Bikecover – What happend! What to buy?

Kmann

Kmann

Iben & Henrik
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Just before holiday takeoff we managed to get a Fiamma bikecover for 2-3 bikes. Mounted as should be (i think), it already started to destroy itself after 500 km – and after 5.200 km it had totally given up, and was wasted.

I do not think so, but did we do anything wrong? Or what should we buy – if we want a durable and sustainable solution?

The seller refunded the whole amount, without any trouble after I send the before and after pictures.

IMG_4300.JPG IMG_4301.JPG IMG_4302.JPG IMG_4303.JPG IMG_3907.JPG

We've got a cover from Taylormade. Very good, still like new after lots of use. I wrap 10m of shock cord over it to prevent anything getting loose and flapping.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

We've got a cover from Taylormade. Very good, still like new after lots of use. I wrap 10m of shock cord over it to prevent anything getting loose and flapping.

Thanks! When I google Taylormade, I only find som golf-stuff. Do you by any chance have a link?

Taylormade-covers.co.uk

Taylormade-covers.co.uk

Excellent as this was on my to do list. Going to get the Atera Strada DL3 which will most of the time have 2 bikes on it so perfect.
Will order the 1 slit version nearer the time.

Mike

Resistance? Its futile. (c7/9)

Hers is the Taylormade cover, on an Alterastrada3 with the shock cord keeping it all tight.

We bought the e-bike version with two splits which works really well. Its maybe a bit big even though we have ebikes!

I can understand the resistance thing. This is in an area of relatively low pressure so I don't think it is a great concern. I've certainly never noticed it impact on the fuel consumption.

Last edited:
Glad to hear your ok with the atera Strada DL3 with e bikes as I really want to get this rack but had some concern about future proofing as e bikes will possibly be on the horizon but don't want to compromise now on the basis of what I might need in the future. I know Atera do one for specifically E bikes but is heavier.
As for the cover I will look at them again and decide on the 1 split or 2 in view of what you've said.

Mike

How many bike racks do you need? :D

Seriously though, I've tried several cheap covers and found they just ripped to shreds, so I was thinking of getting the Fiamma. Glad I saw this post now, saved me the bother!

Also found it extremely unpleasant dealing with a large area of material covered in road filth.

It's easier to do without it and just wash the bikes. I normally cover anything electrical (wife's is a Batterybike) with a sandwich bag secured with elastic. Although this doesn't stop prying eyes seeing your fancy expensive bike, if you have one.

I have taken to driving to destination without cover and then fitting it on arrival, couldn't find a successful way of securing the thing.

I remember asking which bike cover worked best on a MTB forum , the responses I received were so so venomous I've not been on the forum since lol
I was told how stupid I was for even considering a cover!
I'm still not sure if it was just a new member initiation ceremony or not

I have taken to driving to destination without cover and then fitting it on arrival, couldn't find a successful way of securing the thing.

I remember asking which bike cover worked best on a MTB forum , the responses I received were so so venomous I've not been on the forum since lol

If you love cycling and have invested in some quite expensive bikes, the cover both covers the valued bikes from suspicious eyes and potential thieves. And it covers the bikes from dirt and water – still knowing biks can cope with the environment, but if you drive tru heavy rain for some hours, the gears, chain, etc. is all washed out and the bike covered from traffic dirt. I accept to wash and oil my rides after a fun time in the muddy forrest, but its annoring after a roadtrip. So a bikecover is protective in many ways.

If you drive in rain you will get lots of bad stuff in the drivetrain. I transported our newly cleaned 4 bikes without cover for 450km in rain on the highway. When riding them at the destination we had lots of bad sound from the chain.

Just before holiday takeoff we managed to get a Fiamma bikecover for 2-3 bikes. Mounted as should be (i think), it already started to destroy itself after 500 km – and after 5.200 km it had totally given up, and was wasted.

I do not think so, but did we do anything wrong? Or what should we buy – if we want a durable and sustainable solution?

The seller refunded the whole amount, without any trouble after I send the before and after pictures.

View attachment 15575 View attachment 15576 View attachment 15577 View attachment 15578 View attachment 15579

I shouldn't laugh but ours looked worse than that just from new forest to Basingstoke, at which time we made temporary fixes.....then on the same trip we threw the cover away and just bungeed the sign to the bikes... we don't bother with a cover any more, the bikes are now just securely locked to the rack and washed as required :thumb

10m of shock cord is 2 minutes of faffing to put on but its brilliant as it self tensions. Wrap it a few times and put a few lops in and there are no worries about it coming loose. I almost always fit the cover - not only do they stay clean but it makes me feel more secure knowing they're (sort of) out of site.

If it gets horribly dirty, its really easy to deal with partly because of the two splits - I sort of fold the "split bit" back over the cover and then just drape it around the bikes. I then tie the bottoms of the split closed after wrapping the material around the rack a few times - very secure. The fact that the rack tips makes it much easier to manage the cover.

I had the experience when I asked about a cover on an electric bike forum. As for a cover we did put one on for a trip to Devon but have decided to just cover the electrics etc on future journeys using the cover on the bikes when at a campsite (suitably chained). Off to Northern Spain with e bikes attached in a couple of weeks.

Taylormade-covers.co.uk

Hi!
Here is :" They are designed to only fit 2 adult bikes."
I have four bicycles to cover. Can you help with info?

We found our cover failed where the material rubbed against the brake cabling end. Any slight protrusion will rip the cover to shreds.

A friend of mine suggested some cardboard under the cover which rest against the first bike. Haven't tried it yet.

We decided on no bike cover as my bike is over 30 years old but my daughter last year had a new Victoria Pendleton bike. We did three weeks away in Europe....result the bike has worse rust than the 30 year old cheapie rubbish bike! Have just had to have new handlebars fitted and both brake cables had seized! I fancy one of the new A bikes electric then no need for a bike rack at all!

Yet another topic where it is a very personal choice and much to consider. I shall definitely go for one as I will have two nice bikes on the tow bar rack and on occasions three. I suspect when I travel to the Alps or similar my carbon road bike will be stripped down and transported inside.
Good tip about trying to eliminate any rough edges and strap it down tight with the bungee rope.

Mike

I've just returned from our first weeklong trip in our new van :) ...and bought a large Oxford Rainex motorbike cover from eBay to cover the 4 bikes on our towbar rack ...because I couldn't find any cycle specific covers large enough to cover 4 bikes that were suitable for a towbar rack. Anyway, I bought it primarily as a security measure since one of the mountain bikes is particularly expensive. I left the cover off for the motorway trips but put it on for more local trips (as I thought it might self-destruct at higher speeds). Whilst it was a good fit for 4 bikes and did the job as intended whilst stationary, it didn't survive 60mph (handlebars punching holes through the fabric). I know that's not it's intended purpose, so it's not a criticism of the cover. I suspect that I might buy a custom cover from http://www.bagsandcoversdirect.co.uk for future trips.