Bonfire night and dogs (pets)

AlisonF

AlisonF

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Here’s to hoping that there won’t be too many fireworks tonight. I have done two good walks, have extra Kongs stuffed with food in the freezer for my guys and my Sonos will be playing loud music all over the house.
Sadly, as I am due to have new shutters fitted I cannot block out all the windows.
Fingers crossed for a quiet and stress free night for our four legged friends.

Max was going through hell last night. It was like the opening Salvo on D-day. I expect tonight to be even worse.

Max was going through hell last night. It was like the opening Salvo on D-day. I expect tonight to be even worse.
Sorry to hear that. I wish the UK would do as other countries and restrict them to certain nights of the year. Then it’s easier for owners to plan what to and medicate if necessary.
Sending hugs to Max and hoping for a quiet night for you all.

Nell is a different dog with fireworks, timid, frozen, heart racing.
Apparently classic FM are doing special session 7pm for calming music but round here they are mostly done by then, so at least I know its mostly for the kids

The Estate I live on is fringed by large beach houses that are rented out. Most times the people renting are no problem but with big patio's facing the beach it is easy to see why the attraction of sending explosive missiles into the air is not counterbalanced with an appreciation that there are others not necessarily enjoying the flash and bangs.

We’ve just realised this year, at 12, that Barney’s going a bit deaf. All the softer bangs that last year made him jump out of his skin, as always, aren’t bothering him at all. Bless ’im.

We’ve just realised this year, at 12, that Barney’s going a bit deaf. All the softer bangs that last year made him jump out of his skin, as always, aren’t bothering him at all. Bless ’im.
I used my eldest (going slightly deaf, but could still hear a crisp packet being opened ;) )to train my now eldest... and then keep them in the room with me. Loud tv. Young ones hear something and start to react, look at the elder ones (who are snoozing) and think oh ok, I can also chill... once they’re all chilled I start to tell them how good they all are... and repeat all night... And occasionally I have nipped out to a neighbour who hadn’t warned us of fireworks and told them what I think (i.e. if I need sedatives next time, they will get the bill). Not had to that yet, thankfully, as there are enough of us locally with dogs.

Awww I feel really sorry for all the pets who don’t like bonfire night.
We have a very Barky spaniel tonight, she’d have made a terrible gun dog. Fortunately our border terrier doesn’t seem to bother. We are playing games to try distract them and keep them occupied. ‘find the treats’ is their favourite, we are already dangerously close to running out of mini-markies.

My terriers never worried about bangs, neither our Weimeraner, but Max is half collie and has that Collie reaction.

Just two minutes ago he dashed out of the door to go and sit on his favourite bit of lawn but then came dashing back in as the first salvo of the night crashed into the sky.

Our westie used to go mad at the sound of fireworks. A midweek nov5th is usually a nightmare with fireworks starting a weekend before and lasting till the next weekend, add on Dawali, weddings etc and round here there are fireworks most weekends from now till new year!

Our latest family member, a very laid back cockapoo fortunately doesn’t bat an eyelid.

Outside and Meg’s fine with fireworks. Inside and she is a trembling wreck, hiding herself in the most obscure of places.

She also hates balloons and crisp packets because the boys make them go bang.

Tilly dog doesn’t like fireworks, so we are spending the evening out in the countryside, in the van.

Parked up on top of a big hill, with a fabulous view, looking down on all the fireworks from a distance, a long distance

Tilly dog is happy, as are we.

Tilly dog doesn’t like fireworks, so we are spending the evening out in the countryside, in the van.

Parked up on top of a big hill, with a fabulous view, looking down on all the fireworks from a distance, a long distance

Tilly dog is happy, as are we.
I hope it was a nice quiet night for Tilly?
Zeb is the same too, we parked in a very quiet spot in the Welsh valleys fri/sat.

I hope it was a nice quiet night for Tilly?
Zeb is the same too, we parked in a very quiet spot in the Welsh valleys fri/sat.
Nice and quiet. Tilly was happy, she loves it in the van.
Hope you and Zeb had a good one.

Does anyone have any experience with a white noise machine for these occasions?

Back