Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brandrup ISO-TOP MK VI

J

Jenny H

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Has anybody fitted yet ? Particularly to a Coast ?
I know there's 2 options one for a Coast & one for an Ocean.
And I know you have to take the front panaramic piece out to shut roof but as Im struggling somewhat to close my new manual roof with all the material there is without anything extra Im not sure I would manage with the Isotop fitted as well.
I know there are external covers you can buy but ideally wanted an internal one so it could stay put & if Im on my own I wouldnt have to struggle with the fitting of it on site.
Interested on hearing others experiences if you've got one fitted as it surely must add quite a bulk of material !?
I have thought about saving my money & buying the best thermals out there as a 2nd option!
Thanks.

Has anybody fitted yet ? Particularly to a Coast ?
I know there's 2 options one for a Coast & one for an Ocean.
And I know you have to take the front panaramic piece out to shut roof but as Im struggling somewhat to close my new manual roof with all the material there is without anything extra Im not sure I would manage with the Isotop fitted as well.
I know there are external covers you can buy but ideally wanted an internal one so it could stay put & if Im on my own I wouldnt have to struggle with the fitting of it on site.
Interested on hearing others experiences if you've got one fitted as it surely must add quite a bulk of material !?
I have thought about saving my money & buying the best thermals out there as a 2nd option!
Thanks.
image.jpg
Hi Jenny,
I don’t have my Ocean yet but I do have the Isotope. It really is very small. When it was delivered I remember thinking it’s a lot of money for not very much. So I think when covering a whole roof it will close just fine. My hand for size illustration (I am not a giant)

View attachment 75279
Hi Jenny,
I don’t have my Ocean yet but I do have the Isotope. It really is very small. When it was delivered I remember thinking it’s a lot of money for not very much. So I think when covering a whole roof it will close just fine. My hand for size illustration (I am not a giant)
Oh blimey that is small & so very helpful as I was envisaging the same thickness material as the roof canvas & just kept wondering if it would all fit! But yes I can see now its only really a thin sheet - makes you wonder why its so blooming expensive doesnt it! Thank you

Not sure if it's a perfect answer but I have the Panoramic roof in my T6 Ocean, which is certainly tighter than the roof I had on the Ocean I hired with a non-panoramic roof. Recently fitted an older style Mark IV Iso-Top without the opening front; it is a little tighter but then I can't remove my front Iso-top section. I don't know if it helps but I have a bellows bungee on and I tried to almost crease the folds of the roof when I got it to ensure if folded more easily, compared to the ones I had when hiring. It folds perfectly every time now and I then tuck in the Iso-top front window to make it easier to shut the sliding roof panel.

I think the main problem with the VI is the two sets of zips causing bulk in the corners, hence you have to remove the front section completely. Once removed the front panel of the Iso-Top I don't think it would cause you problems. @andyinluton bought a Mark VI Iso-top in his T6.1 Ocean, so he would be a good bet for a more definitive answer.

In terms of cost, I think this comes down to it being Goretex, which is expensive at the best of times!

Not sure if it's a perfect answer but I have the Panoramic roof in my T6 Ocean, which is certainly tighter than the roof I had on the Ocean I hired with a non-panoramic roof. Recently fitted an older style Mark IV Iso-Top without the opening front; it is a little tighter but then I can't remove my front Iso-top section. I don't know if it helps but I have a bellows bungee on and I tried to almost crease the folds of the roof when I got it to ensure if folded more easily, compared to the ones I had when hiring. It folds perfectly every time now and I then tuck in the Iso-top front window to make it easier to shut the sliding roof panel.

I think the main problem with the VI is the two sets of zips causing bulk in the corners, hence you have to remove the front section completely. Once removed the front panel of the Iso-Top I don't think it would cause you problems. @andyinluton bought a Mark VI Iso-top in his T6.1 Ocean, so he would be a good bet for a more definitive answer.

In terms of cost, I think this comes down to it being Goretex, which is expensive at the best of times!
Thank you it does explain why they say to remove the front section because of the zips.
I havent bought a bungee as thought I would see how it all folds in first on my manual roof as seen some people just dont need them.
That also explains the cost as you say being Goretex but I think it would be worth it just to be able to leave it in place & minimize the fath on site as I really dont fancy making a show of myself fitting an outside cover!!

Thank you it does explain why they say to remove the front section because of the zips.
I havent bought a bungee as thought I would see how it all folds in first on my manual roof as seen some people just dont need them.
That also explains the cost as you say being Goretex but I think it would be worth it just to be able to leave it in place & minimize the fath on site as I really dont fancy making a show of myself fitting an outside cover!!
Hi, I fitted one it all fits in the roof fine and I have no bungee,the zip front panel can be rolled down and the roof closes with no issues.

I've fitted the VI to an ocean, yes its tight but it does all fit, part of the problem is not just the zips but also there are now 2 folding struts in the canvas at the outside edges of the front as against just one in the middle on the earlier roofs.

I would suggest - and will probably get shot down now, that the bellows bungee shouldn't be used, it will add more bulk in exactly the place you don't want it, in those front corners.

I have used a bungee for about 12 months of my now 7 years of cali ownership & wouldn't bother. I was never comfortable with something pulling all the time against the canvas when the roof was up.
When lowering the roof, unless you've got the bungee very tight, once its dropped 12" the bungee isn't doing anything anyway & from what I've seen its the gust of wind at the last minute when the roof is half down that blows the canvas out instead of being tucked in.

The T6.1 seems to fold better than the old roofs as well, not sure if its just the change in canvas or changes to the folding struts that have made a difference.

I completely agree about making it easier on your own, which was exactly my reasoning for having it.

Not used it away camping yet but had the roof up and down plenty of times on the drive with the kids and it’s fantastic. Zipping in the front panel would be an extra step compared with mine but no where near near the hassle of an external topper when you’re in your own.

Last edited:
Hi, I fitted one it all fits in the roof fine and I have no bungee,the zip front panel can be rolled down and the roof closes with no issues.
Thanks, so the front panel remains (unzipped) in the roof space when you lower the roof? Not removed entirely?

Thanks, so the front panel remains (unzipped) in the roof space when you lower the roof? Not removed entirely?
Depends on which model you have. If you are fitting the new mark VI, to take advantage of the panoramic opening, then you need to zip the front panel of the Iso-top out completely.

I have fitted and older model (the IV) which means I can't open my panoramic window, but I never use it so it's not important to me.

hi yes that correct, you just need to roll it up neatly, the 2 buttons on the door tie are the only thing to watch when closing the blind just take care and all is good

Depends on which model you have. If you are fitting the new mark VI, to take advantage of the panoramic opening, then you need to zip the front panel of the Iso-top out completely.

I have fitted and older model (the IV) which means I can't open my panoramic window, but I never use it so it's not important to me.
Yes it'll be the Mark VI. I understood I would have to unzip the panoramic panel, I hadn't realised it needs to be completely removed.

hi yes that correct, you just need to roll it up neatly, the 2 buttons on the door tie are the only thing to watch when closing the blind just take care and all is good
Great, thanks

Yes it'll be the Mark VI. I understood I would have to unzip the panoramic panel, I hadn't realised it needs to be completely removed.
Sorry...I didn't make that very clear! Oops:oops:

The panoramic front of the VI has a zip down each side at the front, as well as the normal arched window opening.

When shutting the roof I just lower the zips to the bottom so the front panel hangs down, you don't need to completely disconnect it. So literarily takes a second to zip back up. Its the same when using the panoramic window, just lower the zips & roll up the panel.

The only time you need to fully remove the front panel is if you are replacing it with the optional fly screen.

Sorry...I didn't make that very clear! Oops:oops:
Thinking about it, for those who want an internal liner but who have a tight roof, you could just unzip the panel, detach it completely from the bottom velcro too and stow it elsewhere. That way if you want to pop the top for extra head room but not to sleep etc you get the bonus of the extra light from the front canvas area and can easily access the front window/panoramic window. Then when it comes to bedtime it would take a couple of minutes to zip it back in.

Depends how you use your van I suppose but might be worth bearing in mind, if you use yours regularly as a day van but want the internal liner for sleeping.

Back