Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Blue Motion

M

MidgleyVW

VIP Member
Hi just had my California a few weeks and noticed these last few trips the engine isnt stopping every time I pull up. I dont know if anything effects it ? I had not disabled it on the dash.
I have tried pulling up abruptly and it stopped but gentle halts it keeps going Just wondered is there another switch that trips it something on the steering wheel ? If I had not wanted it to cut out for short intervals I have kept the clutch down which keeps it running . Lifting the clutch up in neutral it should stop ? I dont like things that are intermittently working drives me mad

MidgleyVW said:
Hi just had my California a few weeks and noticed these last few trips the engine isnt stopping every time I pull up. I dont know if anything effects it ? I had not disabled it on the dash.
I have tried pulling up abruptly and it stopped but gentle halts it keeps going Just wondered is there another switch that trips it something on the steering wheel ? If I had not wanted it to cut out for short intervals I have kept the clutch down which keeps it running . Lifting the clutch up in neutral it should stop ? I dont like things that are intermittently working drives me mad

As a broad rule of thumb start/stop won't work until the engine is up to temp. air con is high, or you've driven a short distance. It's just failsafes built into the system. Personally I have never noticed any difference to mpg with start stop but I do use if I am stuck in traffic for example.

James

Thanks James guess I should have known that but I have not read the manual front to back yet but I suppose it makes sense and yes they were short trips
Thanks Ray

As James has said but also when battery charge is not up to a certsain level so stop/start cuts out to preserve battery charge. Short journeys, slow moving stop-=start traffic, vehicle unused for a while all affects it.

Well, that's what my "other german car" handbook says :D

You can easily see if the start/stop is inhibited (rather than just not working) as the start/stop symbol (an 'A' with a circular arrow around it) is shown on the dash with a line through it...

Our new Beach (picked up less than a week ago), did its stop start business perfectly for two days and then started stop starting, if you see what I mean). We checked all the caveats in the manual (air con, engine temperature, incline etc) and none were to blame. The A with the line through came up on the dash so we knew the van thought it should be stop starting but then thought better of it.

By experimenting, we've now found that if we turn the cruise control function switch off and then back on again, the stop start works again. We don't have to actually use cruise control; just switch it on.

Has anyone had a similar issue and any ideas why this might be the case. We don't want to be without our new van while the dealership works it out and, as we have a workaround, we can live with it, but it's puzzling and a little concerning.

I was told so many things can affect it that you can't necessarily put it down to one thing.
Mine certainly seems to have a mind it's own when deciding to operate, particularly when it has a hissy fit because I haven't said good morning to it!

That's true, but there's no mention of something so seemingly unrelated as 'cruise control must be off and then on' in the manual. That seems more glitch than reason to me.

If you slow down and stop with minimum braking the Stop/Start does not engage unless you press a little firmer on the footbrake. I can slow and stop at traffic lights with minimal braking - No Stop/Start. Press on the footbrake and engine then stops.and you get the A symbol then.

Did I miss when 'reason' was a part of VW philosophy?
I quite often coast out of gear up to a red light and stop with little brake pressure and on engaging the hand brake the engine stops. No firmness needed.

Ahh, but you don't have a DSG gearbox.

You're loss:bananadance :bananadance

Each to his own.:thumb

Too true. After 48 years of manual gear boxes thought it was time for a change, to experience something different and I'm quite enjoying it.

Sadly I can boast more years of manual boxes and even more sadly I miss the need/enjoyment for double de-clutching:embarrased

Sadly I can boast more years of manual boxes and even more sadly I miss the need/enjoyment for double de-clutching:embarrased
Same here. However double declutching allegedly prolongs the life of the dmf so do I it, good practice for when I get the old Mini back on the road again. :)

Back