Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bonnet protector for T5

James Parkin

James Parkin

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all

Can someone recommend a bonnet protector for the T5. Going to be doing a lot of driving over the next 4-months & want to avert further stone chips.
I've seen some of those Berghaus edition ones which look pretty decent.
Anyone with first hand experience who can point me in the right direction?

Cheers.
James

If I was you I would give the bra type a miss as the can/do chaff or scratch your bonnet over time. In the past I have used 3m polycarbonate sheets, if stuck on well you can’t really see it and at the end of your travels you can just peel it off

Hi all

Can someone recommend a bonnet protector for the T5. Going to be doing a lot of driving over the next 4-months & want to avert further stone chips.
I've seen some of those Berghaus edition ones which look pretty decent.
Anyone with first hand experience who can point me in the right direction?

Cheers.
James
Been there, did that and it took ages to get the paintwork back to as it should be.
They trap dirt/water and make a good abrasive.

Either accept the risk - after 65,000 miles I have 3 minor chips touched up. I know where they are.

Or have the Bonnet clear wrapped or similar.

Did my chips yesterday and only 24,000miles. Including a tiny "one" by the rear number plate.

Two things came to mind. The paint is not very resistant, and the primer underneath the paint is even worse. Maybe its a Candy white thing.

Been there, did that and it took ages to get the paintwork back to as it should be.
They trap dirt/water and make a good abrasive.

Either accept the risk - after 65,000 miles I have 3 minor chips touched up. I know where they are.

Or have the Bonnet clear wrapped or similar.

OK, message received - abort. I guess I'll have to accept that stone chips are part and parcel and buff them out when I get back, many thanks for the replies!

Paint protection film (PPF) is an option. I've seen it applied very effectively to a number of cars. I was quoted £150 for my T6 bonnet.

Paint protection film (PPF) is an option. I've seen it applied very effectively to a number of cars. I was quoted £150 for my T6 bonnet.
Not bad considering my T5 bonnet respray was £500 a few years back! A god option I think.

50 quid for my bonnet bra at the Van/Busfest 6yrs ago.
I like it, it makes my van a bit different to the others, especially in
germany because they are not very common. I have taken it off a few
times and re-polished the bonnet and everything is mint.

I've never actually 'got' that whole bonnet-bra thing. Why would you strap something completely disfiguring, or at least pretty daft looking, on the front of your car or van, just to avoid the possibility of a few superficial chips that probably no-one is going to notice?

What is that all about, really? Would you go around wearing a pair of boxing gloves, just to stop your nail varnish getting chipped??

:headbang ;) :D :Iamsorry