Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bilstein B14 fitted but I’m a bit miffed.

s2bear

s2bear

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi all, had B14s fitted to my Beach today. As I understood it, the ride height is adjustable through a range of -40mm to -70mm vs stock. I asked the garage to lower it as little as possible in that range and naturally expected this to be -40mm.

My reason for this is I think that 30-40mm lower still looks good and is a practical compromise between stock and mowing the lawn with my car.

So, It comes out of the workshop -70mm and the technicians (who do LOADS of these - they had a shop full of T6s) insist they adjusted the coil overs for the minimum drop possible. They said they left only few threads showing at the top of the coilover and they did this as they’ve previously experienced the spring having some unwanted free movement when the setup is at the minimum limits.

1. I’m slightly miffed / disappointed by the result.
2. I look a bit like a clown who just won some cash and went straight down to Halfords.

I’m still on the 17” Cascavels until my new rims arrive and obviously things will look better when they’re on.

Has anyone else fitted B14s and achieved a lesser drop than -70mm?

The Handling has improved dramatically whilst the ride is noticeably firmer and akin to GTi levels of tautness rather than bone shaking. However, I don’t want a 70mm drop - I went with B14s as I wanted the best ride and -40mm. Ho hum!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought about getting B14s, and also would have wanted them as high as possible. But I ended up going for the Eibach 30mm, which is giving me a ride height of 420mm (wheel centre to top of arch). What ride height have you got now?

I thought about getting B14s, and also would have wanted them as high as possible. But I ended up going for the Eibach 30mm, which is giving me a ride height of 420mm (wheel centre to top of arch). What ride height have you got now?

Hi Stu, before the B14s I had 450mm Fr / 425 R, now I have around 380 Fr / 375 R.
Stu

Tell the techs it’s not what you wanted and get them to change it ?

Hi Stu, before the B14s I had 450mm Fr / 425 R, now I have around 380 Fr / 375 R.
Stu
Mine were exactly the same before. So the 30mm springs only dropped the red rear by 5mm. But that's what I was hoping for so all good.

@Kevthegas has a Beach with B14s, but I'm not aware of many others on here. Loads of them on t6forum.com so maybe worth asking over there.

Had b14s on my 15plate t5 Kombi
Totally adjustable throughout the 40 to 70mm I cannot see why you have been told this
Mine was wound right down to the bottom of the thread on the suspension strut and that’s how I wanted it,,..if yours has only a few threads before the bottom it’s almost on it’s maximum lowered setting you can just wind it back up
From what the garage is telling you they are basically removing the reason of buying an adjustable coilover kit.....ring the brand speak to the people there and explain what you have been told.im sure they will also disagree

Had b14s on my 15plate t5 Kombi
Totally adjustable throughout the 40 to 70mm I cannot see why you have been told this
Mine was wound right down to the bottom of the thread on the suspension strut and that’s how I wanted it,,..if yours has only a few threads before the bottom it’s almost on it’s maximum lowered setting you can just wind it back up
From what the garage is telling you they are basically removing the reason of buying an adjustable coilover kit.....ring the brand speak to the people there and explain what you have been told.im sure they will also disagree

This is all I could see as I couldn’t get my hands in there.
34a20caae84c444f04c0fe30fd6f3a54.jpg

This is all I could see as I couldn’t get my hands in there.
34a20caae84c444f04c0fe30fd6f3a54.jpg

By the looks of it there’s plenty thead left there so the haven’t wound it down very far.
That thread you see that’s left takes it lower, if you screw the castle nut the other way it takes it higher, I think it’s a case of the California is heavy so it doesn’t take much adjusting before it’s quite low.
In all honesty if your changing the wheels I think you will find it’s sat just right,,
Your new wheels will fill the arches more outwardly than the cascavels do..
I would not be disappointed buddy.
if you want it higher wind it the other way or tell them to do it..
The more you wind it up the tighter the spring will be
Not looser???
it has a helper spring this will only rattle when it’s at the lowest setting and for it to rattle it would have to be on the jack not compressed ...the way you want to do it (higher will have the opposite effect,and definitely not make it rattle it’s the latter that would.
but as I say only when it’s decompressed on a jack!!! I hope this makes sense???
Have you got a picture of the van sitting on a flat??

6d9f5cf9ceb2b3174833288638f6180c.jpg

I know I’m going to have ‘limited’ clearance with the new rims hence I only wanted around a 40mm drop. (I suspect the ride may be slightly softer if it’s not so low (?) I’m only basing this assumption on the the techs experience that these go even lower but ride badly) Hence my ‘miffed-ness’ as I read a lot on these and the literature says 40-70mm drop in some places and 30-50 in others. Went the coil over route as I previously lowered a fiat 500 on H&R springs and my wife almost gave birth en route to hospital when I hit a very small pothole/ cigarette butt/cats eye :D these ride much better even at this height.

I know I’m going to have ‘limited’ clearance with the new rims hence I only wanted around a 40mm drop. (I suspect the ride may be slightly softer if it’s not so low (?) I’m only basing this assumption on the the techs experience that these go even lower but ride badly) Hence my ‘miffed-ness’ as I read a lot on these and the literature says 40-70mm drop in some places and 30-50 in others. Went the coil over route as I previously lowered a fiat 500 on H&R springs and my wife almost gave birth en route to hospital when I hit a very small pothole/ cigarette butt/cats eye :D these ride much better even at this height.

I would just tell them to wind it up some if your not happy!!!!
Personally I think it’s nice as is,but I know the point your making,the ride was fine on my Kombi fully wound down on 20s but that was a Kombi

I would just tell them to wind it up some if your not happy!!!!
Personally I think it’s nice as is,but I know the point your making,the ride was fine on my Kombi fully wound down on 20s but that was a Kombi

Cheers @Jay17cali I think I’ll head back there after I’ve spoken to Bilstein tech - who finish work at 2:30 on fridays - lucky people! So all that thread at the bottom means it could be dropped much lower? thats why I was confused given it’s already -70 and thought that was maxed out. Anyway, I appreciate all the comments so thanks for the help. Stu

Cheers @Jay17cali I think I’ll head back there after I’ve spoken to Bilstein tech - who finish work at 2:30 on fridays - lucky people! So all that thread at the bottom means it could be dropped much lower? thats why I was confused given it’s already -70 and thought that was maxed out. Anyway, I appreciate all the comments so thanks for the help. Stu

Yep exactly Stu.
That thead left will lower it more still.

If you can imagine your moving the spring down the strut when you screw it down hence lowering the distance between the center of the wheel and the bottom of the spring
Funny really as my Kombi only went down as low as yours screwed fully to the bottom of the thead (maximum lowering setting)
It must be because the California is way more heavy due to the roof/interior ect.

By the way your van is screaming out for a satin black vw bike rack .
Just my opinion obviously:)
Good luck sorting it Stu..
Jason

when you say that you will only have limited clearance with the new rims.
Do mean between the sidewall to the wing edge or the top of the wheel arch?

You should have no change to the wheel arch top if using a direct wheel to tyre combination to match your original tyres.
ie 235/55.17 would be 255/45/18 anything bigger in tyre aspect would change the gearing and speedo .
17" wheels are 7" wide and 18" are 8" wide if VW spec.
What wheel tyre combination are you intending to fit?

when you say that you will only have limited clearance with the new rims.
Do mean between the sidewall to the wing edge or the top of the wheel arch?

You should have no change to the wheel arch top if using a direct wheel to tyre combination to match your original tyres.
ie 235/55.17 would be 255/45/18 anything bigger in tyre aspect would change the gearing and speedo .
17" wheels are 7" wide and 18" are 8" wide if VW spec.
What wheel tyre combination are you intending to fit?

I had same rolling radius in mind but wider so that means on full lock, clearance will be more limited on the inside of the wheel well (at the inside 10 o’clock position if you’re looking at the wheel face on) the lower the suspension is set. You’re correct in that there are no issues with the top of the wheel well (12 o’clock). -40mm and I wouldn’t have started the thread if you see what u mean - I was just surprised at the drop, that’s all. Will post a pic with some rims on when I get some.

I had same rolling radius in mind but wider so that means on full lock, clearance will be more limited on the inside of the wheel well (at the inside 10 o’clock position if you’re looking at the wheel face on) the lower the suspension is set. You’re correct in that there are no issues with the top of the wheel well (12 o’clock). -40mm and I wouldn’t have started the thread if you see what u mean - I was just surprised at the drop, that’s all. Will post a pic with some rims on when I get some.

The VW standard 18" are 8" wide with 50Offset. That doesn't appear to have any issues with clearances whether lowered or standard.
What size are you intending to fit?

I just measured mine and the ride height is 375 mm front and rear, no rubbing at all with 255/45/18 tyres.

Thanks. Good to know. S

I know this is an old thread.
But just wondering how your getting on with the b14s...?

Sounds like you are where I was last week. I gave up on the B14s (no stock) and ended up going with the 30mm VW lowering springs. (At least I can group this all up to the insurance under the VW sportline option, wheels, spoiler, springs)

Sounds like you are where I was last week. I gave up on the B14s (no stock) and ended up going with the 30mm VW lowering springs. (At least I can group this all up to the insurance under the VW sportline option, wheels, spoiler, springs)

It’s tempting to hit the b14 route.
But I am wondering about a 30mm drop on the front only. The drop is so modest I doubt it will have any adverse affects, but aesthetically it would sort the front looks higher than the back issue. Which is poor design work from Volkswagen

I've got the 30mm dealer fit lowering kit but I've been starting to think that the ride quality will only be significantly improved by moving to B14's. Currently the kids feel sick when they sit right at the back and I have to admit the ride is a little choppy. Whenever I drive along the A43 I start to think it could be better as it's difficult to carry any speed through the roundabouts there.

I've still got 16" wheels though, might change to 17" if I find a cheap set but wouldn't want to go too big to keep costs down. Maybe I'm getting some bounce from my big clown tyres :)

I know this is an old thread.
But just wondering how your getting on with the b14s...?
I like them but never got to the bottom of why I have to have a 70mm drop as opposed to the 40-70mm quoted by Bilstein. One shop reckons there’s plenty of thread to go higher but the fitting shop reckoned I’d only get it maybe 5mm higher. It’s a firm but quality ride (especially given how low it now is) and in combination with HD Anti Roll Bars it handles better than any van has a right to. Kinda GTi ish/very planted. Obviously I’m not going to pretend it soaks up pot holes and yes I definitely avoid manhole covers if I can but that’s also because I’m running 20” wheels.

Happy to compare back to back vs the VW/ Eibach 30mm spring drop if anyone is in the Teddington (W.London) area.