Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike rack

Dr Paul Milne

Dr Paul Milne

Iceman
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Here is my first post so apologies if riles transgressed
On our way to the Pyrenees-in our 2012 T5 California-it occurred to my other (and possiblybetter half) that we might need bicycles
Bet this has been asked before.... but.. any preferences on type of bike rack,price and make?

There are two basic types, ones that hook on and clamp to the tailgate above the number plate and rear lights, and ones that lock onto a tow bar.

I am guessing you are still in the UK.
If you don't have a tow bar and don't want to fit one, then the tailgate one is the only option.

VW do their own available from your local VW Commercial Vehicle dealer or Fiamma make one, available from a decent motorhome/camper dealer. As these are both mounted above the lights, there is nothing extra to install to comply with current regulations.

The VW one looks best but you may need to order it as I doubt it is a dealer stock item. Usually delivered to the dealer in a day though and a 10min job to fit. Not cheap as it costs around £500.00.

The towbar option is more expensive and you need to ensure it will tilt down with bikes on and clear the tailgate when it is opened and fit a tow bar if you haven't got one.

The Thule does this (although they have changed their range recently and I am not certain which model is which now) around £350.00, as does the Altera Strada D3, £370.00.

A Westfailia tow bar fitted is about £400.00 I think, to include wiring and coding the van's computer, plus £25.00 for an extra rear number plate, around £770-£790 total.

I should add that if lifting bikes up to head height is an issue for you then the tow bar rack is the best option, particularly if you are using Ebikes.

Hope that helps

Alan