Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brake disc corrosion

BagmanJim

BagmanJim

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We are currently having an air-con service and idler pully changed, the later is the latest recall apparently. During the free vehicle health check the technician has said the rear brake pads have considerable corrosion (something I had noticed earlier) and they are saying the discs and pads could be replaced at a cost of £275.00 plus VAT. Now our Cali is just two years old and has less than 7000 miles on it. I feel this is a warrenty job but brakes are not covered even though in my opinion the brake discs must be inferior to be in the state they are. The vehicle has never seen road salt and I appreciate that not using a vehicle isn't ideal but I find this unacceptable.
Before anyone comes on here and berates me for not using the Cali for what it was designed for I was diagnosed with bowel cancer shortly after buying it and am currently undergoing chemo which really cramps your style!

Hi Calikev, I perhaps muddied the water a bit, they are saying the pads are ok although the anti rattle shim on one side has rusted through. The corrosion on the discs is quite bad especially towards the outside edge.

Something I forgot to mention is it's the rear discs they are referring to.

Are the discs clean and flat where the brake pads touch? If so i would leave it until the pads have worn down and replace both at the same time

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Sounds like a plan, although I have to say I'm dissapointed with the quality of the discs. You might expect it on a "bargain basement" vehicle like an LDV but a VW?

My discs will get a film of rust over night and is used daily so I guess if used less more and more forms.

We are currently having an air-con service and idler pully changed, the later is the latest recall apparently. During the free vehicle health check the technician has said the rear brake pads have considerable corrosion (something I had noticed earlier) and they are saying the discs and pads could be replaced at a cost of £275.00 plus VAT. Now our Cali is just two years old and has less than 7000 miles on it. I feel this is a warrenty job but brakes are not covered even though in my opinion the brake discs must be inferior to be in the state they are. The vehicle has never seen road salt and I appreciate that not using a vehicle isn't ideal but I find this unacceptable.
Before anyone comes on here and berates me for not using the Cali for what it was designed for I was diagnosed with bowel cancer shortly after buying it and am currently undergoing chemo which really cramps your style!

Hope your health situation improves, and you can get the use you planned out of your cali. Pads don't corrode but discs will corrode and rust pitting will occur with lack of use. Can someone help you by protect the 'weather side' of your vehicle wheels from wind blow rain. couple of big bin bags over the wheel and tyre. I wouldn't worry unduly as discs are a consumable and intended to be replaced, gentle use will remove rust from discs, though pitting may remain visible, lightly pitted discs after some use to remove the surface rust, (you have to ignore the grinding sounds) .... will pass the brake efficiency test, pad wear will be slightly higher ..

When asbestos was removed from brake pads the disc metal was made of a softer steel to compensate for the new pads. To get the same level of brake force as asbestos design.
The negative for the owner is that the pads wear faster and the discs wear and corrode more quickly.

The amount of dust on the front wheels shows this.

There may be better quality aftermarket ones available, I'll have a search.

EBC do list for transporter. I've used this supplier for my old sports car.

https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/automot...amper-van/2.0-Twin-TD-2015-/56172#prettyPhoto

Last edited:
If it's minimal surface rust it would disappear after braking a couple times from 30mph. If it's more severe I think you may be able to have the disc surface ground down a bit which would be cheaper and less wasteful than replacing.

We also need to remember that the technicians in many garages get sizeable bonuses for 'selling' extra work like this. If they still work as intended, I'd leave them alone.

I'm having rear pads and discs changed at my local garage today.
£245 fitted if that helps for price comparision .
Along with new battery and new front tyres, plus MOT :sad

I was told by VW during a normal service on my Passat that my disks and pads only had around 5000 miles service and I should consider replacement. 15000 miles later and the brakes are still fine. No mention was made at the last MOT.

Check the brakes yourself or get a friend to look if you are not confident and then make a decision.

image.jpg I had similar. I was told at my service that the shims on the rear brakes were buckled and I would need new pads because of it. I am no idiot and when I challenged them about why the shims had warped their reply was that it happens some times. I suggested a design fault and asked for them to be done under warranty. The story then changed to its nothing urgent, let's review the situation in 5000 miles time! Utter tosh.

When asbestos was removed from brake pads the disc metal was made of a softer steel to compensate for the new pads. To get the same level of brake force as asbestos design.
The negative for the owner is that the pads wear faster and the discs wear and corrode more quickly.

https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/automot...amper-van/2.0-Twin-TD-2015-/56172#prettyPhoto
Just a minor point perhaps, the disc brake rotors are made of cast iron as are virtually all car brake rotors used world wide (that's tens of millions and more).

Im

I'm not sure that's quite right. As you say asbestos was taken out and the coefficient of friction got worse and the pads harder. To compensate the servo action was increased which put more pressure on the discs hence they wear out sooner. Same effect, new discs required more often.

Our front discs were replaced this week as part of our £1000 Service (!!!) due to excessive corrosion.
They've lasted 8 years and 22000 miles but they've always been problematic. The biggest enemy of discs is lack of use.
Every time we use it the brakes feel awful until they've cleaned up.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I would expect corrosion with the mileage covered, 7000 miles over 2 years equates to 67 miles a week. This is a van conversion and vans do more than that i sure. Mine have been replaced once, now approaching 137000 miles

We just had disc's and pads all round last week. Pads were on the sensors and disc lipped 36000 miles over three and a half years genuine VW parts but fitted at independent garage £550. Dealer wanted £980

We just had disc's and pads all round last week. Pads were on the sensors and disc lipped 36000 miles over three and a half years genuine VW parts but fitted at independent garage £550. Dealer wanted £980
60,000 miles, pads 50% worn, Discs perfect , no corrosion, marks or lipping, but used almost every day except when downunder for 3 weeks.

Just had the same story after inspection, 14000 miles in 2 years. Corrosion through lack of use. Will work woth local garage to inspect and replace with OEM parts. Thanks B J G for the link.

Would there be any advantage in leaving it parked with the handbrake off? Obviously using dsg or chocks.

Just a minor point perhaps, the disc brake rotors are made of cast iron as are virtually all car brake rotors used world wide (that's tens of millions and more).

From my brief days with metalworking I was told that cast iron is very rust resistant. Milder steel with a higher Friction coefficient was introduced wi5h 5ge removal of asbestos from pad manufacture.

Back