Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Blind spot mirror for when driving on the continent

gotat5cali

gotat5cali

PhillipR
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi, we are in Germany at the moment, and I had a hairy moment on a de-restricted autobahn when I pulled out to overtake and narrowly missed side swiping a car that was in my near side (offside here, of course) blindspot. I do normally glance out of the near side windows when overtaking on continental roads to see if anything is there but this time I had a lapse of concentration, with nearly disastrous consequences. The problem is that the near side mirror on the T5 has no blindspot vision at all so one has to be 100% vigilant, and even then, when you're on an unrestricted autobahn, cars that weren't there when you did look are right next to you two seconds later.

So, the question is, am I the only one, and, if not, as I suspect, what extra measures do others take. I am assuming that an additional "blindspot mirror" that fixes to the existing one will be the answer but there may be others. I would be grateful for your advice

Phillip R

We drive a lot on the continent, all we do is adjust the offside mirror outwards by a few degrees. You should not have an problem with the blind spot as you just look out the window above the cooker. Not much different to the old days before blind spot mirrors were invented where we used to look over our shoulder.

I look in the mirrors very frequent whilst driving to be aware of the upcoming traffic from behind .
The problem i find is that particular in Germany on parts of the autobahn where it is allowed to drive harder than 130km/h you can simply not tell how fast they are gooing ....
In normal conditions 120-130km/h spotting a verhicle in the mirror you can by you own experience estimate when he wil be next to you overtaking , but when that car is doing 160 or even 180km/h or more you can not estimate how much time it takes till he is next to you and so it happens a car is suddeny next to you on witch you where not even awere it was coming looking in the mirror every minute....
The same with motorbikes doing high speed.

Reactions: wyn
Readjust the mirrors, and don't leave anything to the last minute. On the Autobahn as soon as I see something ahead that I am gaining on I start planning. If there is something in the outside lane I throttle back as they could be going very fast. If it is clear then I indicate well in advance of pulling out checking mirrors and L side windows. On restricted motorways with speed limits , although overtaking fast vehicles are rarely going like a bat out of hell so if something is coming in the far distance I indicate as soon as I see it and start moving. Better to slow down than rush things.:thumb

Thanks chaps, WelshGas, mr Hotel and BigMan. So far, then the consensus is adjust mirrors, and drive carefully and extra carefully where Autobahnen are concerned. Well the problem is I think I am careful (Mrs R begs to differ somewhat) but I can be extra vigilant. Except when I'm not - and that's the problem. So, while I accept the advice so far I would still like to know if anyone has any thoughts about extra mirrors etc that might also help (I think Frau R would like that as well)

Maybe something like this to stick on the existing mirror?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N3OFLL6/?tag=eliteelect-21

My experience with driving on the continent is that the Cali mirrors and visibility is pretty good and better than most cars. Only issue I have had is turning right at junctions with a shallow angle where you have to look across and through the side rear windows to see if the road is clear. Less of an issue in the Beach as no rear wardrobe.

I inherited those on my van. Using the off side one from the drivers perch is all but useless. The image is so small its quicker to turn around and look back through the windows.

Given the speed delta of approaching vehicles on the autobahn in this thread, I wouldn't trust them.

Just read the road ahead and don't get caught in the wrong lane or, stay out there and keep the right foot buried :Stig

I inherited those on my van. Using the off side one from the drivers perch is all but useless. The image is so small its quicker to turn around and look back through the windows.

Given the speed delta of approaching vehicles on the autobahn in this thread, I wouldn't trust them.

Just read the road ahead and don't get caught in the wrong lane or, stay out there and keep the right foot buried :Stig
Thanks, I'll save my money :thanks

That driving on a german Autobahn can be so unnerving has more to do with the tremendous speed differences (a lorry doing 80 km/h ahead of you, some BMW behind you doing 200 km/h) than with your blind spot mirror. We have a 'continental' Cali, and it is sometimes as unnerving for us as you describe here. I am a coach driver as well, and then I'm restricted to 100 km/h myself, and it is no fun then, I tell you...

There are really only three possible solutions:
  • stay 'with it' and anticipate even more than you would normally do, as described above;
  • if you are driving from the UK to e.g. Italy, Switzerland or Croatia: take the french toll roads. You pay, but they are much better than the german Autobahn, far less traffic, no road works every 10 km, etc.
  • forget the Autobahn altogether, and have a much more leisurely drive on back roads. It may take a day longer to get to the Alps, but it is much more of a 'holiday'!! This is our preferred solution.

I recall many a trip between Hamburg and Berlin back in the early 90's.

Driving a rental Ford our closing speed on the Trabby up front was huge as was that of the Porsche bearing down on us from behind. Different times.

There are various clamp on ones available that sit on top of your mirror but as it quite a long way to the nearside mirror viewing is difficult.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADJUSTABL...159576?hash=item1c1c04c798:g:SUcAAOSwll1Wy3KT

There is also the classic car type clamp on that fits onto the door frame, probably damage the paintwork.

I found that as I am fairly tall the rear view mirror is virtually useless as the rear roof storage pod blocks most of the rearward view preventing keeping an eye on traffic approaching from behind. I'm still trying to find a workable solution

It is possible to permanently activate the reverse camera whilst driving.

It is possible to permanently activate the reverse camera whilst driving.
But that would be worse than using wing mirrors. Only has a short range, directly behind vehicle, not the blind spot.
Isn't the modern equivalent of blind spot mirrors the Lane Assist as available on the T6.

Just checked, just keeps you between the white lines, and someone pays for this?

Mirror - Indicate- PRAY - Move Over.

Add a orange flashing light on rear

get a 204

I find the M25 bad enough

But that would be worse than using wing mirrors. Only has a short range, directly behind vehicle, not the blind spot.
Isn't the modern equivalent of blind spot mirrors the Lane Assist as available on the T6.

Just checked, just keeps you between the white lines, and someone pays for this?

Welsh Gas, The "Lane Change Assist - Side Scan" does warn you if there is something in your blind spot. I have added it as an option as I have it on my RR Evoque presently. On the Evoque it is in the wing mirror glass L & R side. It flashes like crazy if a car/vehicle is in the blind spot or approaching you at higher than your speed. I like it. Thats on the 2017 spec. You may be refering to the lane "wandering" thing.... It lets you know if you are drifting out of your lane... I agree this is a waste of money....

I think for a right hand drive driving a Cali (Which I have not yet) in Europe the Side Scan/Blindspot monitor, if it works the same as the RR will make me feel "safer"... Cant wait... Only weeks now... Perhaps 3 then Spain.........

Welsh Gas, The "Lane Change Assist - Side Scan" does warn you if there is something in your blind spot. I have added it as an option as I have it on my RR Evoque presently. On the Evoque it is in the wing mirror glass L & R side. It flashes like crazy if a car/vehicle is in the blind spot or approaching you at higher than your speed. I like it. Thats on the 2017 spec. You may be refering to the lane "wandering" thing.... It lets you know if you are drifting out of your lane... I agree this is a waste of money....

I think for a right hand drive driving a Cali (Which I have not yet) in Europe the Side Scan/Blindspot monitor, if it works the same as the RR will make me feel "safer"... Cant wait... Only weeks now... Perhaps 3 then Spain.........
Side Scan is excellent and you won't be disappointed. One tip when you get it is to adjust the brightness from the MFD.
Solid light if you are not indicating and it picks something up and flashes if you are indicating which you should be if your changing lanes.

Mike

I've driven a LHD unit in the UK for six years. I can honestly say I've never had a blind spot issue!

I took my RR to Italy last year and none of the tech helped. For safety I frequently ended up following the slower vehicle for a while. Next time I will avoid Germany altogether.
Ps. The RR is no slouch so I returned at the higher speeds to spend more time in the fast lane as it's easier to pay attention to the front than rear, don't tell my missus though.

I drive minimum 30K a year and the motorbike in France/Spain.... Done advanced on motorbike... OK getting older now but love the side scan.. It gives peace of mind.. 1 incident prevented and its paid for. Yes dont rely on it and still be observant but its another tool in the safety box. I would recommend it..

My wife would disagree that I am a good driver... But she also has never had an incident??? Im sure she leaves a wake behind her though..

Side scan sounds even better on the Cali than the 2015 RR Evoque, so great..

Cant wait..

Only has a short range, directly behind vehicle, not the blind spot.

So I checked this yesterday on a dual carriageway. To reiterate, I'm a lefty in the U.K. so a mirror opposite of the OP scenario.

With the camera activated (my unit has approx 175 degree vision angle) I can still see the whole of a passing cars rear wheel whilst its nose is level with my B pillar.
In other words, at no point does it disappear from view.

Add in the fact that, in order to look at the offside mirror your head is rotated approx 35 degrees allowing sight of all of the side windows back to the C pillar in your peripheral vision.
The passing car is clearly visible, in fact you'd need to be "driving with your eyes closed" to miss it. (Great Don Henley track by the way.....)

Leaving the camera out of it, I checked on approaching traffic in the rear view mirror, tracking it as it moves out of the view of the rear view mirror and into that of the wing mirror.
Again, at no point does it vanish. Add in the rotated head/peripheral vision described above and the passing car is impossible to miss.

No further questions.

@sidepod , not everyone has the disipline to engage themselve to focus on "driving" when behind the steeringwheel.
Now a days there are to much other things going on in a car : satnav,mobile phones , kids watching DVD , cruise control taking over .....all this takes the focus away from the driving .
The important thing is to look arround when driving beeing aware what is going on on the road and around you .
In the end it is the driver who makes decisions and not any electronic gadget can stop him from making a mistake.

Nice see you know Don's songbook....the boys of summer is my favorite ...;)
The best is seeing him singing/playing drums on hotel california with the Eagles!

So I checked this yesterday on a dual carriageway. To reiterate, I'm a lefty in the U.K. so a mirror opposite of the OP scenario.

With the camera activated (my unit has approx 175 degree vision angle) I can still see the whole of a passing cars rear wheel whilst its nose is level with my B pillar.

Add in the fact that, in order to look at the offside mirror your head is rotated approx 35 degrees allowing sight of all of the side windows back to the C pillar in your peripheral vision.
The passing car is clearly visible, in fact you'd need to be "driving with your eyes closed" to miss it. (Great Don Henley track by the way.....)

Leaving the camera out of it, I checked on approaching traffic in the rear view mirror, tracking it as it moves out of the view of the rear view mirror and into that of the wing mirror.
Again, at no point does it vanish. Add in the rotated head/peripheral vision described above and the passing car is impossible to miss.

No further questions.
Sorry. A further question..... Can you tell me what blind spot means. You were alert, not tired and doing it as an experiment. Its not always that clinical and indeed turning the head and looking is known as a lifesave to motorcyclists, to check the blindspot...... Its an aid. Its not the silver bullet...

I like it..

Blind spot - every vehicle will have an area where it is not possible to see in the rear view or side mirrors without head movement. If you think you have none then what is on the ground near your Cali on the passenger side between the front and rear wheels up to about a metre out? That's the area normally associated with HGV's and Buses as their 'Blindspot' they have a special mirror to overcome this and are now having cameras fitted.

No further questions.
Glad to know mirrors are effective. Personally I've not had a problem.

Blind spot - every vehicle will have an area where it is not possible to see in the rear view or side mirrors without head movement. If you think you have none then what is on the ground near your Cali on the passenger side between the front and rear wheels up to about a metre out? That's the area normally associated with HGV's and Buses as their 'Blindspot' they have a special mirror to overcome this and are now having cameras fitted.
They are a little bigger and longer than a California. Don't think you would be able to fit a car, motorcycle or bicycle in the California 's blind spot. On second thoughts a " Sinclair " might. Showing my age now.:D

Back