Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brandrup isolite vs isolite extreme?

HappyGus

HappyGus

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi,

I've been out in the snow for the first time with my T6.1 ocean edition. After ~20h of heating, the aux battery was quite low and it then refused to heat anymore.
So i was willing to get some additional isolation, in order to have more battery and feel less the cold from the windows.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 3 cabin window are not insulated , and since I've the windows that I can open on both side on the cabin(above the kitchen and in the door), I guess they aren't insulated too. The three rear ones are supposed to be insulated(no heating in rear window).

I came accross the brandrup isolite and isolite extreme.
Does anybody knows how much better is the extreme version? I mean, they are 2-3x the price of the standard version.

Also, would you advise me to have them on all window? Only the front one? all except the insulated ones?

I had them on all windows summer and winter. I would definitely get them again.
In your situation, are you also sure the leisure batteries are in good condition? Did you have anything else that could be draining the batteries?

Difference is in the thickness or insulating capability.

These are designed for the Caravelle or possibly a Beach with no Wardrobe.

As the Ocean has blinds it would be logical to use the standard and thinner version plus closing the blinds.

Most heat loss will be through the top, if open. Fitting an Iso-Top would be beneficial.

As the Ocean has blinds it would be logical to use the standard and thinner version plus closing the blinds.

Most heat loss will be through the top, if open. Fitting an Iso-Top would be beneficial.

The Isolite Extreme also have a reflective surface (not sure the Isolite does). I found the fit behind the blinds quite comfortably.
Agree an internal isotop and / or external topper also help (summer and winter).
With the van on the driveway with the roof down, on a very hot summers day, with the isolite extreme it was still cool inside mid afternoon. I was impressed.

I have Solar Ceramic Window Film on all windows, except windscreen, and besides reducing heat coming in they also have some beneficial insulation properties. Helps condensation reduction also.

Thanks for the feedback, in winter, we usually sleep downstairs.
We use an external topper, mostly to keep the top dry and isolate a bit.

So you would take them for all the windows?

The Isolite Extreme also have a reflective surface (not sure the Isolite does). I found the fit behind the blinds quite comfortably.
Agree an internal isotop and / or external topper also help (summer and winter).
With the van on the driveway with the roof down, on a very hot summers day, with the isolite extreme it was still cool inside mid afternoon. I was impressed.

I'm not totally sure what you mean by reflective surface?

This is the isolite, is it considered as reflective?

Attachments

• 987.jpg
    987.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 36
The main problem is the configuration / performance of the heater. There is an issue on the 6.1 which I’ve not followed in detail but has been discussed here. One that’s fixed, you can be warm with the windows down!

The isolate extreme have a grey cloth finish to the interior surfaces, and the front screen has a separate cloth flap to create a more gradual gradient of temperature near the screen, and hopefully reduce condensation. From memory, the flap also covers the ash vents.

The main problem is the configuration / performance of the heater. There is an issue on the 6.1 which I’ve not followed in detail but has been discussed here. One that’s fixed, you can be warm with the windows down!

The isolate extreme have a grey cloth finish to the interior surfaces, and the front screen has a separate cloth flap to create a more gradual gradient of temperature near the screen, and hopefully reduce condensation. From memory, the flap also covers the ash vents.
Really? I'm not aware of the issue? Do you have a link?

Do a Forum search for T6.1 heater problem

Do a Forum search for T6.1 heater problem
The thread I've found are more about the level of the T6.1 not maching the one of the T6, which is what my dealership told me.

My question is more about better insulation to heat less often

I came accross the brandrup isolite and isolite extreme.
Does anybody knows how much better is the extreme version? I mean, they are 2-3x the price of the standard version.

Also, would you advise me to have them on all window? Only the front one? all except the insulated ones?
For the front windscreen, the isolate extreme is actually 2 screens, one goes close to the glass, the other drops down on the front face of the dashboard to form an air gap between the two layers - from the Brandrup Brochure :ISOLITE Extreme insulates the windscreen optimally:

an ISOLITE Inside mat fits tightly to the windscreen. A second ISO-TOP Extreme mat is fixed to the inside of this mat; an air cus- hion is embedded between those insulating mats.

We use Isolite normal for the cab windows & find them sufficient, but it sounds like you are winter camping & need the extra layers.

We also use an Isolite in the sliding door window, just to save having to keep putting the built in blind up & down all the time when using the door.

For the front windscreen, the isolate extreme is actually 2 screens, one goes close to the glass, the other drops down on the front face of the dashboard to form an air gap between the two layers - from the Brandrup Brochure :ISOLITE Extreme insulates the windscreen optimally:

an ISOLITE Inside mat fits tightly to the windscreen. A second ISO-TOP Extreme mat is fixed to the inside of this mat; an air cus- hion is embedded between those insulating mats.

We use Isolite normal for the cab windows & find them sufficient, but it sounds like you are winter camping & need the extra layers.

We also use an Isolite in the sliding door window, just to save having to keep putting the built in blind up & down all the time when using the door.
Thanks! Do you have a sliding window in the sliding window?

Thanks! Do you have a sliding window in the sliding window?
Yes but the isolite I use is one big rectangle that covers both halves of the window, so the one for a window without a slider.

The thread I've found are more about the level of the T6.1 not maching the one of the T6, which is what my dealership told me.

My question is more about better insulation to heat less often
As I tried to say, a well functioning heater will more than adequately heat a cali, even with no window protection, so the root of your problem is the heater, not the lack of insulation.

We all use insulation for the windows, for privacy, to reduce condensation and to not waste energy, but not because we are too cold (unless you own a T6.1 apparently). I'm sure the 6.1 heater problem will be resolved soon (many already have been) but I'm sure its a control (panel) problem rather than they've started fitting rubbish heaters.

Have the exteme - works well. Seems to create another layer of air between the inner fabric and the insulated foiled one which is close to the window. Would buy again.

Back