Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brakes seized on when parked up for a long time

M

Mouse

Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
When we haven't used our Cali for a few weeks, the brakes tend to stick when I first release the handbrake. Apart from the noise this makes, I don't know if it is doing any harm to the discs or pads? We are parked in a secure and level garage, so we could leave the handbrake off and just use the levelling chocks as a safeguard against it rolling. What do others think?

Good idea, and leave in gear.
Although shouldn't do any harm. Brakes might well be noisy first few times, whatever you do, as the rust on the disks is scrubbed off. Nothing you can do about that.

Mine scrub a bit when it's been stood still for a few days. Just surface contamination that soon wears off. I've had the vehicle checked and rechecked and nothing wrong apparent so I just ignore it.

Heard that several times on my Renault Kangoo, my Cali just sits in P and handbreak stays off in garage .
Specialy when parking a wet car away afther few days seems the rust does the job sticking the breakpads...
Makes a scary noise as if something breaks off.....
Just leave it in gear and no handbreak .

Most discs will be slow to release if left for a few days, especially if wet when they start to rust/seize. Happens quite quickly. I park mine on a slight down hill drive against a block and never put the handbrake on. Sorted.

My Cali has a hill start function, in my old car which also had it if left for a few days the hill start wouldn't release quite as quickly. Are you parked on a hill or slope?

Back