Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brandrup Second Skin seat covers

wyn

wyn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I am thinking of buying a set of Brandrup Second Skin seat covers but would like to know whether it is still possible to use a child seat with isofit mountings with these covers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, I bought a set of second hand brandrup covers recently which were only 9 months old. They don't have the isofix labels sewn on them that are on the original seat at the isofix points but the base and back cushion covers are separate so don't obstruct the isofix fixings.
That said, I have read many times about the difficulty of accessing the isofix fixings on the bench seat and I can confirm that I've only tried once but gave up after about 10 mins (defeats the point of isofix a bit but I wasn't needing to use it, just trying install). The position of the cushions was putting the isofix arms at wrong angles for connection. I will try another day when I have nothing else to do and know that others have managed.
I'm not sure about the covers for the extra single seat, I don't have one for it, the front ones are base and back cushions and I would have thought it would be the same. As a plus point isofix is easy to access on the single seat it's just fitting the seat in the car
that takes the time there.
If you or anyone else has any tips on isofix fitting to the rear bench, I'd be delighted if you could share them.

We use our Recaro seat in the van a lot using ISOFIX. It's a hassle until you know where to look for the connectors. Best way to start with is open the tailgate and visually locate the two isofix brackets, they are like U shaped metal hoops and are quite far back compared to a normal car seat. Poke something through the seat like a straw so you can see where they come out. Then with the seat connect the one nearest the middle of the seat first and the second one is a bit simpler to find. We had INKA covers and marked them with marker then made specific holes and chopped the plastic rod. Once you've had the seat in and out a couple of times it becomes much easier. HTH.

NZCol said:
We use our Recaro seat in the van a lot using ISOFIX. It's a hassle until you know where to look for the connectors. Best way to start with is open the tailgate and visually locate the two isofix brackets, they are like U shaped metal hoops and are quite far back compared to a normal car seat. Poke something through the seat like a straw so you can see where they come out. Then with the seat connect the one nearest the middle of the seat first and the second one is a bit simpler to find. We had INKA covers and marked them with marker then made specific holes and chopped the plastic rod. Once you've had the seat in and out a couple of times it becomes much easier. HTH.

Thanks for your encouragement and advice. After a lot of effort, broken finger nails and cut fingers I've managed to get the hang of it.
I haven't needed to use it but had time today to try again. I could see and feel the isofix points but the position of the isofix arms on the childseat meant that when they were pushed through the gap between base and back cushions, they were way below the isofix points even with my weight on the child seat base trying to force it down into the seat cushion to allow the arms to be more horizontal. However, after nearly giving up again, I found that when I slid the bench forward and reclined the back a fair way, it made sliding the arms in at a more horizontal angle much easier. I disconnected them and relatively easily reconnected them a few times so will do it this way in future. Thrilled that I can make use of them when needed :clap

I would just like to post a big thumbs up for forum advice to invest in seat covers. They were very much appreciated this morning when a little unexpected guest arrived in our camper and left a wee deposit.

image.jpg

Back