Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

BRITTANY FERRIES COVID 19 REFUND VOUCHER

W

Wondering Star

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi
We like many others had our travel plans with Brittany ferries cancelled this Easter.
Our crossing £970 had been paid in full, however we can not get a refund and are only being offered a travel voucher valid for 2yrs.
Although this is generous, I would prefer the monies paid now for obviously reasons.
Legally I'm told a refund should be given within 14 days but dispute my requests Brittany ferries refuse.
Has anyone else experience this ?

Hi
We like many others had our travel plans with Brittany ferries cancelled this Easter.
Our crossing £970 had been paid in full, however we can not get a refund and are only being offered a travel voucher valid for 2yrs.
Although this is generous, I would prefer the monies paid now for obviously reasons.
Legally I'm told a refund should be given within 14 days but dispute my requests Brittany ferries refuse.
Not with Brittany ferries but Calmac have given us a refund.
All campsite & cottage bookings we had for this year have given vouchers valid for 1 - 2 years.

I suspect we'll see this a lot. I'm about to try to talk to the travel company about some international flights for a trip we booked in June we now won't be doing, and the best I'm realistically hoping for is a voucher for next year.

A claim on travel insurance may make sense, although that may also be hard to get in practice I'm afraid.

Personally I'd take the future travel voucher.

I was informed by CAMC that my Eurotunnel ticket won't be refunded and only a credit given for 12 months.

@larrylamb , I think you will find your Eurotunnel ticket is a credit for twelve months from date of purchase not from date of original departure.
I am happy for you to tell me I am wrong!

I’m having problems with Expedia only offering vouchers on a cancelled flight, but I’m expecting that will pay up eventually..... or go bust!

I suspect we'll see this a lot. I'm about to try to talk to the travel company about some international flights for a trip we booked in June we now won't be doing, and the best I'm realistically hoping for is a voucher for next year.

A claim on travel insurance may make sense, although that may also be hard to get in practice I'm afraid.

Personally I'd take the future travel voucher.
The problem people are having with vouchers is that when they are trying to rebook the price difference is meaning they have to fork out a lot more cash. My Air Malta booking through Expedia has been cancelled and Air Malta say Expedia will refund, Expedia say voucher only!

Yes with BF, 2 year voucher as you say. Plus 15% off if rebooked by end of July this year.

I am ok with it as I do intend to book Santander to Plymouth the moment they resume service.

Hi
I presume you cancelled the ferry?

If Brittany Ferries had cancelled or Government or EU travel restrictions had prevented you travelling then you would have got a full refund.
As it was your decision I don't believe they are required to give a cash refund.

The problem people are having with vouchers is that when they are trying to rebook the price difference is meaning they have to fork out a lot more cash. My Air Malta booking through Expedia has been cancelled and Air Malta say Expedia will refund, Expedia say voucher only!
That is against the Law as far as I am aware.

It is their policy to provide the voucher even if they cancel the ferry, as they did in my case. However I could not be bothered to argue the toss with them as I intend to rebook as soon as they resume service.

My only risk is if they go out of business, but as they are still operating ships to ferry freight, it’s a risk I am willing to take.

That is against the Law as far as I am aware.
That’s what I understand but they are making the process almost impossible.... Expedia email notifying of flight cancellation doesn‘t offer a refund so you have to call them and they will not talk to you until 72 hours before flight time! When you then call you can’t get through.
I will try to call when I’m at 72 hours otherwise just plug away once things have settled down! They have confirmed (not paid yet) refunds for hotel & transfer.
From social media, I’m just one of many!

It is their policy to provide the voucher even if they cancel the ferry, as they did in my case. However I could not be bothered to argue the toss with them as I intend to rebook as soon as they resume service.

My only risk is if they go out of business, but as they are still operating ships to ferry freight, it’s a risk I am willing to take.
My partner has a booking with Brittany, for June, which they have just taken payment for but she will have the flexibility of changing the date at no cost so we will wait and see.

We had a long weekend booked to Isle of White in May through Red Funnel, also booked the campsite through them. They e-mailed on 31st March with a holding statement, then phoned us last week very apologetic but due to the campsites taking a decision to stay closed until at least end of May they would be sending us a full refund.
A bit of a contrast to Easyjet who we should have been flying back from Mallorca with today - we will try and process your refund within 30 days but if you dont hear from us dont bother calling us fro 90 days :mad:

So a SME like Red funnel can do the right thing and a large quoted company trys to palm you of with vouchers and treats their customers as a free loans facility.

Rec3nt trip to Barcelona booked with East jet, they cancelled the flight, they subsequently sent an email to confirm cancellation and offer voucher / credit , rebook or refund.
The later was my preference, after many phone calls to the customer service number provided by easy jet, only to have a recorded message tell me to call back later (no other options available) before they hanging up.
The trip was booked through my Credit card Co.
initially they said I must sort it out with easy jet, couple of weeks later, called them to advise of the contact issue with easy jet customer service, and the credit card company agreed to process the refund (Upto 45 days before it hits my account)
The crux is if the company cancelled ( not you) you are under U.K. law you are entitled to a full refund.
If you paid on credit card they will reimburse you if the company either refuses or is unobtainable .

My experience regarding Brittany Ferries. Bit log winded.
I was in France when it went into lockdown.
I had brought my return trip forward from the following Tuesday (prior to sailing over to France) to Friday the 20th March.and was charged £25 for so doing. I expected reduced Ferry operations due to the changing Virus situation.

I was advised by my Daughter, late Tuesday evening, that BF were stopping sailings from Thursday the 19th March inclusive. No direct advice received from BF.
Phone call to BF and told that 'no space for my vehicle' and got cut off. Called back and told to call next day during office hours.
tried for 3 hours to get through the next day, Wednesday, on both Customer Service number and number given online booking page. Approx 400 attempts, engaged, got through 4 times, 3 dropped out during option selections and once put on hold for 32mins then operator said that they couldn't hear me and hung up.
Gave up as now Wed. midday.

looked for alternative route home and booked online via Dieppe with no problem.

Later found that I'd missed 2 calls (left the phone on charge) from the BF Customer Service number about 4.15pm. No text or email
received.
Email and text advising that my booking for Friday 20th Crossing was cancelled received at approx 11am Thurday. also advised that an email would follow regarding this matter.

Email received advising that a credit would be held for the return part of booking and that a 2 month extension would be given to my Club Membership renewal date.

I did a full email relating to the whole saga and requested a refund for the 325 change of booking which was cancelled.
Current state is that they won't refund the £25 as I'd used the travel outbound part of the ticket (that wasn't changed) and inferred that it was my fault for not answering their 2 calls or having an answering service facility. No mention of no text or email being sent or apology for my 400 attempts to contact them failing.
They also seemed to shift responsibility onto the French, Spanish and UK Governments for ceasing to operate. Strange as they were the only Ferry operator to do so at that time.
Later found that they are operating a limited freight only service.

My financial cost is only £103 plus the booking £25 but found the Customer Service bordering on the incompetent and certainly not generating any goodwill or loyalty.

Seeing that currently the Media are reporting similar cases with Airlines and Package Holiday Operators and quoting EU regulations on refunds being an entitlement I'm watching to see how this issue progresses.

Excuse me for venting my frustration here.

So, I have a booking with Channel Tunnel for 4th May on a non refundable ticket, booked back in Dec 2019. The crossing will take place but I can't travel in my Cali in the UK because my journey is not essential (it's a holiday) and fails the French travel rules for the same reason (also fails on grounds of I'm not travelling to my main residence, or for health reasons).
I call CT and they say the best they can do is offer a different crossing date and return but must be within 12 months of original booking date - not travel date.
Do you think this is the best I will get?

So, I have a booking with Channel Tunnel for 4th May on a non refundable ticket, booked back in Dec 2019. The crossing will take place but I can't travel in my Cali in the UK because my journey is not essential (it's a holiday) and fails the French travel rules for the same reason (also fails on grounds of I'm not travelling to my main residence, or for health reasons).
I call CT and they say the best they can do is offer a different crossing date and return but must be within 12 months of original booking date - not travel date.
Probably, if they don’t cancel your crossing. However you might get a refund via your credit card, if you used that for the booking. Anyway, I doubt if French Passport Control would allow you to board, would they?

I would think so, as its obviously a different situation than if the carrier has themselves cancelled the service. I can't imagine they would offer a refund, unfortunately.

A credit note is worthless if the company folds.
If you chose a credit note or voucher etc you will loose every if the company folds, regardless if you paid the original on Credit card,
The credit card company will say that they ar not responsible as you accept new terms from the supplier.
Be wary of credit note, as the op says may of these companies will not be here soon, sad but the facts and you can say good by to your hard earned cash.

A credit note is worthless if the company folds.
If you chose a credit note or voucher etc you will loose every if the company folds, regardless if you paid the original on Credit card,
The credit card company will say that they ar not responsible as you accept new terms from the supplier.
Be wary of credit note, as the op says may of these companies will not be here soon, sad but the facts and you can say good by to your hard earned cash.

Yes in theory but most us have no choice, the airlines etc have said they don't have enough cash for refunds so a credit note or voucher is all we're going to get. I'm sure the majority of us on this forum are in similar situations with travel bookings, but this isn't business as usual.

Yes in theory but most us have no choice, the airlines etc have said they don't have enough cash for refunds so a credit note or voucher is all we're going to get. I'm sure the majority of us on this forum are in similar situations with travel bookings, but this isn't business as usual.
I merely state the facts

I would think so, as its obviously a different situation than if the carrier has themselves cancelled the service. I can't imagine they would offer a refund, unfortunately.
Thx. This was my feeling really. Moving on......

Back