Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bonnet Release - Lubricate Yours

G

gatvol

My 61 plate has spent the vast majority of its life in a dry garage.

The bonnet refused to open this weekend, which was rather disconcerting. In decades of driving cars, including classics, this has never happened to me before.

It transpired that the metal used is low grade stuff that had corroded. As VW installed a flimsy plastic lever on the underside of the bonnet to actuate this [corroded] mechanism, this just flexed impotently. I got in, no harm done, but had to employ rather more force than I wanted to.

It is worth a spot of lubrication to reduce the chance of this happening to yours ….

vw 20190325_095000.jpg

My 61 plate has spent the vast majority of its life in a dry garage.

The bonnet refused to open this weekend, which was rather disconcerting. In decades of driving cars, including classics, this has never happened to me before.

It transpired that the metal used is low grade stuff that had corroded. As VW installed a flimsy plastic lever on the underside of the bonnet to actuate this [corroded] mechanism, this just flexed impotently. I got in, no harm done, but had to employ rather more force than I wanted to.

It is worth a spot of lubrication to reduce the chance of this happening to yours ….

View attachment 42681
Already done, but I use Lithium spray grease, and mine is still pristine.

Pretty common, my Golf also suffers.
My nephews Polo was a nightmare we had 3 good mechanics and an AA friend of mine (not the alcoholic type) try release his bonnet !
Got it off eventually but nearly got the angle grinder out !

Lithium spray grease.

Back