Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike Rack

Atera DL3
Thule 929 (they got a new name)
Fiamma black coated one
a bike trailer
roof bars and bikerack and ladder

I love the VW/Thule bike rack. Quick and easy to load four bikes.

The downside is that opening the tailgate is not easy when loaded, and non folding adult bikes will poke up above the roofline causing wind resistance.

Go for the VW one, and get a spare safe - spare wheel lock (feed a bike lock through the spare wheel bracket. then you can lock the bikes to the rack and van.). Bit more than your budget but worth it.

The VW T6 ones come is two forms Kylie and Quasimodo (search for these for +/-) but are around £550 is you shop around. The Fiamma that Loz mentions looks lighter and is cheaper but is unreviewed compared to the official ones (which will return you £400+ when you sell).

Its for a tailgate, 2 x normal bikes (not e-bikes), lifting bikes not an issue, budget around £400 or less if possible. Thanks
Check this one out from Forum Shop.

The Fiamma that Loz mentions looks lighter and is cheaper but is unreviewed

I have the new Fiamma T6 pro in black, it is impressive. we have been using ours with 2 heavy e-bikes. You wouldn't lift the tailgate with bile on as the struts wouldn't hold it, but it stays up fine without a bike.
I chose to use different rubber edge protectors than those supplied.
it took about an hour to fit and hasn't needed tightening nor adjustment.

£429 including vat and free delivery and yoyu get 10% off your first order https://www.thecampercoshop.com/fiamma-carry-bike-vw-t6-pro-deep-black-tailgate-bike-rack
scaled.IMG_2029.jpeg
scaled.IMG_2015.jpegscaled.IMG_2016.jpegscaled.IMG_2026.jpegscaled.IMG_2030.jpegscaled.IMG_2031.jpegscaled.IMG_1994.jpeg

scaled.IMG_2028.jpeg

Check this one out from Forum Shop.
Hi, I assume you have to take bikes off to open tailgate? Does it have a lock?

Hi, I assume you have to take bikes off to open tailgate? Does it have a lock?
I would suggest you contact the Forum Shop for more information. According to the Manufacturers website. The rack is locked to the tailgate and the bikes locked to the rack. As with all tailgate racks the tailgate can be opened with bikes on but will not stay open on its own.
The rack hooks over the tailgate and there is a locking plate that is installed behind the number plate and the rack locks onto that plate.
The plate stays on when the rack is removed when not in use.
I use a Towbar rack as it can be used on any vehicle with a Towbar rather than restricted to just one make and model of vehicle.

What is the lightest tail gate bike rack? We have the altera and it is pretty heavy. Is the vw one lighter. We use 1 bike. Are there ant just made from aluminium?

It would be really helpful if the shop included the weight in their description.
Thanks

Also consider the attachment to the bikes. I considered a VW one recently but the clamping arrangement to the bike was limiting.

Generally I think the VW rack is awesome. As long as you can lift the bikes up. Fit and forget, always there when you need it - no storage or faffing. No towbar required. Securing arms are simple to use.

The T5 one was brilliant; the T6 version has improved it. Access via the tailgate is fine if the bikes are not over heavy & well secured and you have a helper to hold it up.

Never close it by dropping, obviously - close super gently. I’ve owned about 6 bike racks and the VW one is the best for me.

From what I can establish, the truly black one is only for the T6? Any reference to black on the T5 model just seems to refer to the bits of plastic? (vs the Fiamma red that turn pink after a few years). Anyone know any different?

I have the VW Bike rack on my new ocean,not impressed with it at all,when supposed to be closed it opens while I am driving,the way of securing the bikes is very "wing and a prayer" Im never confident that they will stay on so I secure the bikes with additional strapping,I do not think they have really thought about the racks design....

I used the Kylie for two and a half years, for two ordinary bikes, including 10 weeks in Norway - some of their roads are, lets say, not like a good French Peage. No trouble, no adjustments/refixing required. The strapping was a bit of a pain but still no real complaints. Just bought new Cali and fitted Fiamma Pro (almost £100 cheaper) - fitting was a bit of a fiddle but once sorted all is good. I do like the plastic straps of the Fiamma v the VW fabric straps, especially in the rain! Folding away is better with the F too - just a push and click. No extra straps needed here. Out of 10? Fiamma 8, VW (Kylie) 7.

I have the VW Bike rack on my new ocean,not impressed with it at all,when supposed to be closed it opens while I am driving,the way of securing the bikes is very "wing and a prayer" Im never confident that they will stay on so I secure the bikes with additional strapping,I do not think they have really thought about the racks design....

Push the wheel ramps to the very ends of the wheel channels then close it. If you still have problems hold it up using the short arm.

The T6 bike rack if used properly is a superb design. We frequently cart four bikes around and it is so easy to load and unload.

Yes Amarillo I have the ramps at the end of the channel's however it still does not stay closed,I have to use a cable tie to hold it in place and just cut it off when i need to open it (not great for such an expensive item) ive thought about using the short arm and fiddled about with it however the rack would have to be slightly open to do this and I dont trust the arm alone to hold it as its not the best built of things.

im 5 foot 8 and to be able to secure the bikes using the arms I need a ladder or chair to do it properly and safely,things that are available at home but not on the road.

I dont trust it,I think its an accident waiting to happen.

Yes Amarillo I have the ramps at the end of the channel's however it still does not stay closed,I have to use a cable tie to hold it in place and just cut it off when i need to open it (not great for such an expensive item) ive thought about using the short arm and fiddled about with it however the rack would have to be slightly open to do this and I dont trust the arm alone to hold it as its not the best built of things.

im 5 foot 8 and to be able to secure the bikes using the arms I need a ladder or chair to do it properly and safely,things that are available at home but not on the road.

I dont trust it,I think its an accident waiting to happen.

Use the wheel strap instead to secure it. image.jpg

My straps are hard plastic not cloth so they wont stretch that far...:(