Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bluetooth Phone Connection

D

Dotdashdot

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
This might be a stupid question but no end of googling or forum burrowing has come to my rescue... My handbook doesn’t help either. I have a 2016 (2017 model) Ocean and I can connect App-Connect but I can’t connect my phone to the Bluetooth. The camper seems to have all the necessary preparation - With the microphones and when I select phone on the speedo-screen it asks me to connect a phone. Relatedly, when I try and choose BT Audio (which is in white as in available) in the media button on the infotainment screen it says BT device not available.
Sure I’m being stupid!

thanks,

Dot

This might be a stupid question but no end of googling or forum burrowing has come to my rescue... My handbook doesn’t help either. I have a 2016 (2017 model) Ocean and I can connect App-Connect but I can’t connect my phone to the Bluetooth. The camper seems to have all the necessary preparation - With the microphones and when I select phone on the speedo-screen it asks me to connect a phone. Relatedly, when I try and choose BT Audio (which is in white as in available) in the media button on the infotainment screen it says BT device not available.
Sure I’m being stupid!

thanks,

Dot

Is your phone bluetooth set to discoverable?

App connect and bluetooth will not work together, its one or the other.

Thanks. So if I have it on app connect and it rings it can’t use the built in microphones etc? How do I connect Bluetooth instead?

yes the michropne still works, but most of the info (contacts etc) is on the centre screen rather than the mfd. yes its annoying.

Good afternoon,

I always get a wee bit confused with App Connect, We Connect and all the other apps.

I just checked the CD I got from VW after I bought the software, it says App Connect. As far as I can see I use this only to run Android Auto (I need to look into MirrorLink at some stage).

Using Android Auto I have all phone functions available, regardless what other app I run in Android Auto. Also I have information on the dashboard.

Android Auto (I assumed sitting on App Connect) only works through a USB cable. Which is fine because if I use Android Auto I use it for Google Maps. Because of this usage is longer and it suits that the phone will be charged (this setup guided us through entire Europe last year).

At the same time as Android Auto I run We Connect through Bluetooth, that works quite well.

To summarize (in the way I understand it), App Connect is the platform to run Android Auto or Apple CarPlay mirrored from a phone connected through a USB cable. This will give different options like maps, music, text, phone etc.

Bluetooth connection work also over the phone, which provides phone calls, contacts, texts and music. After the initial setup works seamless and reliable.

Happy California,
Eberhard

Thanks Eberhardt and Nick — I have tried to unplug my phone and connect via Bluetooth Instead but to no avail. Am I (not) doing something stupid?

Apologies for spelling your name wrong Eberhard.

Good evening Dotdashdot,

no problems. Eberhard is an old fashioned german name and actually can be spelled with "d" or "dt".

What phone do you have, is it an iPhone or an Andorid? How old is the phone? Are you sure that Bluetooth is switched on (the phone)?

When you pair it with the radio, will it be detected? If you go through the setup process is the phone information displayed on the top of the radio?

Is somebody else in your household that you can borrow the phone and test it?

Regards,
Eberhard

iPhone needs to be paired done through the connection settings both on phone and radio. Once set up providing you don’t plug the usb lead into the phone it will always connect BT without any other intervention, I have just tried to connect my phone to BT whilst using app connect and it won’t have it so like I said earlier it’s on or the other, I can only speak for iPhone don’t know if it works differently with android.

I suspect in here is part of a similar issue I’m having.
Perhaps somebody can provide a solution?

In short, an iPhone can’t transmit Map/Navigation voice data (Apple maps not Google) via a hard wired usb connection, only via Bluetooth.
This means you can’t charge the iPhone whilst using Navigation.

I listen to audio books so , when connected via usb the Navigation mutes the spoken word as it should but the navigation instructions can’t be heard.
All very annoying!!

I have found you need a good quality lead, I snapped mine the other week got what looked like a quality product of ebay but it just crashed when using car play, replaced this with an original lightening lead out of the house and no issues and even charges whilst using car play, no idea what apple do different with their leads had similar issues with other lightening adaptors.

I have found you need a good quality lead, I snapped mine the other week got what looked like a quality product of ebay but it just crashed when using car play, replaced this with an original lightening lead out of the house and no issues and even charges whilst using car play, no idea what apple do different with their leads had similar issues with other lightening adaptors.
I gather there is a computer chip in their leads. Some after market leads have it.

I suspect in here is part of a similar issue I’m having.
Perhaps somebody can provide a solution?

In short, an iPhone can’t transmit Map/Navigation voice data (Apple maps not Google) via a hard wired usb connection, only via Bluetooth.
This means you can’t charge the iPhone whilst using Navigation.

I listen to audio books so , when connected via usb the Navigation mutes the spoken word as it should but the navigation instructions can’t be heard.
All very annoying!!
An iphone should be able to do all that (nav, phone, music etc) via a USB connection and it will charge at the same time. I never use the bluetooth as doesn't add anything.

An iphone should be able to do all that (nav, phone, music etc) via a USB connection and it will charge at the same time. I never use the bluetooth as doesn't add anything.
Indeed it should but there is something somewhere that stops the navigation voice prompts being transmitted via usb.

Volume hasnt been turned down has it, I have found you can alter the volume of media and nav Independently using the main volume control, might not be correct but appears to work for me.

Indeed it should but there is something somewhere that stops the navigation voice prompts being transmitted via usb.
It is volume control related. Go for a little journey with your nav set up. When the system is saying a turn instruction, turn up the volume control (on your stereo, not your phone). This should sort it out.

For info, the same goes for the radio volume reducing when you select reverse. If you find it goes too low for your liking, turn it up whilst in reverse and it will remember the setting.

Relatedly, when I try and choose BT Audio (which is in white as in available) in the media button on the infotainment screen it says BT device not available.

Right, just been out to my van, disconnected my phone completed (by telling phone and Cali to forget the device connection) and retried to connect. I can see what you mean, it’s not intuitive and something of a pain!!

You might have a slightly different stereo unit in your vehicle, but in mine I did the following:

Switched the ignition on
Pressed the ‘Menu’ button (bottom right button on my system)
Selected ‘Media’ option on screen, swiped left on touchscreen to see it
Selected ‘Source’
Selected ‘BT Audio’
Got the iPhone ready by going to the BlueTooth’ settings screen
Selected ’Add new device’ on the VW
The iphone did find the VW, but...
The VW did not find the iPhone....I got an error on the stereo saying ‘BT device not available’

I then switched the ignition off, then immediately back on again (did not take keys out of ignition)
Both stereo and phone immediately found each other and I could pair them!!

Don’t ask me why this works, but it did for me. It makes no sense, but resolved the issue.

(NOTE: When I say ignition on, I mean just turn the key enough for all the electrics to start up, I didn’t actually start the engine)

Hope the above resolves it for you....

This commmunity really is amazing!!

unfortunately, I am still a bit stuck!

a key step seems to have been to remove the iPhone cable as well as the iPhone. But I still am at the following impasse. Following the incredibly kind and detailed instructions of Moaksey I get to the bit whereI should choose BT Audio but nothing happens when I do.

The VW doesn’t appear on my iPhone (iPhone X, recent software updates).
Any further tips would be gratefully appreciated.

cheers,
Dot

536EA46A-CCAE-4B1E-9C05-66D1C657D06A.jpeg

FA1DC3EF-503A-4542-A426-85F054E8C45C.jpeg

I can't quite see in the photo above, but you you have a settings button in the bottom right hand corner? If you do, there is an option in there as well, which includes 'find new devices' (or some similar wording).

If it isn't obvious, I'll go later and take a photo. Just cooking at the mo... :)

Thanks for all the help. I have spent some time trying this - but fundamentally I seem to have the problem that when I press the Bt Audio button it stays on Aux. And, no where in any menu can I find the add new devices. Is there something wrong with my BT?

Back