Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Boris’ fuddled NHS graph

Ting Tong

Ting Tong

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
...was an interesting creation. The X and Y axis weren’t labelled and is the X axis logarithmic or perhaps each section is years? Surely the peak of the graph isn’t R=1..it’s where R starts to decrease from Rmax?

...and what’s to the right?

...and the cyclist isn’t wearing a helmet going downhill either!
E64ECC6D-3E37-4EEF-96B3-9D170F909E69.jpeg

I think it is a pictorial way to describe what he tried to articulate in words. I think it is easy to understand for children and people of any educational standard. As with all pictures, there is a lack of information when compared to a long written statement. I’d say it’s a good effort.

...was an interesting creation. The X and Y axis weren’t labelled and is the X axis logarithmic or perhaps each section is years? Surely the peak of the graph isn’t R=1..it’s where R starts to decrease from Rmax?

...and the cyclist isn’t wearing a helmet going downhill either!
View attachment 59108
Assuming x = time and y = infections, R = 1 is in the right place, before that R > 1, after R < 1. R will be at its maximum at the start of the of the outbreak, when the maximum number of people are susceptible to infection, often, perhaps confusingly, referred to as R(0) which is not the same as R = 0, that will be after the virus has gone away.

The cyclist isn't wearing a helmet because it is safest for cyclists not to wear helmets. Counties with the lowest rates of cycling fatalities tend to have the lowest rates of helmet use.

I'm more concerned that the straw is single use.

Assuming x = time and y = infections, R = 1 is in the right place, before that R > 1, after R < 1. R will be at its maximum at the start of the of the outbreak, when the maximum number of people are susceptible to infection, often, perhaps confusingly, referred to as R(0).

The cyclist isn't wearing a helmet because it is safest for cyclists not to wear helmets. Counties with the lowest rates of cycling fatalities tend to have the lowest rates of helmet use.

And not a chicken in sight!

..... that construction worker doesn’t look gender neutral :eek:

Although he does have his hands in his pockets, so an accurate representation in that regard

And the road sign symbol used for opening of schools (red circle) implies that children are not permitted. How will they get in then?

Anyway here's a much better infographic:

1589182886798.png

You beat me to it...

You'll need to get up earlier if you're going to beat me to an infographic. I just love 'em.

(And Wiggly Woo, an infographic is a common device in the visual display of information. It typically combines one or more display methods including graphs and charts to make it easy to assimilate complex information. Except that sometimes it doesn't).

wtf is an infographic....it’s a graph!

Yes I get that @Amarillo but then why is the graph (or infographic) sloping upwards to 1 from >1?
The graph slopes upwards while the reproduction rate (R) is greater than 1, and downwards while the reproduction rate is less than 1, it is flat at a point when R = 1. The graph is not showing the number of people infected, but a the number of new infections per unit of time.

The graph slopes upwards while the reproduction rate (R) is greater than 1, and downwards while the reproduction rate is less than 1, it is flat at a point when R = 1. The graph is not showing the number of people infected, but a the number of new infections per unit of time.

Sloppy assumption. We don't know what the y axis is. It could be new infections, or ICU cases, or deaths.

Do buck up.

I understand the ski slope one quite clearly. The top left one I don't understand and whilst both are visual, that one does require some explanation. Maybe it just a little small to disseminate.

If you really want a task then review BS 9999, BS 5588 (all parts), Approved Document Part B and then the Crown Fire Standards. Then throw in Statutory undertakers and tell me what your advice will be. Thankfully due to Repeal of Provisions of Local Acts we no longer have these to throw into the wash.

Totally irrelevant as the Government's R value is a gestimate, without proper testing it's just more government nonsense.
Looking at the great British publics common sense on public transport yesterday whatever the R rate is its sure to climb over the next 3/4wks.
The medical community fear and await the second wave during the winter period.

Isn't it just a speed bump warning sign that been overdone a bit?

Wait for the graphs showing the transition from first to second waves - we’ll get the inflection points then.
An inflection point would also be on the graph of the total deaths.

_112241531_optimised-uk_mortality_v_average_cumulative12may-nc.png

On this graph it will be the point on the red line where the gradient stops getting steeper. It is hard to pinpoint

Assuming x = time and y = infections, R = 1 is in the right place, before that R > 1, after R < 1. R will be at its maximum at the start of the of the outbreak, when the maximum number of people are susceptible to infection, often, perhaps confusingly, referred to as R(0) which is not the same as R = 0, that will be after the virus has gone away.

I'm sure that my friend who came off his mountain bike coming downhill and went headfirst into a rock doesn't agree with you there but hey!

Back