Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bluetooth module location...?

hewittd

hewittd

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I'm the process of trying to retrofit bluetooth (module 3C8 035 730 D) to my 2014 Beach which has a RNS510 fitted.

One question (so far...) where does the controller module go? I've read two possible place, under the glovebox and under the drivers seat.

Anyone else done this already or does some happen to know where they are fitted when coming from the factory? :)

Thanks!

David,

I think officially it goes under one of the seats, but running the wires there would be a nightmare.

I retrofitted the official BT and RNS510, and the BT module fitted nicely under the glovebox - once the glovebox is out there is loads of space, and there is a nice metal cross member to cable tie it to :)

You need to remove the glovebox anyway to route the cable for the microphone to the passenger A pillar and into the headlining.

I retrofitted mine last year under the driver’s seat which I understand to be the correct location (2013 SE), it is a bit of a drawn out process and you need to be fairly happy taking your pride and joy to pieces: once you get all the required trim off and seat out it’s not too bad to feed the wires in the channels under the carpet.

Ian

Thanks Gents! I think for the moment I'll go with the glovebox option. In general I like to do things "as if it left the factory" but running to under the driver seat really seems like too much hassle...maybe later!

I have the glovebox out and so far the install is going well :)

Thanks again.

Where are you putting your microphone?

The official location for a 2013 is to cut the headlining above the drivers head (near the sun visor), but again I wimped out and installed mine in a bit of trim near the interior lights. See this discussion: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=293&p=1511&hilit=microphone#p1511

I am normally like you - I like things "stock", but there are limits :)

T

There is also space for the BT unit to go behind the trim panel below the gear lever.
I fitted my mic in the trim to the side of the curtsey lights as teeboy suggests, works fine there.

In my 2014 LHD California Beach there is the little round mic "grill" in the headlining above the drivers seat. I haven't opened it yet to see if there's actually a mic in there already...

Is that possible, does it already have a mic fitted? I have a RNS510 with DAB+ fitted, but it came with no MFSW.

Thanks for the feedback and help!

Little update, it seems the bluetooth module does indeed go under the glovebox - and there's a mounting bracket available.

Part number : 7E2035462 for RHD and 7H0035462A for LHD

I've ordered one, lets see how it goes :)

Old thread, but can I ask a question please. Prior to fitting the Bluetooth module, did you already have the 'phone' navigation option on the dash, where you have the 'radio' 'settings' etc? Or did plugging the new bluetooth module in initiate that option too?

I fitted an RNS 510 unit with bluetooth module from a Cali into our Yeti without any prolems. Didn't need any recoding and everything worked fine so I dont see why it would be different in Cali

Back