Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Broken wing mirror

Jim Haviland

Jim Haviland

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
DB2294A0-2E6B-4D49-8A55-3E5E362739A7.jpeg Unfortunately had a clash with a van in a tight country lane which resulted in a knock to my wing mirror.

Mirror is fine and it all moves as expected but the top and bottom parts of the casing require replacing.

The top piece seems to come off easily and assume the replacement will snap in easily enough. However the bottom casing appears to be screwed in - does anyone know how to remove this piece as I can only see the bottom part of the screw I.e. not the head.

If anyone has a diagram of how this goes together I would be grateful.

Jim

Same happened to me. I don't remember any screws. It all snaps apart and back together but it is very fiddly.

View attachment 40600 Unfortunately had a clash with a van in a tight country lane which resulted in a knock to my wing mirror.

Mirror is fine and it all moves as expected but the top and bottom parts of the casing require replacing.

The top piece seems to come off easily and assume the replacement will snap in easily enough. However the bottom casing appears to be screwed in - does anyone know how to remove this piece as I can only see the bottom part of the screw I.e. not the head.

If anyone has a diagram of how this goes together I would be grateful.

Jim
Exploded view of parts and Part Numbers.

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...857/subcategory/857040/part_id/3686403/lang/e

Thanks WelshGas - is this a DIY job or should I just put it through the insurance ?
Can be DIY. Insurance would probably just replace mirror. Replacement about £350+ and labour.

Can be DIY. Insurance would probably just replace mirror. Replacement about £350+ and labour.

Mirror is fine and everything else works - will give it a go and have plenty of time now I am retired.

I might be wrong but do they not come in any colour as long
as it´s black ?
I seem to remember having to get one sprayed up years ago.

I might be wrong but do they not come in any colour as long
as it´s black ?
I seem to remember having to get one sprayed up years ago.
Think you’re right or they come primed for spraying.

Oemepc is a great website but it’s very well reported that it’s corrupted with a Trojan virus and my laptop won’t let me go near it, so proceed with caution.
One up for Apple software.:thumb

Document here I downloaded for removal of entire mirror. Below are how the mirror fits together.

Attachments

• Wing_Mirror_Removal_T6F.pdf
    610.5 KB · Views: 75
I've recently replaced the wing mirror cap following a similar scrape. Cost was £170 at Liverpool Van centre this included colour match spray. Should have been a bit more, but still less than £200 because they missed out a new side assist sensor that was required when quoting, but nevertheless the quote was honoured.
I personally wouldn't mess about trying to do the repair yourself, particularly with a new van like yours.

I've recently replaced the wing mirror cap following a similar scrape. Cost was £170 at Liverpool Van centre this included colour match spray. Should have been a bit more, but still less than £200 because they missed out a new side assist sensor that was required when quoting, but nevertheless the quote was honoured.
I personally wouldn't mess about trying to do the repair yourself, particularly with a new van like yours.

Yes that’s a very good point - think your right, will get a quote on Monday.

I’ve put two together now from self inflicted damage to the actual metal hinge and it’s not fun, especially with DAB Ariel’s, the two parts are easy clip in bits but obviously the spraying of the top cover might be none DIY

I'd be inclined to save a few bob and do a DIY black spray job. They are so prone to damage, at least if they are a basic black they can easily be touched up next time!

If you do a search on here there is an excellent thread about mirrors. One member found a repaclacere part for a few quid if your mirror had come off the mounting bracket. Saves a few hundred quid.

Mirror is fine and everything else works - will give it a go and have plenty of time now I am retired.
This has happened to me twice on the same road, don’t go that way now!
It’s all fairly easy to fit. I bought the primed housing but had it professionally sprayed as you never get it quite right with a spray can
Incidentally, if you ever have to change the motor because of failure (they do!) VW use the same motor across the entire range of vehicles, I bought a used one off a Golf and it just the same

Quote from VW Basingstoke this morning £128 inc VAT.

Not as bad as I expected, this is is to replace top and bottom sections as everything else is fine.

Can do it while I wait on Wednesday.

Quote from VW Basingstoke this morning £128 inc VAT.

Not as bad as I expected, this is is to replace top and bottom sections as everything else is fine.

Can do it while I wait on Wednesday.
Sounds good. Is that sprayed?