Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bodyshop lower half two tone resprays

Blue Yonder

Blue Yonder

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Has anyone had a lower half two tone re-spray done by a bodyshop where the doors were left on the vehicle ?

If so I would appreciate a photo of the door edge looking at it from the reverse side, door open.

The reason I ask is I'm thinking of having a lower half two tone respray. Van currently wrapped lower half. Now spraying with the doors on the vehicle is the less expensive than doing with them off. Down side as I understand is the paint will not wrap around the door edge as well as doing with them off. I would like to see how the edges look when painted with doors on.

Thanks

No - but. Last year we were on a camp site where someone had the same colour van as ours - a 2 tone bay leaf green and candy white, from the factory. Except, on ours the insides of the doors is green, and on the other van, the insides of the insides were white. So our base van was green, and theirs was green. We both didn’t know that was a thing, and we also didn’t think our van looked wrong. The edges on the white van were painted green to the fold, but not beyond.

So, I don’t think it matters too much. From the outside ours vans were identical. And inside, it was okay. Just different.

No - but. Last year we were on a camp site where someone had the same colour van as ours - a 2 tone bay leaf green and candy white, from the factory. Except, on ours the insides of the doors is green, and on the other van, the insides of the insides were white. So our base van was green, and theirs was green. We both didn’t know that was a thing, and we also didn’t think our van looked wrong. The edges on the white van were painted green to the fold, but not beyond.

So, I don’t think it matters too much. From the outside ours vans were identical. And inside, it was okay. Just different.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I understand Candy White two tones are sprayed white all over by VW on the production line. THen they are taken off the production line and before the doors are fitted they are masked off upto the first inner rubber seal. A wrapped lower two tone the door is left on the vehicle and the wrap extends to the inside of the door by about 5mm up to the first line on mastic. Both look good when the door is opened although slightly different.
A body shop lower half two tone re spray can also be done without taking the doors off. However the paint will not extend beyond the edge of the door. It will look fine door closed just curious to see what it would look like door open so you can see the transition from colour to white.

I understand Candy White two tones are sprayed white all over by VW on the production line. THen they are taken off the production line and before the doors are fitted they are masked off upto the first inner rubber seal.
Not that in anyway it answers your question, but for others who might have an interest, our van started life as a bay leaf green panel van, and the top was over sprayed candy white.

What I would add is that if you finally decide on a wrap, to be aware that some insurance companies have a big issue with this, to the point of refusing to cover wrapped vans. For us, when getting quotes a number of insurers wanted to know if the 2-tone was painted or wrapped, saying they couldn’t cover a wrap. Other forum members have had wraps, and got them insured, but it might cut down your insurance options.

Last edited:
@Hawthorn37 was your van done like that from factory?

My understanding was the same as @Blue Yonder has said, so your post is interesting
Yes - it’s very obvious when you see the body shell around the doors, it’s all green. As mentioned above, we compared to another 2-tone van at Castleton CAMC site last year - the internals were white, and delivered 6 months before ours. I guess the Cali factory decides based on availability of the base panel vans?? If I had a choice in the matter, I’d like the coloured base van with the top painted white.

It would be interesting to hear from other 2 tone van owners I guess.

I thought they were always bottom half sprayed over a white or silver van.
I wonder in your case whether it was done to use up a stock of green vans as green is no longer a colour option & no-one would be ordering that colour.

I thought they were always bottom half sprayed over a white or silver van.
I wonder in your case whether it was done to use up a stock of green vans as green is no longer a colour option & no-one would be ordering that colour.
Could be. At least the bonnet has a good paint thickness :thumb

Just thought I’d post a few pics to demonstrate the cover paint. Then I’ll shut up and this diversion off topic for the OP must be annoying!
:Iamsorry

The only ‘paint edge’ is on the top of the C Pillar. Here you can see / feel the white 6CC7A935-EEC9-4B2C-9C42-FC1601DF2B19.jpegover-spray. In the engine bay, it has been fairly roughly painted with a white base coat (not gloss) and in one area you can see the green showing through.

EB560924-6567-4041-952C-FEA4B47858DD.jpeg

5C96E171-0F3C-484F-B5EA-E30ADF9E12BC.jpeg

70E4FACF-BB12-4609-A639-2B95B2D3C754.jpeg

3C73B71E-2EB4-482B-93C0-F9777DBE5F76.jpeg

Thanks for the photos.

Interesting as Andyinluton has pointed out this is not the typical way VW paint a Two Tone California

Still hoping someone on this forum is able to post photos of a door edge showing the paint transition from colour to white of a two tone done by a bodyshop with doors sprayed on the the vehicle.

My van is away on holiday (without me :().
I can post some photos if you can wait a week.

Is it really worth the extra cost to get the closed portion of the inside of the door painted? Who cares? (Maybe just VW for the extra revenue?)

The question you pose is the one I'm trying to answer. Re-sraying over what is otherwise pristine factory paint is a big step and unlike wrapping irreversible. So just applying due diligence before making a decision.

Your opinion is appreciated and noted.

The question you pose is the one I'm trying to answer. Re-sraying over what is otherwise pristine factory paint is a big step and unlike wrapping irreversible. So just applying due diligence before making a decision.

Your opinion is appreciated and noted.
It will probably negate any body panel and paint warranty VW offer. Not sure why anyone would go the paint route over a wrap, unless there was a preexisting situation like accident damage that would require paintwork.

I appreciate it doesn't help the OP, but just fyi, our 1yr old factory 2-tone is a green van over-painted white. I thought it was odd as I'd assumed that the white paint would be more common and cheaper, therefore assumed it would be a white base colour.

Van is home :),not washed yet so please don't judge.
I hope these photos help.
Occasionally you notice the white in the door shuts if the sun hits the van at certain angles, but I don't find this an issue.
Hope this helps.

C Pillar.JPG

Drivers Door.JPG

NS B Pillar.JPG

Passenger Door Hinge.JPG

Passenger Door.JPG

I appreciate it doesn't help the OP, but just fyi, our 1yr old factory 2-tone is a green van over-painted white. I thought it was odd as I'd assumed that the white paint would be more common and cheaper, therefore assumed it would be a white base colour.
Ours is the same!

Just thought I’d post a few pics to demonstrate the cover paint. Then I’ll shut up and this diversion off topic for the OP must be annoying!
:Iamsorry

The only ‘paint edge’ is on the top of the C Pillar. Here you can see / feel the white View attachment 104995over-spray. In the engine bay, it has been fairly roughly painted with a white base coat (not gloss) and in one area you can see the green showing
Ours is the same!
Van is home :),not washed yet so please don't judge.
I hope these photos help.
Occasionally you notice the white in the door shuts if the sun hits the van at certain angles, but I don't find this an issue.
Hope this helps.

View attachment 105040

View attachment 105041

View attachment 105042

View attachment 105043

View attachment 105044

View attachment 104997

View attachment 104998

View attachment 104999
Thank you for posting photos. The area the paint extends on the sills and front door edges look very similar to that achieved by my current wrap. So no issues spraying with doors on the vehicle.

Thank you for posting photos. The area the paint extends on the sills and front door edges look very similar to that achieved by my current wrap. So no issues spraying with doors on the vehicle.
I am not a big fan of wraps for durability reasons but I wondered why you have decided to change from a wrap to paint is that for durability?

Had my lower van wrapped from new. Not for cost saving reasons, it was because I was not keen on any of the VW two tone colours on offer at the time.

My now van needs rewrapping on one side after someone reversed into me. The van's wrap otherwise is as good as the day it was installed. Just need to avoid jet washing the van.

My, 'First World' problem is that the existing wrap colour is no longer available so I would have to rewrap the whole lower half in available wrap colour I like.... or have it painted to a similar colour to the wrap on the van. Of course this lower half painting needs to done all round too.

My preference is to paint because I cant find a wrap that I like as much as the one on now. If there was one I would happily just have the damaged side rewrapped to match the rest of van.

I have had no issues with wrap durability, quite the reverse. I have wrap protection film on the front bumper and side skirts (below the chrome side mouldings) This film, and to a slightly lesser extent wrap film, self heals if abraded e.g. by brushing against hedgerows in tight Devon country lanes! I would not hesitate to get a Cali lower half wrapped. For me it's all about finding a colour I like and one that will standout from the crowd.

Last edited:
Had my lower van wrapped from new. Not for cost saving reasons, it was because I was not keen on any of the VW two tone colours on offer at the time.

My now van needs rewrapping on one side after someone reversed into me. The van's wrap otherwise is as good as the day it was installed. Just need to avoid jet washing the van.

My, 'First World' problem is that the existing wrap colour is no longer available so I would have to rewrap the whole lower half in available wrap colour I like.... or have it painted to a similar colour to the wrap on the van. Of course this lower half painting needs to done all round too.

My preference is to paint because I cant find a wrap that I like as much as the one on now. If there was one I would happily just have the damaged side rewrapped to match the rest of van.

I have had no issues with wrap durability, quite the reverse. I have wrap protection film on the front bumper and side skirts (below the chrome side mouldings) This film, and to a slightly lesser extent wrap film, self heals if abraded e.g. by brushing against hedgerows in tight Devon country lanes! I would not hesitate to get a Cali lower half wrapped. For me it's all about finding a colour I like and one that will standout from the crowd.
Hi - who do you use to do your wrap?

I have seen recommendations for MonsterWrap previously

Back