Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Broken water tank key ... grrr

Pete M

Pete M

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Does anyone know if a replacement is available from the number etched on the key ( i cut the plastic off and found 89472 underneath)?

My local locksmith clamped both pieces in their cutting jig but gave up after 3 failed attempts and my local dealer was totally disinterested.

Just buy a new cap , belive the forumshop sells those.

Don't think this should be that difficult , some light force probally will help .
It's not that heavy duty made...there have been others doing this i belive , not me .
My keys survived so far as they are not on the keyring in my pocket but it sits on the Cali upper sunglass storage and only comes out when refilling/empying water .
The spare sits in a drawer at home.

Those caps are just secured by 3 plastic pins so should be easy forced out.

There's another thread running describing a way to drill the cap (not the lock) that may help.

There's another thread running describing a way to drill the cap (not the lock) that may help.
I did search before posting, is the post on here do you recall?

Thank you.

I did search before posting, is the post on here do you recall?

Thank you.
It was, only a few days ago. Hang here someone may find it. From memory is was titled stolen water keys

What did you do to get it of in the end...?

Exactly.
I'd have been more helpful if you weren't so rude in you first reply.
Just remember we have members from different countries and things can get lost in translation hotel california is not a rude person in fact he is very helpful. might of been easier just to answer instead of sending him round the houses

Just remember we have members from different countries and things can get lost in translation hotel california is not a rude person in fact he is very helpful. might of been easier just to answer instead of sending him round the houses
I fully understand that (and I have family and friends who English isn’t there first language) but it was only the post above and clearly not “around the houses” and It was a rude and abrupt reply.
Clearly I’m more than able to just purchase a new cap if that’s what was required, the same as I’m able to put one foot in front of the other which enables me to walk.

Many thanks for the heads up in understanding culture that isn’t indigenous to the country I happen to live in at the moment.

Kind regards

Pete.

I fully understand that (and I have family and friends who English isn’t there first language) but it was only the post above and clearly not “around the houses” and It was a rude and abrupt reply.
Clearly I’m more than able to just purchase a new cap if that’s what was required, the same as I’m able to put one foot in front of the other which enables me to walk.

Many thanks for the heads up in understanding culture that isn’t indigenous to the country I happen to live in at the moment.

Kind regards

Pete.
THANKS FOR THE SARCASTIC REPLY

Does anyone know if a replacement is available from the number etched on the key ( i cut the plastic off and found 89472 underneath)?

My local locksmith clamped both pieces in their cutting jig but gave up after 3 failed attempts and my local dealer was totally disinterested.
If you went to your dealer with the same attitude you have displayed here, it’s no wonder he was disinterested.

Cool down guys , in the end he needed a new cap as predicted :D

I recognise a sarcastic comment when i see one

Maybe better to merge the two watercap threads together and filter out the chit-chat ;)

Some don't. I have it all the time as I am quite sarcastic. Even people who know me for longer times, still feel awkward on my reactions or responses.
I just don't want to take the time to explain it then, and I just shut up.
It is just my sense of humour. But hard to understand by someone who doesn't get it.

Exactly.
I'd have been more helpful if you weren't so rude in you first reply.
Well I've read the whole thread & cant work out which of the suggestions you followed.

So how did you get the cap off?

Back