Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bratt-Mo-Beal

N

Nuttynanny

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi everyone, NuttyNanny here, new to all this, so bare with me! Just got myself new Cali 2017/18 had it a week now, what a drive aeh!! Had to wait 8months or so, my sons say l'm a Bratt ha!! 68 & can't wait to go Everywhere in her!! Question: noticed condensation only small amount in my head lights has anyone else had this early in the morning ? VW are checking this for me as we speak, so will let you know what they say. TTFN

Hi and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new van I am sure you will have fun.

Hi Nanny,

Can’t comment on the headlamps but I can extend a warm welcome and say congratulations on your new smile machine :D

not had any condensation inside my Cali lights in the past on other car I have had and there was an issue with seal

:welcome

I can offer that Landrover had rear light condensation on the evoque. Many were told that it was normal to a certain degree. For those owners, it went one way or the other by being either rare or obscuring the light behind the condensation to a level where it's function was impaired. When that happened the lights were replaced by LR.
So it's not unheard of and something tells me they need to breathe (but thats my own logic there) hence why it can happen.
Bottom line is, if the light pattern or brightness is noticeably affected then its wrong. Good luck Nutty.

Hi, thanks to you all for reply. Loving my Cali so very much yes! Condensation In new head lights is in the morning at 5 a.m. but very little. New lights shouldn't have condensation should they? :thanks

I had condensation in a Passat fog lights some years ago and VW replaced them on warranty.
Shouldn't have any inside lens as in time it discolours the reflector. Keep a close check on it as the moisture can't get out.

I had condensation in a Passat fog lights some years ago and VW replaced them on warranty.
Shouldn't have any inside lens as in time it discolours the reflector. Keep a close check on it as the moisture can't get out.
If moisture can't get out, surely it can't get in?
I suppose the difference is that once it's in it will gather in low areas until it evaporates and the gathering pool may grow quicker than the evaporation.

If moisture can't get out, surely it can't get in?
I suppose the difference is that once it's in it will gather in low areas until it evaporates and the gathering pool may grow quicker than the evaporation.
It gets in through even a small sealing fault but doesn't get out in vapour form, just get suspended in the light unit.
You could check that all plugs on the lamp rear are properly fitted, not an easy task.

I think the headlight should be sealed so that moisture does not get in. The reflector must degrade if its allowed to remain.

:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome
Have you got LED headlights?

With Halogen headlights you can get some condensation if the headlights are fitted and the rubber boots fitted in a humid atmosphere then when ambient temperature drops you can get some condensation appearing which disappears as the temperature rises or the headlights on.
An easy way of solving this is to ease off the rubber boot over the wire/ bulb entry and push it back on on a dry day when the condensation has gone or run with the headlights until no condensation and then reposition the boot.
There could be a leak but unlikely if both headlights are affected.

I think the headlight should be sealed so that moisture does not get in. The reflector must degrade if its allowed to remain.
The Halogen and Zenon headlights are not airtight at the rear but the body and lense should be sealed at the front. I don’t know about the LED lights but as they also heat up then probably the same.

Welcome @Nuttynanny . Enjoy the new Cali.

The lights should not let in any water as these are sealed units. VW will replace within warranty.

Welcome Nutty from a Mad Granny!

The Halogen and Zenon headlights are not airtight at the rear but the body and lense should be sealed at the front. I don’t know about the LED lights but as they also heat up then probably the same.

I've currently got 2 vehicles with LED headlights & have owned 30+ without, the only 2 that have had problems with condensation are the LED ones.
I don't think the actual LEDs get hot enough to burn off the moisture.

My Porsche had the common problem with the rear lenses where the solution if under warranty was to have them replaced at £400 each, if not under warranty drill a very small hole in the bottom edge to let water drain out.