Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bonnet Bra

Pleeeeeease don't,

Scuffs paint, attracts mould, etc. Leave them to the Barry boys in mk4 Golfs.

They seem to cover all bonnet types these days ...from the full VAG crew to all corners of the German makers to across the pond for the petrol heads around to the jap boys .... I think they serve a purpose like most mod's do .. :)

KernowLad said:
Pleeeeeease don't,

Scuffs paint, attracts mould, etc. Leave them to the Barry boys in mk4 Golfs.

So you don't think I should get one.

i was thinking of having a yellow one specially made. i thought it would be a little different.

I've been umming and ahhhing about. Would be good to protect the bonnet.

James

choplee said:
They seem to cover all bonnet types these days ...from the full VAG crew to all corners of the German makers to across the pond for the petrol heads in the states around to the jap boys .... I think they serve a purpose like most mod's do .. :)

Bra-less seems to be the vogue this year, if you believe the Daily Mail. Plenty of celeb pictures to support the claim

I think your hard core car detailer sees bonnet chips as inevitable, and that you periodically repair them and avoid covering the paint with bras and films. I have not tried, but have wondered about the paint film products as a pragmatic move.

With modern cars like the Cali, the water based paint chips alarmingly easily.

Wrap the bonnet all bar an offset stripe down one side in black vinyl . Carbon fibre effect would look good. Nice thing is when your bored peel it off and do something else. :D

gatvol said:
Bra-less seems to be the vogue this year, if you believe the Daily Mail. Plenty of celeb pictures to support the claim

I think your hard core car detailer sees bonnet chips as inevitable, and that you periodically repair them and avoid covering the paint with bras and films. I have not tried, but have wondered about the paint film products as a pragmatic move.

I'd rather set fire to myself than read/see the Daily 'Fail' lol

gatvol said:

i've seen loads of higher end cars & show cars this year with bonnet bra's and bonnet deflecta's .....
maybe they just don't want to respray their pride n joy every few years and to be honest they don't look that bad if the cars right the bra fits ... :lol: ;)

Wraps can damage the paint as well when removed. So be very careful what you fit and use.

Cheers

we used to have one for the Split which was great as no hours washing dead splatted flies off!
but never left it on...causes paint probs especially if damp trapped....
however it does seem to be a must have thing for T4 buses and they leave them on all the time...
PS I prefer to call them bonnet bibs cos they protect not uplift :lol: also stops buses worrying about being called cross dressers if they are male.... ;)

I've used a bra / bib on my California from new (2008) with none of the aforementioned problems.

I have a good quality felt backed one and only tend to use it on longer runs, especially motorway jaunts and trips to Europe when the stone chip factor is perhaps a little higher.

My advice would be get one, but don't leave it on for prolonged periods of time.

Andy

From your profile picture it looks like you've already got a yellow one..... ?

shambly said:
From your profile picture it looks like you've already got a yellow one..... ?

I do :). My initial post was really just to get a bit of debate going. I like mine a lot more than i expected - also with wraps and the such like becoming more popular was interesting to hear about those.

I didn't know one member felt so strongly about them lol.

But yes, I have a yellow one on at the moment :).

James

I have used one on my Cali. since 2008, travel around europe a lot and it has saved the paint work, now coming unto 100,000 miles. I agree with vwanorak, mine is one from van-x.

Vinyl is an excellent alternative with no risk of damage to paintwork although maybe not complete protection against a larger stone. You can do your own design or match the car colour and no-one will know - used on boats all the time.

I've never liked them and don't see the point. What about the chips you get on the radiator grille and front bumper?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

This thread needs pictures.......

I've got a massive stone chip (read dent) right in the middle of the bonnet after an 80 mph collision with a piece of stone on the a30. I cant help feeling a bra would have saved that one.

I'm interested, who's got pics with their van sporting a bra and what brand is it/ what are the pros/ cons?

Here is mine from vanx. I have had it over a year now and remove it once every couple of months to clean the bonnet no problems to date :thumb

image.jpg image.jpg

The bonnets do chip way to easy and I've had more reports on the bra's working well than not on t5's :)