
We have a Thule Velospace X3 and can open the tailgate with bikes loaded. Can also pull out the slide-out drawer.

The Pro-User SG2 Plus tow bar rack tilts enough to open the tail gate. It must be the SG2 Plus version. There is also an SG2 version, this will not work. Must be SG2 Plus

I’m in the same boat needing to carry 4 bikes but have been advised by VW that the factory fit Westfalia towbar is only rated to carry max. 65kg, and that includes the bike rack; so 4 bikes will almost certainly exceed the stated capacity by a fair margin. I’ve no doubt that many people do so but any insurance claim would be interesting if an overloaded towbar rack was a factor. So a consideration if your towbar is factory fit/Westfalia.

Regarding the boot mounted rack, yes you can open the boot with 1,2, 3, 4 bikes on it depending ion how strong you are but it won’t stay open without a support being jammed in and it’s very heavy. I’ve found it possible to reach in and grab something with 4 bikes on with me holding it open and someone else reaching in. But it‘s not something I would want to do routinely.
Thanks for the info...yes, it’s a factory fit tow bar. Seems a bit poor, surely people have them for bikes or a trailer! I’ll look at other options too...

We have a 6.1 with factory fitted towbar. We have the Thule Velospace 939 with the extra 4th bike rack. Works perfectly - you can open the tailgate with the 4 bikes on.
Sounds good, might have a 427 for sale!

You can get 2 shims which slide over the boot struts when opened, this will enable you to keep it open with 4 bikes (see photo) & allow use of boot/shower tent...but will put your height over 2m with bikes on.

Towbar racks are also great but can restrict parking a bit if left on all the time. Whereas the loaded boot mounted one will clear a car bonnet when driving in/ reversing out of a supermarket space, and can just be folded up when not in use. Can recommend the Altera Strada which we had on our previous T4.

View attachment 77016

thanks, I wouldn’t leave a tow bar one on all the time...yours looks really neat. Might need the sliding drawer too!!! My budget on accessories is blown...

Westfalia towbars have max noseweight of 100kg (tow weight 2800kgs).

Unless you are carrying ebikes or very heavy MTB’s, then you should still be OK. Most road bikes only weigh 10-11kg, so 4 takes you up to 44kg plus the weight of the rack itself.

They do for towing, but that is restricted down to 65kg for an unsupported load such as a bike carrier. More detail in this thread including confirmation from VW UK.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/nose-weight.39274/
The noseweight for all T4,T5,T6 towbars is 100kg according to Westfalia website ( & PF Jones).

3 bike carriers - carry approx 45kg max bike weight

4 bike carriers - carry approx 65kgs max bike weight

+ Bike rack weight - approx 20kgs max

So 4 bikes takes you to 85kgs load (65+20) 15kgs under the 100kg noseweight.

Tow bar bike racks - there will be a decent factor of safety. Unless you are carrying heavy electric bikes I wouldn't worry.

You also need to make sure that you have the correct tightness where the rack connects to the tow bar. The first time I set up my rack I stood on it (73kg). No problems.

Screenshot_20210420-101012.png

We are 5, so if we want to take bikes, I’m still trying to figure out how to get a 5th (kids) bike to come along too.
seems not enough room below the tailgate carrier to put a bike on the towbar carrier though...

The noseweight for all T4,T5,T6 towbars is 100kg according to Westfalia website ( & PF Jones).

3 bike carriers - carry approx 45kg max bike weight

4 bike carriers - carry approx 65kgs max bike weight

+ Bike rack weight - approx 20kgs max

So 4 bikes takes you to 85kgs load (65+20) 15kgs under the 100kg noseweight.
Yes, if you choose to ignore the info from VW who state it’s reduced to 65kg reduced for an unsupported load. :headbang

Yes, if you choose to ignore the info from VW who state it’s reduced to 65kg reduced for an unsupported load. :headbang
I think the info received from VW is incorrect (or they have taken bike carrier weight into account); Would trust the info from the towbar manufacturer.

(Have fitted removable Westfalia Towbars to 2 previous vehicles and they both had 100kgs Max nose weight.)

And the roof bed only supports 150kgms max, according to VW.

We are 5, so if we want to take bikes, I’m still trying to figure out how to get a 5th (kids) bike to come along too.
seems not enough room below the tailgate carrier to put a bike on the towbar carrier though...

We managed to squish 2 adult bikes, a 3 year old’s bike a 2 year old’s balance bike and a double toddler trailer onto our tailgate rack.

- Adult 1 went on the first rail.
- Adult 2 went on the second rail.
- 3 year old’s bike went one wheel on the second rail, one wheel on the third rail.
- Balance bike went on the third rail.
- Trailer sat on the fourth rail.

Another option would be to suspend a fifth bike below the bike rack, but if the number plate is obscured you will need a rear board.

And, of course, you could use the roof, it’s the only place where we can carry our tandems, but you will probably need steps to get you bikes on and off the roof.

Also take care of weight limits. Good children’s bikes are pretty light, but full suspension models can weigh quite a lot.

Thanks in advance...
I have 4 bikes (60kg) on a Westafalia towbar & an Atera Strada DL4 but have to rotate my (large bullhorn) handle-bars, to allow the boot to open.

I assume this won’t work for your towbar-mounted carrier? It’s a very cheap and easy solution, if it works.

I think the info received from VW is incorrect (or they have taken bike carrier weight into account); Would trust the info from the towbar manufacturer.

(Have fitted removable Westfalia Towbars to 2 previous vehicles and they both had 100kgs Max nose weight.)
The towbar manufacturer also stated 65kg unsupported, I think (it’s in the other thread). My 4th bike adaptor comes with tailgate straps though...
Semi-supported?

The towbar manufacturer also stated 65kg unsupported, I think (it’s in the other thread). My 4th bike adaptor comes with tailgate straps though...
Semi-supported?
But no longer possible to open tailgate, i assume?