Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Black Bike Rack

T

timhutch

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
A few mentioned they would be interested to see the finished black bike rack...

Thanks to Phil for the drawing.

Just needs a few replacement plastic bits that would not remove intact.

Nightmare of a job.

photo.JPG photo2.JPG

Nice one ...:) ... I always love to see something new and different from the norm on cali's... now there's more about it seems more people are willing to mod them and I love it :) ....

That looks really smart. Is the building behind the van a tax haven? I spent a couple of days in Zug this week (not in the van sadly) and was amazed by the amount of Ferraris around the place!

Wow, that looks really smart. Good work :thumb

Suits the rest of the van really nicely

Now that does look :cool
Just like the number plate.
As nice as the silver rack looks,I think maybe shouts just a tad on a dark colour.

Nice one Tim

Alan

Wow looks fantastic! Only noticed this thread by chance .... Has this been dismantled & sprayed or is it a powder coating job ?

Really pro job

Dismantled and Powder Coated I think.

Time to get rid of the GB sticker I think Tim, your plates should meet with the legal requirements.

Stu said:
Dismantled and Powder Coated I think.

Time to get rid of the GB sticker I think Tim, your plates should meet with the legal requirements.

:smile exactly what I was thinking Stu!

Looks good though Tim, glad you got it back together. :cool

Wow that looks fantastic I love to see something different nice one... :thumb

Looks good. Suits the colour of the van very well indeed.

cheers

Californiaman said:
That looks really smart. Is the building behind the van a tax haven? I spent a couple of days in Zug this week (not in the van sadly) and was amazed by the amount of Ferraris around the place!

My building really is a tax haven, mainly due to the amount of money I lose being quite tax efficient!!! I import products from a company based in Zug and spend a great deal of time there.

Zug is the lowest corporation tax rate Canton in Switzerland, so there's a few lads there with money! It's worth a trip in the Summer, there are a few nice lakeside campsites. Luzerne is a better bet for a week's trip, as there's much more to do. You can leave the van parked up as much can be reached by cycle, on foot and by boat.

Stu said:

Stu - Somebody nicked it at the weekend!

Excellent, did you a favour ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Did you have this painted yourself? It looks very good.

Hi Rich
Took it to bits then had all the components powder coated. I wanted to get it anodised for durability but there are ferrous components (captive nuts) that prevented this.

I'm really glad I did this. Probably my best upgrade/mod. Let me know if you need any tips or help. Also - I bought loads of new fittings to replace various blind riveted parts, so if you wanna do this I can send you all the s/a bolts you need. Pm me.

What Corrado you got? Was looking to buy one this Christmas.

Cheers

T

Thanks Tim, I don't get the Cali till march but this is defiantly something I will do so I will give you a shout nearer the time. It looks much better than silver, and since I'm going for a black Cali with black bars, black wheels and blacked out windows, I might as well go the whole hog!

I don't have a corrado anymore but had two in the past.
One was a 2.0 16v and the other was the 2.9 VR6, great cars but getting old now and you would struggle to find one that won't cost loads of money to keep on the road. That said I still think the look the nuts!

A few mentioned they would be interested to see the finished black bike rack...

Thanks to Phil for the drawing.

Just needs a few replacement plastic bits that would not remove intact.

Nightmare of a job.

View attachment 1127 View attachment 1128

Looks great, I am just about to dismantle mine did you manage to remove and replace the grommets that the straps pass through to hold the bike wheels?

Last edited:
Snap nightmare of a job but well worth it.
Had mine anodised just gutted it won't fit my new t6 Cali that's on order:(

When you got this anodised did you manage to remove and replace grommets in track the bike wheels sit in ?
Yep when you have taken the rails off put them on a radiator it the house,it softens them that was the easy but ha ha
Itsvis a pain but anodising looks stunning, factory if you like!

My wife has been nagging me tonight to put the heating on, guess I might have give in then :thumb

Back