Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Continued from part one.

So what would I change?

Well frankly very little and I must stress that we are completely happy with BlueBelle bus but to help others considering a Beach, if we were to ever replace this one then:
1. I would prefer a dsg gearbox. We also have an SE with dsg. It is quite simply superb!
2. I have found that I have to speak up alot when talking to people in the rear. This can be a bit wearing and is a nuisance. Therefore the voice enhancement option would be very useful. Can it be retro fitted?
3. I would probably go for a brighter headlight option than the standard one.
4. The heavy sliding door has proved a challenge to some passengers so far, especially when facing uphill, so the electric door option would be a useful improvement. If facing down hill it can be dangerous to close as the door is heavy and slams shut with quite a bang. At the very least I would spec the electric closing assist.
5. The 16" standard alloy wheels are fine. They give a better ride and the tyres are cheaper to buy. Also, the higher side walls make it slightly more difficult to curb the alloys. However I have found that the wheels are fiddly to clean so a simpler design would be preferred. As we sometimes have seven people in the van and intend to tow a heavy trailer occasionally, I would specify the 17" brake upgrade with the easier to clean 17" Devonport alloys.
6. The reverse camera would be a useful aid when connecting our trailer.
7. I would consider the adaptive cruise control with auto brake option purely as I find it annoying on motorways when you constantly have to re-engage the cruise when people keep slowing you down.

So what's gone wrong ?

1. There has been an annoying rattle from somewhere high up in the rear of the van. So far it has eluded all attempts to track it down. However as time goes by I am finding that I am noticing it less and less. Its still there though!
2. The sliding door handle is very stiff and can be difficult to open.
3. Initially there was a rattle coming from the wind out awning. Since traced and iliminated.
So all in all, nothing much at all. The above issues will be reported to SMG for a fix when we next visit them.

Which dealer fitted accessories did we go for?

1. VW T5 stainless side pipes (purely bling I am afraid but I think that it finishes the van off).
2. Mudflaps, both ends. They are cheaper when factory fitted.
3. Thule wind out awning (eye wateringly expensive but a factory fitted one wasn't included, I couldn't locate one second hand and IMO it isn't a true Cali without one). They are so useful so are an essential option IMO. Make sure you order a factory fitted one to save yourself a small fortune.
4. Rear bumper protection.
5. Autoglym lifeshine treatment which includes exterior paint, glass and interior upholstery.
6. Rubber Monster mats.

What other non dealer fitted accessories have we fitted?

1. Steering lock (Halfords Pro lock).
2. Brandrup over carpets for the cab, centre compartment and boot.
3. Brandrup Isotop lV internal gortex pop top roof liner.
4. Brandrup internal insulated windscreen and side indow screens.
Note: IMO Brandrup stuff is of excellent quality but takes an age to come. Ordered in January delivered in June!
5. The California step mats from the club shop.
6. The spare wheel safe thingy. Essential.
7. The roof bellows bungee. Essential.
8. Comfortz upper and lower waterproof mattress covers.
9. Comfortz waterproof seat covers.
10. Battery voltage tester for checking the condition of the leisure battery. Essential.
11. The Beach starter pack from the club shop.
12. Assorted Really Useful Boxes for storing all of our stuff neatly in the boot.

View attachment 16092
So in conclusion, we have found the Beach to be a very versatile, well designed and well built vehicle that can do most family related tasks exceptionally well. It is much much more than just a car and I can now see why they all end up becoming a much loved long term member of the family, each with their own name.
Sorry about the length of this missive but hopefully it will be of use to someone contemplating the big purchase decision.

Last edited:
It's very reassuring to hear positives about the California, instead of doom and gloom, thanks for that.

Steel wheels for winters are on my list also care to expand on the steering lock?

Teejay

It's very reassuring to hear positives about the California, instead of doom and gloom, thanks for that.

Steel wheels for winters are on my list also care to expand on the steering lock?

Teejay
The steering lock is was purchased from Halfords to provide an extra deterent against theft. It's called the Pro lock and is effectively a large steel bar covered in bright yellow plastic that you lock to the steering wheel to prevent the wheel from being used. It is Thatcham approved and has endorsments from the police and others. I don't know if it forms any real deterrent to a determined thief but if it slows them down and ruins their day it must be worth having.
Just a small criticism though. Fitting it can scratch the shiny black plastic part on the steering wheel if you aren't very careful.

Sorry, the inclusion of the steel wheels with winter tyres was an error. It was late or rather early when I wrote the post and I was thinking of the set we had bought for our SE. However I fully intend to buy a set for the Beach before the winter arrives.

The steering lock is was purchased from Halfords to provide an extra deterent against theft. It's called the Pro lock and is effectively a large steel bar covered in bright yellow plastic that you lock to the steering wheel to prevent the wheel from being used. It is Thatcham approved and has endorsments from the police and others. I don't know if it forms any real deterrent to a determined thief but if it slows them down and ruins their day it must be worth having.
Just a small criticism though. Fitting it can scratch the shiny black plastic part on the steering wheel if you aren't very careful.

Sorry, the inclusion of the steel wheels with winter tyres was an error. It was late or rather early when I wrote the post and I was thinking of the set we had bought for our SE. However I fully intend to buy a set for the Beach before the winter arrives.
I forgot to mention that when I take this steering lock off I have started locking it away in the boot. If we were to have an accident I wouldn't want that thing flying around inside the vehicle. It could give someone some severe injuries.

Continued from part one.

So what would I change?

Well frankly very little and I must stress that we are completely happy with BlueBelle bus but to help others considering a Beach, if we were to ever replace this one then:
1. I would prefer a dsg gearbox. We also have an SE with dsg. It is quite simply superb!
2. I have found that I have to speak up alot when talking to people in the rear. This can be a bit wearing and is a nuisance. Therefore the voice enhancement option would be very useful. Can it be retro fitted?
3. I would probably go for a brighter headlight option than the standard one.
4. The heavy sliding door has proved a challenge to some passengers so far, especially when facing uphill, so the electric door option would be a useful improvement. If facing down hill it can be dangerous to close as the door is heavy and slams shut with quite a bang. At the very least I would spec the electric closing assist.
5. The 16" standard alloy wheels are fine. They give a better ride and the tyres are cheaper to buy. Also, the higher side walls make it slightly more difficult to curb the alloys. However I have found that the wheels are fiddly to clean so a simpler design would be preferred. As we sometimes have seven people in the van and intend to tow a heavy trailer occasionally, I would specify the 17" brake upgrade with the easier to clean 17" Devonport alloys.
6. The reverse camera would be a useful aid when connecting our trailer.
7. I would consider the adaptive cruise control with auto brake option purely as I find it annoying on motorways when you constantly have to re-engage the cruise when people keep slowing you down.

So what's gone wrong ?

1. There has been an annoying rattle from somewhere high up in the rear of the van. So far it has eluded all attempts to track it down. However as time goes by I am finding that I am noticing it less and less. Its still there though!
2. The sliding door handle is very stiff and can be difficult to open.
3. Initially there was a rattle coming from the wind out awning. Since traced and iliminated.
So all in all, nothing much at all. The above issues will be reported to SMG for a fix when we next visit them.

Which dealer fitted accessories did we go for?

1. VW T5 stainless side pipes (purely bling I am afraid but I think that it finishes the van off).
2. Mudflaps, both ends.
3. Thule wind out awning (eye wateringly expensive but a factory fitted one wasn't included, I couldn't locate one second hand and IMO it isn't a true Cali without one). They are so useful so are an essential option IMO. Make sure you order a factory fitted one to save yourself a small fortune.
4. Rear bumper protection.
5. Autoglym lifeshine treatment.
6. Rubber Monster mats.

What other non dealer fitted accessories have we fitted?

1. Steering lock
2. Brandrup over carpets for the cab, centre compartment and boot.
3. Brandrup Isotop lV internal gortex pop top roof liner.
4. Brandrup internal insulated windscreen and side indow screens.
5. The California step mats from the club shop.
6. The spare wheel safe thingy,
7. The roof bellows bungee.
8. Comfortz upper and lower waterproof mattress covers.
9. Comfortz waterproof seat covers.
10. Battery voltage tester for checking the condition of the leisure battery.
11. The Beach starter pack from the club shop.
12. Assorted Really Useful Boxes for storing all of our stuff neatly in the boot.

View attachment 16092
So in conclusion, we have found the Beach to be a very versatile, well designed and well built vehicle that can do most family related tasks exceptionally well. It is much much more than just a car and I can now see why they all end up becoming a much loved member of the family, each with their own names.
Sorry about the length of this missive but hopefully it will be of use to someone contemplating the big purchase decision.

Great post.

First time owner of a Cali. Picked up 66 Reg Beach 03 Sept. Was dealer spec so could not choose.

It really is super flexible, which means learning a lot of things, and recalling them, and not making mistakes!

So it made me think more automation rather than less is the way to go. It is over 15 years since I had a car with so little automation. Something charming and fun about it, but prone to errors and mistakes.

Back