Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Broken locking nut key

Gez B

Gez B

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
just tried to change my wheel after a puncture second time I have used this after buying my new beach in January. No undue pressure put on it. And it just broke. See photo. Has this happened to anyone else and do you think the dealer should replace it? Also would it be covered by my warranty?

image.jpeg

I would expect it to be covered by warranty, faulty part how did you get the wheel off.

Oooooo good luck with that one!

My alloy got a puncture so the spare is on. It broke when I was trying to get the spare back off to put the alloy back on.

My alloy got a puncture so the spare is on. It broke when I was trying to get the spare back off to put the alloy back on.
Hi Gez B, try your local tyre fitters, they will usually have a universal lock nut- bolt remover. Good look

As others have said that should be covered by warranty. But this may be of use to others outside of warranty

I had the same thing happen to me a number of years ago on a different car. The key was a very similar looking design to the one above and made by McGard.

Replacement keys are available direct from them on their website:

http://shop.mcgard.de/customer-key/

If you don't have the required info, I didn't, you can contact them and they can identify the key from a photo, you'll also need to provide some form of ID too.

Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate you taking the time to try and help.I decided to phone the dealer I bought my van from and at first they said they would sell me a new set. I then told them I would be bringing the van back in the morning and I would like them refund me the whole cost of the van as it was not fit for purpose. I then received an email saying as a goodwill gesture they would order some new locking wheel nuts and would be in touch when they were in. I emailed them back and told them this was not good enough and as it was genuine VW part, and only two months old it should be covered by a warranty. I then received an email saying they had a new set in stock and could do it straight away. The moral of the story is sometimes being assertive and sticking to guns, you will get what you want with an apology. Or like I was a complete pain in the backside to them

Was checking my paper work for something else today and stumbled across the card with code for my locking wheel Nuts which I had not made a note of. I have now because of this thread.

Mike

Was checking my paper work for something else today and stumbled across the card with code for my locking wheel Nuts which I had not made a note of. I have now because of this thread.

Mike
VW have that info, related to your Reg Number and VIN.