Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Broken drivers door hinge.

Surfbum100

Surfbum100

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Today my lower door hinge broke on my 2012 Beach. Has this happened to anyone else and was it easily resolved? The door works fine, but won't obviously 'stay' as that is the part that snapped off. It was badly corroded.IMG_20200926_153944.jpg

Mine's not broken, but the spring isn't that tight anymore.
If I open the door on an incline (sideways), the door won't stay open anymore. There is a massive play on each "step" of the hinge.
Just get a new hinge and you will be fine again.
By the looks of the remains of the hinge (green), your van gets to sleep outside too?

Yes he lives outside.
That's how mine started and when I went to have a look it had corroded and literally fell apart.

Should this happen to anyone else.
I managed to get it sorted at VW Tonbridge for £170. Painted and fitted.
Apparently they quoted for 30 mins labour, but it took over 1.5 hours, however they didn't pass the additional cost on to me.
My local VW approved bodyshop quoted £300 for that very reason.
Anyway. Sorted!

Spray some white lithium grease liberally over the hinge Mech and roller to prevent corrosion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spray some white lithium grease liberally over the hinge Mech and roller to prevent corrosion

Incidentally greasing the hinge is one of the main dealer service items listed in the service regime !

Incidentally greasing the hinge is one of the main dealer service items listed in the service regime !

Agree. Mine get done at every service.

Last 2 services they've been done & I've been given the remainder of a small aerosol of white grease.

Last 2 services they've been done & I've been given the remainder of a small aerosol of white grease.
Any chance you could post a picture of the can. Would like to know which brand to order. Thank you

Google white lithium grease

Any chance you could post a picture of the can. Would like to know which brand to order. Thank you
Im not at home at the moment but if I was buying I would get the stuff made by WD40 as it comes with a built in extra straw for getting the stuff in the right place.

1605707268064.png

Reactions: LCD