Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bikes don't fit carrier

Yorkie

Yorkie

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
IMG_3954.JPG IMG_3955.JPG IMG_3956.JPG
hi
I recently borrowed 2 new Marin bikes and struggled to make them fit the carrier. So any support would be appreciated.

The wheel span was greater than the slots for the straps and with 2 bikes on adjacent troughs they were too close to each other. I have pictures.

Try, try and try again! It can be a pain and I can never remember the previous ways I've managed to make it work with various combinations of our bikes.

Sometimes it's easier with 2 bikes to use the slot closest to the tailgate and then the 3rd one out, i.e. miss one slot out. You can also move the arms along the top bar a bit, or simply use just one of them and then lash the others alongside with luggage straps.

I've just splashed out on a specialized turbo levo. Amazing bike but.... To get it up on the rack I have to take the battery out! And the tyres just sit on top of the troughs! So next Cali if we ever trade ours in for a new one will have a towbar fitted and we'll buy one of the towbar racks. Maybe you should try one if you have a towbar?

It takes a bit of fiddling - seats up / down etc, but i can get 4 x full sized mountain bikes on mine at a squeeze - if two or three bikes only spread them out on the rails, and use the 4th bar bike if struggling -

Cable tie the wheels to the channels, try fixing the clamp to the seat post rather than the frame, turn handle bars through 90 degrees, put bike 1 on channel 2 and bike 2 on channel 4 use the extension bar to connect them, remove a pedal or two, bits of 15mm pipe lagging attached to sections of bike frames where they may rub other bikes.

Just a few ideas.

Last edited:
Cable tie the wheels to the channels, try fixing the clamp to the seat post rather than the frame, turn handle bars through 90 degrees, put bike 1 on channel 2 and bike 2 on channel 4 use the extension bar to connect them, remove a pedal or two, bits of 15mm pipe lagging attached to sections of bike frames where they may rub other bikes.

Just a few ideas.
Words of experience. Thanks.

Hi
While where on the subject of bikes fitting the bike rack can someone do me a favour with the new T6 bike rack could you measure the length of the runners (where the tires sit) for the bikes please.

I hauled four bikes plus a two child cycle trailer on my T6 bike rack to and from Nordkapp.
aa69e2d60c6483ee99b1bae21c6cea5e.jpg

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Hi
While where on the subject of bikes fitting the bike rack can someone do me a favour with the new T6 bike rack could you measure the length of the runners (where the tires sit) for the bikes please.

132cm including the black plastic end caps

Back