Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bluetooth and nav upgrade for RNS 510?

Birty

Birty

Vehicle
Cali now sold
Just asked the above question at vw tonbridge and came away without answers... Could I try the forum please.. My 510 does not work with the phone. I assume I need a gizmo to make it work.. Cant be difficult can it? Also vw gonna get back to me about sat nav upgrade because his systems said no! I see ebay has upgrades but really unsure if i should go down that route? Kinda thinking new head unit could be best (expensive!) route!!

Just asked the above question at vw tonbridge and came away without answers... Could I try the forum please.. My 510 does not work with the phone. I assume I need a gizmo to make it work.. Cant be difficult can it? Also vw gonna get back to me about sat nav upgrade because his systems said no! I see ebay has upgrades but really unsure if i should go down that route? Kinda thinking new head unit could be best (expensive!) route!!
V14 update map data came out last January, £99 from Dealer. V15 due soon.
If the Unit didn’t come with Bluetooth then I believe a box of some sort has to be added.

Wonder how long/often it needs an update? VW seemed to think it was over £100!! 4 times a year maybe but he is gonna check in new year...Probably just use a dash mounted unit with free updates and forget VW if his prices are correct !! Would be nice to know which bluetooth unit is required.. Kinda go around in circles trying to find that one out in the forum.:(

V14 update map data came out last January, £99 from Dealer. V15 due soon.
If the Unit didn’t come with Bluetooth then I believe a box of some sort has to be added.

Just ordered genuine V15 off ebay £25.. hoping I have done the right thing? Suppose I can sell it after once used?

Can't you update on line from the VW website https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/technology/can-i-update-satnav-myself ? Or is your Sat Nav not compatible?

I am disgusted that VW seem to only issue updates once a year. Mine is the one issued in 10/1/18 via the above website.
Not for the RNS 510.
For ALL satnavs, unless it is a Firmware/Software update then Map Data update depends totally on the company whose mapping data the unit usees, Garmin/Tomtom/Navteq etc:. These type of updates are often annually.

I have v15 and sadly it's still well out of date. Any GPS mapping is generally at least 12 months behind what is actually happening. I you want really up to date maps then I guess Google Maps, Waze or similar is the best bet. Having said that, I am pretty happy with the performance of the RNS510 overall. Like any satnav it requires a modicum of common sense to operate satisfactorily.