Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Boot protection from dogs - T6 Ocean

gt_63

gt_63

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We are looking for a good solution to protect the rear of our Cali O from the pesky dogs we have - 2 wet, muddy and fidgety Cocker Spaniels.
Currently the boot of my Honda CRV gets wet, slobbered, pawed and muddy following daily walks
Some solutions do not protect up the sides of vehicle boots and we’re concerned the dogs will ruin the back of the seats and the inside plastic facias. We’ll just have to accept the dry dust they bring in!
Hoping someone has a tried and tested solution - photos would be appreciated. (Not necessarily of the dogs!)
G&J and B&P

I've built a cage for the boot clamped into the rails. Our muddy mutts travel in there.
The cage means no lower bed though, but it comes out quite easily if needed.

I too, am in this predicament. Following with interest.

I don’t want to use the boot as prefer to leave our stuff set up ready to go at a moments notice, so the dogs are travelling in the living space. I am constantly covering the floor with towels, old duvet covers on the seats etc.

I’m toying with getting a canvas cage that they both fit into, and we can fold up easily when camping.

One brilliant thing I do have for my Labrador though, is a double towelled robe for her. It wasn’t cheap but it goes over the head, wraps around her middle and Velcro’s keep it tight to the body. The only exposed bits are the face and her paws which I dry before I let her in. Even when she shakes, nothing escapes - it really is brilliant!

Thanks Stoney....
A decent idea - is this a man made crate or adapted ? And how did you secure it to the rails?
We’d remove if when on travels as only need it for the daily walks when at home

and thanks for your idea too Wobblys mum
Have seen these and they seem a great idea - will go a googling
We bought a couple of Equafleece onezees https://www.equafleece.co.uk/home keeps most of the dog dry and warm. Doesn’t stop the snow sticking to lower legs though!
I do recommend themF10EDCE8-8962-4F40-BB09-3D37C0A644B0.jpeg209D0C5E-825F-42E7-80E3-09B0450B98F0.jpeg

and thanks for your idea too Wobblys mum
Have seen these and they seem a great idea - will go a googling
We bought a couple of Equafleece onezees https://www.equafleece.co.uk/home keeps most of the dog dry and warm. Doesn’t stop the snow sticking to lower legs though!
I do recommend themView attachment 41136View attachment 41137

Good God our cocker just saw those pics and I've just had to promise her I'll never humiliate her like that. She says even spaniels have dignity you know... :( :D

Thanks Stoney....
A decent idea - is this a man made crate or adapted ? And how did you secure it to the rails?
We’d remove if when on travels as only need it for the daily walks when at home
Home made from scratch. Ply sides, half-height back and floor, eBay mesh. Edges made safe with car door trim extrusion and shuts with flush handle. Lined with vinyl. Attached to runners (probably excessive in hindsight) with a thumbscrew on a bolt with a cross piece similar to the middle of these three...
IMG_20190204_102805649.jpg IMG_20190204_102926877.jpg IMG_20190204_102834298.jpg

We gave up trying within half an hour of Cali ownership. Cherish living with a Cali dog and take pleasure from the chewed handbrake lever, hair and slobber on the floor and mud and grime all over the seat covers.

We gave up trying within half an hour of Cali ownership. Cherish living with a Cali dog and take pleasure from the chewed handbrake lever, hair and slobber on the floor and mud and grime all over the seat covers.
They do get a bit more freedom at times so we have that too!

Thanks for the cutting comments Velma’s Dad - the fleeces are very practical and never heard the dogs complain (yet) Each to their own as they say

I see your point Amarillo - it didn’t take long for the Honda to take in the true traits of dog ownership - nose art on windows, dribble down the leather seats and smelly tennis balls . Life wouldn’t be the same!

Thanks for the cutting comments Velma’s Dad - the fleeces are very practical and never heard the dogs complain (yet) Each to their own as they say

:Iamsorry
Betty says I have no fashion sense. :sorry

We have a large rubber (couple or so mm thick) in the back with sufficient "extra" length so that with the door open it can be pulled down over the bumper. Works well with our muddy Labrador and does not cost much.

BTW my post should read "large rubber SHEET". My previous text may have baffled any American readers.

Thanks everyone for your interest and input
Has anyone come across rubber mats or something with slightly rolled up sides that made to measure the boot space? At least we can protect the floor with something cleanable
GT

We have a large rubber (couple or so mm thick) in the back with sufficient "extra" length so that with the door open it can be pulled down over the bumper. Works well with our muddy Labrador and does not cost much.

BTW my post should read "large rubber SHEET". My previous text may have baffled any American readers.
Ah ...... with you now!
Kris is that of your own design or ready made for a Cali Ocean? And where can I look for this kind of thing

Suggest you buy a large rubber sheet and cut it to the desired shape. Alternatively again rubber sheets, smaller, but use some of the tape a glue solutions that surfers use on their wetsuits.

Ah ...... with you now!
Kris is that of your own design or ready made for a Cali Ocean? And where can I look for this kind of thing
Rubber sheet and scissors - better with shears !

Thanks everyone for your interest and input
Has anyone come across rubber mats or something with slightly rolled up sides that made to measure the boot space? At least we can protect the floor with something cleanable
GT
They do them for estate cars so if you find one a similar size it should work

Back