Bikes on Eurostar

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
A very restrictive bike service is resuming on Eurostar.
- bikes must be boxed

I don’t know why it is so restrictive. The service used to be very good.

1. Travel with your boxed or bagged bike on the train with you
2. Send your unboxed bike in advance

If my memory is correct, either service cost £10.

Why has Covid made it so difficult to reinstate this service?

A very restrictive bike service is resuming on Eurostar.
- bikes must be boxed

I don’t know why it is so restrictive. The service used to be very good.

1. Travel with your boxed or bagged bike on the train with you
2. Send your unboxed bike in advance

If my memory is correct, either service cost £10.

Why has Covid made it so difficult to reinstate this service?
Travelling with bikes is generally becoming more restrictive/constrained. Inter city trains in the UK are the same/worse story. Buses - don't even think about it.

Some of our cycling club folks have been recently asking around for cycling boxes to help with their travels to Europe.

A good approach - It may have been either Atlanta or Salt Lake City in the US - you could pop your cycles in front of the bus (had space for about 5 cycles) and you could board the bus. What a brilliant idea. I am sure the safety squad will be up in arms in the UK for having cycles sticking out front of a bus!

Need to have some innovative solutions if true green travel has to be promoted.

Travelling with bikes is generally becoming more restrictive/constrained. Inter city trains in the UK are the same/worse story. Buses - don't even think about it.

Some of our cycling club folks have been recently asking around for cycling boxes to help with their travels to Europe.

A good approach - It may have been either Atlanta or Salt Lake City in the US - you could pop your cycles in front of the bus (had space for about 5 cycles) and you could board the bus. What a brilliant idea. I am sure the safety squad will be up in arms in the UK for having cycles sticking out front of a bus!

Need to have some innovative solutions if true green travel has to be promoted.
Try travelling with a tandem - it's even more difficult.

The boys and I cycled from Gatwick Airport to Brighton, and travelled back on Southern Trains,

IMG_1640.JPG

You should have heard the moans and groans about us knocking out three folding seats even though we were using the designated bike space and the boys weren't taking up seats by sitting in the luggage rack.

At least Gatwick Airport has a good system to transport bikes from the terminal to the bike path.

IMG_1636.JPG

But getting a tandem from platform to terminal is more interesting.

The ride itself was with the Veteran Cars.

IMG_1637.JPG