Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Boxdrive water pump issues - fuse location?

K

knwldgeseker

VIP Member
Vehicle
Motorhome
Hi all,

I know there are a few Knaus Boxdrive owners and former owners on here and as an increasingly desperate longshot I thought I’d ask: does anyone know the location of the water pump fuse on the Knaus Boxdrive (2019) - and/or what else is on the same circuit?

Our water pump has stopped working, I think it’s seized (long layup) and no amount of hammering will get it going but I want to eliminate the fuse first. The manual is so basic it’s useless, no diagrams or circuits etc and we are hundreds of kilometres from any Knaus dealer.

Here’s hoping….

Very long shot … on a Grand Cali there is a fuse array in the utility cupboard, it looks like the pic attached. Fuse for the water pump is SJ11, second from left. Hope this helps.

IMG_0520.png

Very long shot … on a Grand Cali there is a fuse array in the utility cupboard, it looks like the pic attached. Fuse for the water pump is SJ11, second from left. Hope this helps.

View attachment 127076
I appreciate your reply @GordonH but the boxdrive fuses are under the bed in one of the side compartments. Apart from the step and the fridge there is no way of knowing what circuit controls what function - but as everything else is working unless there are fuses located elsewhere then i think I am safe in assuming it's the pump.
Thanks for taking the time to reply though

I appreciate your reply @GordonH but the boxdrive fuses are under the bed in one of the side compartments. Apart from the step and the fridge there is no way of knowing what circuit controls what function - but as everything else is working unless there are fuses located elsewhere then i think I am safe in assuming it's the pump.
Thanks for taking the time to reply though
I would be very surprised if the pump has seized that a fuse wouldn't have blown.
A multimeter would check-
A. That all the fuses are actually OK. Normally 5 amp for water pumps, rarely higher.
B. You actually have power to the pump. Check at the pump plug/socket.

Hi @WelshGas thanks for replying, yes, that makes sense of course. Thing is there is nowhere that I can see/access to be able to probe with a multimeter - being a submersible pump it's a sealed cable all the way up and out and off into the depths of the wiring loom. I can't get a wiring diagram to track it and the only fuses mentioned in the 'manual' and that I can find (see image) are 15amps up and they're ok (all circuits working). The pump is cheap enough to do the typical repair shop trick of swopping it out to check but for whatever reason there are none in stock that I can find anywhere - including Europe. (some in Germany but they won't deliver outside of the country) I've tried dealers and pump suppliers everywhere and nobody knows when they will have stock again. Knaus still haven't replied to my emails. It's also a pretty unique pump spec, 22l/m at 1.4 bar, other manufacturers don't have them. It's not the most serious of problems and things could be a lot worse it's just irritating that such an apparently simple thing is proving so difficult to resolve.

20240711_113627 (1).jpg

Hi @WelshGas thanks for replying, yes, that makes sense of course. Thing is there is nowhere that I can see/access to be able to probe with a multimeter - being a submersible pump it's a sealed cable all the way up and out and off into the depths of the wiring loom. I can't get a wiring diagram to track it and the only fuses mentioned in the 'manual' and that I can find (see image) are 15amps up and they're ok (all circuits working). The pump is cheap enough to do the typical repair shop trick of swopping it out to check but for whatever reason there are none in stock that I can find anywhere - including Europe. (some in Germany but they won't deliver outside of the country) I've tried dealers and pump suppliers everywhere and nobody knows when they will have stock again. Knaus still haven't replied to my emails. It's also a pretty unique pump spec, 22l/m at 1.4 bar, other manufacturers don't have them. It's not the most serious of problems and things could be a lot worse it's just irritating that such an apparently simple thing is proving so difficult to resolve.

View attachment 127187
Can you get to the underside of the tap? There must be a connector there and if you use a multimeter there to check for power to the tap. No power then there must be a fuse blown. If there is power then bridge connector - if pump starts then tap is faulty - if pump doesn’t start then pump faulty..

View attachment 127187
Don’t be hung up about getting the exact pump. Other makes will do as long as they have those minimum specifications. Eg;

IMG_2346.jpeg

Can you get to the underside of the tap? There must be a connector there and if you use a multimeter there to check for power to the tap. No power then there must be a fuse blown. If there is power then bridge connector - if pump starts then tap is faulty - if pump doesn’t start then pump faulty..
That was a good idea, I went over today to look at it again but I'm fairly sure it's the pump now - I can hear the micro switches triggering on the taps but more importantly when the tap is open and so the circuit is made the pump slowly starts to get hot............. Which to my mind makes sense if it is indeed seized - and wired into a common circuit 'protected' by one of those 15 amp fuses?

I'd spotted those Reich pumps but wondered about the effect of an extra 0.4 bar of pressure on the plumbing system.

That was a good idea, I went over today to look at it again but I'm fairly sure it's the pump now - I can hear the micro switches triggering on the taps but more importantly when the tap is open and so the circuit is made the pump slowly starts to get hot............. Which to my mind makes sense if it is indeed seized - and wired into a common circuit 'protected' by one of those 15 amp fuses?

I'd spotted those Reich pumps but wondered about the effect of an extra 0.4 bar of pressure on the plumbing system.
The water will come out a bit faster. I doubt if you would notice much difference.

The water will only come out as fast as the aperture in the tap allows, so you will turn the handle a little less for the same result, your pump is burnt out, it has probably been run whilst not being cooled by water, it is supposed to only be run wet.
This one would do: https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/car...tPq-EhdFXgS9tAkTCuoe6uMt4QIKRVw1qvYR5NyBKriBU
Thanks for this, as it happens I've now found a way to buy the pump in Germany and have somebody bring it back to me.

Appreciate all the help, thanks all

Back