Brittany Ferries to Santander/ Bilbao

larrylamb

larrylamb

Cali owner.
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I have been looking at return ferry prices July/August 2018 to Bilbao or Santander. I knew it wasn't cheap but so far quotes for 2 adults, 1 child, Cali and overnight cabin return come in around £1300. Is this normal price or can I get this price down? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi
we paid £570 one way this year for journey with outside cabin for 2 people in August
Cali booked as a MPV with bike rack upto 3m tall
hope this helps
Dave and Lisa

Hi if you are a member of camping & caravan club you get a good discount might be worth joining. Just for reference got a return to Isle of Wight for £37.00 with club discount.

I have been looking at return ferry prices July/August 2018 to Bilbao or Santander. I knew it wasn't cheap but so far quotes for 2 adults, 1 child, Cali and overnight cabin return come in around £1300. Is this normal price or can I get this price down? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Seems about right for a return trip, but how much will it cost otherwise to get to that area.
Channel Ferry return. Miles to drive, how much diesel to be used, tolls payed, campsite fees for a return trip and what value do you put on the 2/3 days to drive down and the same to drive back?

When you start to do the sums it’s not so costly.

We have often considered using this crossing but the price is just so ridiculous. I have just come back from Mallorca, we stayed in a 4 star hotel, all inclusive, flights by British Airways and had a hire car for a week, all for less than £900. If we had done the same trip in our Cali staying at campsites it would of cost nearly £3,000.

This is what all my mates don't get about the camping lark, they all go on luxurious plane holidays and always spend less than me.

Before you all jump on me with the 'it's the experience' card, I am with you all on that but you can see why outsiders think we are mad

We have often considered using this crossing but the price is just so ridiculous. I have just come back from Mallorca, we stayed in a 4 star hotel, all inclusive, flights by British Airways and had a hire car for a week, all for less than £900. If we had done the same trip in our Cali staying at campsites it would of cost nearly £3,000.

This is what all my mates don't get about the camping lark, they all go on luxurious plane holidays and always spend less than me.

Before you all jump on me with the 'it's the experience' card, I am with you all on that but you can see why outsiders think we are mad
Off peak bargains can be had but we cannot get a 3 week package holiday abroad with all food, drink and activities for anywhere near what we paid to visit Germany in the school hols. Unfortunately we are tied with school holidays for a few more years and we all know what a ripoff the prices are in those periods even camping.

Off peak bargains can be had but we cannot get a 3 week package holiday abroad with all food, drink and activities for anywhere near what we paid to visit Germany in the school hols. Unfortunately we are tied with school holidays for a few more years and we all know what a ripoff the prices are in those periods even camping.
The Bilbao ferry is a nice start to a holiday as you have 2 nights on board. The Ferry stops in France - not for passengers but to change crew/re-provision etc and less weather dependant as it goes round the coast of the Bay of Biscay unlike the Santander ferry that does a high speed dash straight across.
As another poster said - Outward to Bilbao and homeward drive up through France.

I have just come back from Bilbao, paid £302 but that of course is off season and one person. This was the Economie which meant the van was open deck and got covered in salt crystals. Would have been cheaper but was last minute booking so couldn't use the C&CC discount.
Personally I find it deadly boring being on a ferry for about thirty hours and wish I had driven back through France. Probably would have been quicker as well. Don't forget you also have the cost of meals on the ferry.
Shan't do it again. Will likely do Newhaven (which like Portsmouth is easier to get to than Dover from the north) on DFDS whose prices are very reasonable imo to Dieppe, Rouen (free), autoroute Le Mans, Tours, Poiters (tolled), N10 to Bordeaux (free and now nearly all dual carriageway) then down to Biarritz and the border (this used to be free but is now partly tolled)
You could do Portsmouth -Caen/Le Havre but his only saves a couple of hours and is more expensive (Brittany Ferries again)
The motorway over the border is tolled as far down as Bilbao, but then you have the choice of all the free motorways.
Use via Michelin to check costs.
Couple of maps here may help.
france-motorway-map.jpg

spain-map-672.jpg

Edit: just noticed WGs post. The few times we have used the BIlbao ferry it hasn't stopped in France. Just gone straight over. Very rough last year, return crossing was cancelled.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Just mulling over ideas for next summer. At the moment looking at sailing to Santander/Bilbao and then heading to South west France or alternatively visiting Austria.
I will look at one way ferry trip or driving down through France, thanks Brian for the info.
Left it late this year for our summer trip so trying to be on the ball for next year. :thumb

We got the Plymouth to Roscoff ferry drove though France (end of August) & got the ferry back from Bilbao to Portsmouth (September) 2 adults/2 dogs , a cabin out & dog cabin back costs £ 840 but we did have the club voyage card ( from Brittany Ferry).

Saved using the Club Voyage card because we did Plymouth to Roscoff & back last year.

Full breakfast on Bilbao ferry cost £ 2.50( with club voyage).
I’m really enjoyed the 24 hour ferry back from Bilbao ,very relaxing.

Not sure if it still runs but we used DFDS from Gijon to Plymouth 3-4 years ago, and it was miles cheaper than any alternative. No thrills though.

Also have a think about the direction of ferry travel if doing it one way. We met some people who said they wished they'd driven down and caught the ferry back, as they got the impression that they were heading home for most of their holiday (which they were of course).

I have just come back from Bilbao, paid £302 but that of course is off season and one person. This was the Economie which meant the van was open deck and got covered in salt crystals. Would have been cheaper but was last minute booking so couldn't use the C&CC discount.
Personally I find it deadly boring being on a ferry for about thirty hours and wish I had driven back through France. Probably would have been quicker as well. Don't forget you also have the cost of meals on the ferry.
Shan't do it again. Will likely do Newhaven (which like Portsmouth is easier to get to than Dover from the north) on DFDS whose prices are very reasonable imo to Dieppe, Rouen (free), autoroute Le Mans, Tours, Poiters (tolled), N10 to Bordeaux (free and now nearly all dual carriageway) then down to Biarritz and the border (this used to be free but is now partly tolled)
You could do Portsmouth -Caen/Le Havre but his only saves a couple of hours and is more expensive (Brittany Ferries again)
The motorway over the border is tolled as far down as Bilbao, but then you have the choice of all the free motorways.
Use via Michelin to check costs.
Couple of maps here may help.
View attachment 26717

View attachment 26718

Edit: just noticed WGs post. The few times we have used the BIlbao ferry it hasn't stopped in France. Just gone straight over. Very rough last year, return crossing was cancelled.

Great information.
Looking at options for our return.
Might just go for the Dieppe option into Newhaven.
Maps also useful.
Mike

We did a motorbike trip one-way on the ferry down (direct from Portsmouth) for the Barcelona MotoGP & it was absolutely fine - I’d expected to be bored stiff & claustrophobic, but it flew by & a few beers may have helped. Nice to arrive relatively fresh & get off the boat with a good breakfast on-board & ready to roll.

I can see it being relaxing on the way back too after sleeping in the van for a while, but I’d agree that I’d only do one leg of the journey on the boat.

We’ve been searching tonight for a quick half-term break to ‘anywhere in Europe’ & working out where we can reasonably drive to/from, versus finding a cheapo flight.

2x off-peak Eurotunnels are £176 + an overnighter each way, plus Dartford, plus diesel - whilst 2x Ryanair flights to Bavaria are £38 each ... I love the van life, but sometimes it’s just not the best option.

We’ve been searching tonight for a quick half-term break to ‘anywhere in Europe’ & working out where we can reasonably drive to/from, versus finding a cheapo flight.

2x off-peak Eurotunnels are £176 + an overnighter each way, plus Dartford, plus diesel - whilst 2x Ryanair flights to Bavaria are £38 each ... I love the van life, but sometimes it’s just not the best option.
Ah yes, Ryanair, that pinnacle of customer service and reliability. Also you have to pay for your seats if you don’t want the random algorithm to split you up and if that extra pair of socks takes you over the weight limit.....

One of the reasons I am getting a campervan is that we have a dog and that makes it difficult to pick up and go last minute with flights because the kennels / dog sitters are booked up. I agree though, the cheap flight option is often going to be the best option for certain trips.

You need to chuck in the cost of airport parking + transport at the the other end to make the comparison a bit better. I would also take a bet that the £38 tickets don't include any hold luggage, sitting together etc

When we drive to spain with 6 of us, with the total cost of the journey comes to a lot less than the cost of hiring a six seater for a fortnight whilst we are there.

You need to chuck in the cost of airport parking + transport at the the other end to make the comparison a bit better. I would also take a bet that the £38 tickets don't include any hold luggage, sitting together etc

When we drive to spain with 6 of us, with the total cost of the journey comes to a lot less than the cost of hiring a six seater for a fortnight whilst we are there.

Our friends take us to the airport and he gets a bottle of duty free scorch as a thank you. We can't get six people in our Cali, however we are a 4 person family.

Hands-up to all of the above - no cabin bags, no seat reservations & the train to the airport will cost nearly as much as the flights. In no way a like-for-like comparison, but it is amazing value to get halfway down Europe for AND BACK for less than £40 each.

Just echoing @blakeley s comments from his pals. For my money (and I eagerly put forty-odd grand of it down & will happily do so again soon enough) sometimes the journey is the destination, but other times you just want to get there sharpish with three t-shirts & a toothbrush.

You can go as my guest on Brittany ferries, as I have club voyage membership, and get a 10% discount....that's £120 off ......you just need my surname and code
Name. Kettell
Code. F00gr7
It works on any Brittany ferries sailing.
If you go over a lot though , it's worth buying your own, as I get 30% off to France.
I think Brittany ferries advertise on this site, so I don't think I am breaking any forum rules.
My last trip, one way , from Bilbao , was 300, me and the van, including 10% off
In July
I like to drive down through France, slow and chilled. But the journey home I like to put my feet up on the boat ....and it would cost £300 to drive.

I prefer the drive.

Ferry cost us about £1300 return this year, we think driving, tolls, fuel and eurotunnel is about half the price.

The ferry is great you can sit back and have a drink and some food, watch a movie. But then you realise only 5 hours have passed and it’s still another 19hrs until you reach your destination. Not forgetting it’s 3 hrs to get on the boat and an hour and a half to get off.

Yeah, I much prefer the drive.
Yes 15 hours door to door is a slog, but it’s surprising how quick it goes by and you can stop if you wish wherever you fancy

For me its a lot about the journey, not necessarily the destination.

I prefer the drive.

Ferry cost us about £1300 return this year, we think driving, tolls, fuel and eurotunnel is about half the price.

The ferry is great you can sit back and have a drink and some food, watch a movie. But then you realise only 5 hours have passed and it’s still another 19hrs until you reach your destination. Not forgetting it’s 3 hrs to get on the boat and an hour and a half to get off.

Yeah, I much prefer the drive.
Yes 15 hours door to door is a slog, but it’s surprising how quick it goes by and you can stop if you wish wherever you fancy
Wow, that was an expensive ferry. I calculated about the same driving costs as you, just over £300 each way . You do need to book the ferry well in advance to get that sort of price

Wow, that was an expensive ferry. I calculated about the same driving costs as you, just over £300 each way . You do need to book the ferry well in advance to get that sort of price
July/August 2018 coming in at 1200-1300 for us at the moment (minus your discount, thanks). Weighing it up as the tunnel is a grand less. Obviously plus tolls, fuel, stopover etc.

We had the deluxe cabin which was a little more than the standard.
Then factor in dinner and drinks and the occasional Scooby snack etc. It really starts to add up.

Tesco vouchers for Eurotunnel gives us a free crossing in theory. Tolls, £80, 2 tanks of liquid gold one way. Done.