Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brand new 6.1 Ocean roof continuing issue

Morsels

Morsels

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
I've posted about this before, but it is driving us nuts - I am sure this is not right! .

Here's our roof, it was put up fully at midnight last night, it is now 6pm the next day:D4198D19-18D8-4C2B-AECB-83CE6FBE38E3.jpeg99FFB917-E06B-4654-B5AB-4ADBA0EE729E.jpeg1FD86555-9813-4394-938B-D2D954AADF82.jpeg
The control panel says the roof is "intermediate", the lights don't work up there (as the van thinks the roof isn't fully up and has shut them off), and the kids complain about it flapping in the wind. Yet our VW dealer told us that VW told them that "10-20cm of roof sag is within tolerances" and there's nothing they can do about this.

The auto correct has in the past kicked in to correct it, but it hasn't recently even after waiting the 10 hours since the ignition was last turned on that is apparently necessary. And anyway, the roof sags far too much to be acceptable before it does/doesn't self correct.

I know it isn't the biggest problem in the world as we can just put the roof up again repeatedly, but it is a brand new van and I instinctively feel this is not right.

Am I being over-picky?
Is this a known problem on motorised 6.1 roofs?
How can I get the dealer to take me seriously/what should I say?

Any advice from owners who have dealt with or are dealing with the same issue would be gratefully received. Thanks!

I've posted about this before, but it is driving us nuts - I am sure this is not right! .

Here's our roof, it was put up fully at midnight last night, it is now 6pm the next day:View attachment 82865View attachment 82866View attachment 82867
The control panel says the roof is "intermediate", the lights don't work up there (as the van thinks the roof isn't fully up and has shut them off), and the kids complain about it flapping in the wind. Yet our VW dealer told us that VW told them that "10-20cm of roof sag is within tolerances" and there's nothing they can do about this.

The auto correct has in the past kicked in to correct it, but it hasn't recently even after waiting the 10 hours since the ignition was last turned on that is apparently necessary. And anyway, the roof sags far too much to be acceptable before it does/doesn't self correct.

I know it isn't the biggest problem in the world as we can just put the roof up again repeatedly, but it is a brand new van and I instinctively feel this is not right.

Am I being over-picky?
Is this a known problem on motorised 6.1 roofs?
How can I get the dealer to take me seriously/what should I say?

Any advice from owners who have dealt with or are dealing with the same issue would be gratefully received. Thanks!
Has been noted on the T6.1. Apparently there is a software update to fix the Intermediate/lights out unable to raise/lower roof problem.

That certainly doesn't look right, may result in accelerated wear if the fabric is flapping? Have a T6 with motorised roof so can't comment on ongoing issues with the T6.1

Has been noted on the T6.1. Apparently there is a software update to fix the Intermediate/lights out unable to raise/lower roof problem.
So we have had the software fix but it doesn't fix the rapid sagging, it feels like a sticking plaster rather than a real solution. Wonder if VW thinks this is indeed acceptable? I do hope not.

It’s very strange @Morsels that this fault doesn’t seem to affect all 6.1’s. We’ve not suffered this (yet) either before or after the software update.
I’m sure you are operating the roof correctly but do you push the button in until the roof is fully up and the motor/pump tone changes and then stops?

It’s very strange @Morsels that this fault doesn’t seem to affect all 6.1’s. We’ve not suffered this (yet) either before or after the software update.
I’m sure you are operating the roof correctly but do you push the button in until the roof is fully up and the motor/pump tone changes and then stops?
Yes we do.

I've got similar but one side only & not as bad.

The software just overrides the the stop function & lets you put the roof up or down from the intermediate position. It does not actually fix anything.

Mine has had new hydraulic rams & that hasn't cured it. We are now waiting for a new pump as its believed that there is a faulty valve in it. The pumps are not in stock in the UK and are on backorder.

VW have never suggested that they all do that / its normal Etc

It's not right . You have maybe low oil in the reservoir ( that's an easy fix) or you have a leaking bleed screw. Faulty hydraulic ram or faulty pump. These things are very finely engineered and need to be sealed precisely. My t6 now 5 years old has never done that in 10 hrs. Indeed stays up and taut for days on end. Don't let them fob you off with this

I've got similar but one side only & not as bad.

The software just overrides the the stop function & lets you put the roof up or down from the intermediate position. It does not actually fix anything.

Mine has had new hydraulic rams & that hasn't cured it. We are now waiting for a new pump as its believed that there is a faulty valve in it. The pumps are not in stock in the UK and are on backorder.

VW have never suggested that they all do that / its normal Etc
Thanks Andy, I have been following your exploits, too. I wonder if there is a competent VW dealer on here who can weigh in? With all due respect to mine, they are far from California experts, and are having to rely on what VW tells them, which will be based on them relaying what I in turn tell them, etc. I think they just want me to go away, but I can't accept this as "normal".

It's not right . You have maybe low oil in the reservoir ( that's an easy fix) or you have a leaking bleed screw. Faulty hydraulic ram or faulty pump. These things are very finely engineered and need to be sealed precisely. My t6 now 5 years old has never done that in 10 hrs. Indeed stays up and taut for days on end. Don't let them fob you off with this
Thanks Flying Banana. These are all things I can take with me when contesting that this is just "how it is".

When I took mine back after the rams had already been replaced, they didn't have it long enough for them to wait & see if it sagged. I can only think that there must be a fault showing on the diagnostics somewhere.
I can ask when it goes back for the new pump, but that won't be at least for a month or so as we are off on our travels shortly.

When I took mine back after the rams had already been replaced, they didn't have it long enough for them to wait & see if it sagged. I can only think that there must be a fault showing on the diagnostics somewhere.
I can ask when it goes back for the new pump, but that won't be at least for a month or so as we are off on our travels shortly.
Let's stay in touch this and share notes! I/we cannot be the "only ones" here, these's something we don't yet know, I suspect...

It is not right and it should not be doing that. We have a new T6.1 and have left the roof up for 3 days straight in a good range of outdoor temperatures and it didn’t drop at all.

Is there only dealer in Gibraltar I presume?

How many Software updates are currently outstanding for the T6.1…?
Seems to be a re-occurring theme at the minute.

Very disappointing to see…

Let's stay in touch this and share notes! I/we cannot be the "only ones" here, these's something we don't yet know, I suspect...
Such a shame it spoils the Campervan experience,but it can only be the check valves passing in the pump unit which has been documented before if dirt from the hoses has passed into the pump unit the valves can’t seal which will cause the cylinder oil to pass over the check valves.It probably only needs stripping down cleaning but you need a competent person and that is the hard bit.

Mine has never had the issue again since i did the reset up and down 4 times till the motor stopped. Went from sagging every night on the passenger site to no sag in the last month in any conditions.

Mine has never had the issue again since i did the reset up and down 4 times till the motor stopped. Went from sagging every night on the passenger site to no sag in the last month in any conditions.
That’s good but the issue probably was air in the system in your case

It is not right and it should not be doing that. We have a new T6.1 and have left the roof up for 3 days straight in a good range of outdoor temperatures and it didn’t drop at all.

Is there only dealer in Gibraltar I presume?
Yes, and I think I should try and find a Spanish dealer with more experience of these things rather than try to continue with the Gibraltar dealer who I’m sure would be the first to admit they’re not really set up to deal with this type of thing.

Thanks for the info/advice this is all good stuff to pass on when we return from our two-month trip!

Such a shame it spoils the Campervan experience,but it can only be the check valves passing in the pump unit which has been documented before if dirt from the hoses has passed into the pump unit the valves can’t seal which will cause the cylinder oil to pass over the check valves.It probably only needs stripping down cleaning but you need a competent person and that is the hard bit.

I suspect temperature extremes make a difference, we have got in the habbit of popping the roof down and up every few days.

Ultimately they are hydraulic, if you put the roof up and subsequently it's in direct sunlight the fluid in the rams will expand and pressure needs to release, there have been instances in the early days of these exploding when there wasn't a release facility.

Once the temperature cools the pressure drops again and the roof sags.

So, if you're somewhere hot and you put the roof up at the coldest time (midnight) it will drop by the maximum amount by the time its been through a full temperature cycle.

Try putting it up during the hottest part of the day and see where you are 24 hours later.

I suspect temperature extremes make a difference, we have got in the habbit of popping the roof down and up every few days.

Ultimately they are hydraulic, if you put the roof up and subsequently it's in direct sunlight the fluid in the rams will expand and pressure needs to release, there have been instances in the early days of these exploding when there wasn't a release facility.

Once the temperature cools the pressure drops again and the roof sags.

So, if you're somewhere hot and you put the roof up at the coldest time (midnight) it will drop by the maximum amount by the time its been through a full temperature cycle.

Try putting it up during the hottest part of the day and see where you are 24 hours later.
We suspect it is a factor too, but this is dropping to the point where something is clearly wrong sometimes in just 2-3 hours. We can correct the roof before bed, and it is substantially down by morning.

We suspect it is a factor too, but this is dropping to the point where something is clearly wrong sometimes in just 2-3 hours. We can correct the roof before bed, and it is substantially down by morning.
Doesn't sound right, it must be loosing pressure somehow, I'd still try bunging it up at different times of day to see if exactly the same thing happens