Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Black Forest, Germany in Summer UK school holidays

Seaside Sussex

Seaside Sussex

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Thinking of heading to the Black Forest in the UK school summer holidays.

We (@zerofour, I and our two children) will have 2 weeks in total and will go via Eurotunnel.

Pre-Billy (our Cali), we've spent a lot of time in France so are keen to discover elsewhere.

Any ideas of itineraries, recommended campsites, place to go en route and via, would be most welcome. We'd ideally like to travel around, but have a 4-5 night stay in one place, to relax.

Many thanks.

Nice one - I've only ever driven through the area in a hurry, but have 'mentally bookmarked' it as somewhere to go back to, so v. interested in any one elses experiences too please.

Planning to spend a week there end Aug beginning of Sept. northern area just NE of Strasbourg is the plan. Found a site that sounds good and nearby to lots of cycling routes. Sent an enquiry mail a week ago but not heard back yet so will also keeping an eye on this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was there last 'summer' unfortunately it rained and rained and rained.

Lots of cake helped cheer me up!

We explored the area two weeks ago (30 cm snow on some days...), following a very nice route along back roads. See this link for the route we followed. We could send you an .itn or .gpx file.

We liked Camping zur Mühle in Kirnbach.

Here is a photo album of the trip.

Freiburg im Breisgau is very much worth a city visit. A nice city camping very nearby is Camping am Möslepark. As you can see, lots of Cali's, there:

Mf1Ubv7MWf0G33d3vRXtLCH34OSffRroy-vT01BOBxG_UuoC9LWk3CQ3CBdRT2H3GX_73GFpGn-fkXkjJV-RAeYGyQLS_QkPuR1tWGMT6it6C8JwVAa-9cFGVaMXCdqFj1cDa_JG966hjG2cV2nPTJy5byzYj3XYBJPRRc5z3UEQNVh0F8HbMsnNrVz9tZD7MJk6ZI7z5PJZ0DZzS6_rn1rZvuQWngv1m9Bqs0DyQqf19ixD7jV8PtJSCtNr3zYDU8kwKvbMx6C2_I_4y5P3aARPbHUayUVu3MvaaZdK0Fxrn5_hovLMCnAcncQTJXxPUCN4pNqkhNi72Cri7mNqwY98jM4cEUhh_LV9s3UI66rDG6pUkVifz-VFIk_DhfgUlfyMJcwOq2a9f4ZzO2fPJBvK08xUqdhtH3RmLEFC5lulOtMzA5fj5knmBzH4eDxBI6RM8MjhpCGpBjYQbeTdxHYcMt_dG0dNaUKUCRkuxKfxkL9r7kArjoasVONQq7w-qy55OxXKOYvAR-GltX8Zsbk0QgTP8ScNtX_8o819jKv1U44IgtdTmfso8iOp4qXcBZP0MXfdi-pu_u-Jzcnl5-q0T8-9Pwr1H3p8WUuE8j2hxx4kP56cSr2SRV-6G5-btiNp83TT4Ppb9vBjizvH74zFcGHqJdWnRde9v7wISns=w1936-h1290-no

Last edited:
Thank you @bvddobb I've now had the opportunity to take a look at the sites you recommended, and the photos look super. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Lots of food for thought!

If you can go down that far a trip to see the Rhine Falls, Rheinfall, is a memorable experience. I forget which side that you can go down to where the water rushes past an arms length away. The natural power is something for your kids to remember.1972 I went hence memory prob on which side.

rethink- It was probably on the Castle side, left bank looking downstream.

Last edited:
We went to Baden Baden last year, I think that's in the black forest? We stayed there for a few days last September at a site called Camping Adam.
Would recommend it especially if you have kids as the pitches are around a public lake so fun for them.
It was 31 degrees when we were there which was unexpected to say the least. It's nearer Buhl than Baden Baden so you'll have to drive if you wanted to visit there (if you want to catch the bus then you have to change at Buhl so we couldn't be bothered with it).
We liked Baden Baden it was quite posh and very well kept, well worth a visit and there's some really good castle ruins just out of the city which were very interesting.

Another one to add to your list is Camping Belchenblick in Staufen-im-Breisgau. The site is great and plenty of walks and cycle paths around. Freiburg and Europapark are a short drive. The town is a short walk from the site and has plenty of great little restaurants etc.

Staufen also hosts a wine festival from 4th - 7th August which has entertainment for adults and kids alike.

We last went a few years ago but are returning there this year for a 4 night stop on our way to Austria.

Thanks @AnneMarie I'm intrigued as to what the blue bridge is in the photos across the site you mention?!

Hi, the whole area is where 2 rivers meet, so there is an old woodmil, that was connected to the forest via trains. These are walks now, although there is one train line that still runs and disappears in to the hill, I keep imagining 2 cowboys fighting on the roof! There's also a traditional tanners making real lederhosen.

The Southern Schwartzwald is also lovely. My in-laws are from this area so I go out there every year. I haven't stayed in the camping places so can't recommend them. However, for fantastic walks, great beer, really good local wine (red and white) and 'wild' (game) specialities this is the area to go to. Rothaus Brewery has a camping place, my favourite brewery is on the B500 near Hausern - Waldhaus. There is a super little Speck Hausli (ham house) between Rothaus and Schlusee. Sankt Blasien is a lovely old village with monastery. Titisee is very pretty but can get busy. Any questions, please ask. There are some fantastic stopover places between Calais and Freiberg - you can go the fast route via Strasbourg or a prettier and slower one via Troyes. Enjoy!
schwartzwald.JPG

The Southern Schwartzwald is also lovely. My in-laws are from this area so I go out there every year. I haven't stayed in the camping places so can't recommend them. However, for fantastic walks, great beer, really good local wine (red and white) and 'wild' (game) specialities this is the area to go to. Rothaus Brewery has a camping place, my favourite brewery is on the B500 near Hausern - Waldhaus. There is a super little Speck Hausli (ham house) between Rothaus and Schlusee. Sankt Blasien is a lovely old village with monastery. Titisee is very pretty but can get busy. Any questions, please ask. There are some fantastic stopover places between Calais and Freiberg - you can go the fast route via Strasbourg or a prettier and slower one via Troyes. Enjoy!
View attachment 21594

Really helpful, thank you @julianjdj

Back