Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Breathable Awning Carpet/Groundsheet

C

Calimark

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi, does anyone have any recommendations for a breathable awning carpet/groundsheet which can be used under the awning or in a driveaway awning. I am looking for one that is 3m x 3m so it fits snugly into the Khyam motordome classic which I have just purchased. There are a few makes on the market so it would be good to know whether anyone has had an experience with them. Thanks.

We use this, or something very close to it in design. I think the same manufactured product is sold under several brand names, and there is no labelling on ours:

http://www.kampa.co.uk/products/caravan ... ad-carpet/

We use it for our standard Cali sun awning - we don't have a drive away - so it's very much an inside-outside carpet, out in all weathers and conditions.

The plus points:
- it's very tough and can be blasted with a hose to clean it off. It doesn't come pristine, but it's a pretty dull colour anyway so dirt doesn't show
- it is a godsend when you are on muddy ground or wet grass as it prevents your feet from churning up the ground and stops mud being tramped into the van
- it has a surprisingly warm to the touch feel (but see comment about damp below)
- you can pack it away wet into its plastic case, and the water will literally fall out of it during the day. You can take it out of the bag almost dry and tip away the water. Store it zip upwards so that the water doesn't fall out into the van
- it seems to have survived two years of travelling, rain, sun and packing away wet without any mould or other ill effects
I've never noticed any damage to the grass underneath after a few days down

Be aware though that:
- if you stand on it in bare feet (or worse, socks - ugh!) it will transmit ground dampness to you. It is by design breathable and NOT waterproof. But you can park all of your shoes, pots, pans and other non porous stuff on it.

Ours is 250x230 which fits neatly between the canopy legs

yep, look pretty similar to ours. I should add to my comments above that it is not waterproof because of the open weave, but the material (which feels like polypropylene) doesn't absorb water.

I use something called Eco mat it's like the rubberised stuff you can buy for your dashboard to stop things slipping around try googling Eco mat :thumb

Back