Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brompton bikes..thoughts?

GillianC

GillianC

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I am thinking of buying a folding bike to take with me in Luis. I thought that it might be useful for trips to local villages/towns where cycling might be quicker than walking,
I'm not a particularly confident cyclist but quite fit.
I have seen Bromptons mentioned from time to time on these forums but would welcome any thoughts as they are quite pricey.
I think that one would fit under the back shelf in a bag and although it is heavy for me to lift it is possible.
Any thoughts or alternatives I should look at?

Hi
We have two "Terns" dont fold up as small as the Brompton, but for £350.00 a bit of a bargain,.

I bought a 2nd hand brompton at a reasenable price , don't use it much but bromptons are very smooth to ride compared to other folding bikes.
We don't take bikes when we travel in the Cali , as we always have our dog with us and do a lot of walking .
The plan is to get a 2nd brompton so we can take them if doing citytrips in the Cali.
Sure there wil be other cheaper folding bikes but i think a brompton fold down the easiest and the smallest and have the best ride ....

The Brompton is the best. Although they appear pricey they do do hold their price. Just look at second hand prices on EBay. It would be worth you having a test ride before buying as small wheel bikes do have a different feel to full size bikes.

The Brompton is the best compact folded bike by miles, very well thought out and lots of fun to ride.

Dahon now make a folding bike which is gearless, very robust, reasonably light and folds the same as a Brompton. It is about 600 squid. I was very impressed. We have electric bikes which are gobsmackingly (sorry) amazing but real rupture material when you try to lift them.

I've never been on one so can't comment, but I saw the Greg Wallace programme a couple of months ago about the factory where they are built. What a fantastic, friendly, old-fashioned, 'family-feel' company. I'd buy one just to support such a fantastic company ethos! Might I suggest something with a motor? I'm knocking on a bit and have MS, so my husband bought me a batribike a few years ago, and it's fab if it's windy or there's a big hill. Takes the sweat out of it!

I am thinking of buying a folding bike to take with me in Luis. I thought that it might be useful for trips to local villages/towns where cycling might be quicker than walking,
I'm not a particularly confident cyclist but quite fit.
I have seen Bromptons mentioned from time to time on these forums but would welcome any thoughts as they are quite pricey.
I think that one would fit under the back shelf in a bag and although it is heavy for me to lift it is possible.
Any thoughts or alternatives I should look at?

Hi GillianC I bought my Brompton from http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk on 0% finance as like you said they are pricey. I ordered mine with the rear rack and Shimano dynamo hub and lights.

Our Brompton lives in the van under the rear shelf. Best folding bike and handy for getting around
I have a Brompton, Clare has one on order. We will attach a Burley hitch to the Brompton so we can haul our two boys around in the trailer, the dogs can run alongside. The nice thing is that Bromptons can be stowed unfolded on the rack, folded up and stored in a luggage box on the rack, or put in the van folded or unfolded for security.

I hope that two Bromptons, a Burley trailer and possibly a couple of small children's bikes with rotated handles will fit inside one of these:
900000_oc_1_sized_640x420.jpg

There are folding bikes and there are Bromptons. the 2 do not compare.
There are campervans and there are Californias, the 2 do not compare.
It is a investment, thats the only disadvantage.

Have not got a Brompton but have used all sorts of bikes including recumbents, I would go with your dreams and the best one ... The Brompton , it does exactly what it's designed for and of course it's British made

Hi Gillian C
We have 2 Montague Paratrooper pros . Best folding bike . It's a full size bike . The problem with all other folding bikes is the small wheels which don't compare to 26 in . Montague make road bikes as well all folding . We use ours on our boat and Cali all the time . Thoroughly recommend . Brompton is probably the next best but not close .

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will do a bit of research and am going to visit my local cycle shop tomorrow. They have a 6 gear Brompton with Dynamo ex demo in snazzy red and white which they are selling for £200 under the list price. It has only been used by the shop owner and covered about 20 miles.
Need to ride it to make sure I am happy and also make sure I can put it up and down easily.

I have my eye on the A bike and new electric A bike. Folds super small easily transportable and the electric will give an extra boost. I saw it first on kickstarter. Very impressed but have not yet been on one.

Brompton bikes are excellent quality. They´re not only very compact as they fold, but they also provide excellent ride quality. There aren´t many folding bikes that can do both.
Quality has a price though, so a Brompton makes sense if you intend to use it regularly. If you are going to ride it a couple of times a year, then it´s probably not worth the investment.

As to the Brompton being the best folding bike, it certainly is one of the very best. But I´m not sure it´s better than a Birdy. Actually I don´t think it is.

Reactions: M36
Bought my Brompton second hand and yes I do think they are the best folding bike. As always you will get different thoughts from different people, I am over 6 feet tall and with the taller seat post I found it the best for my height.

As to the Brompton being the best folding bike, it certainly is one of the very best. But I´m not sure it´s better than a Birdy. Actually I don´t think it is.
Moulton has to be the most beautiful:
DoubleP_Lrg.jpg

But with a price tag of ~£15,000 it is off the scale of many budgets.

Moulton has to be the most beautiful:
DoubleP_Lrg.jpg

But with a price tag of ~£15,000 it is off the scale of many budgets.

Froomey needed one of those on the Ventoux just recent....

Well, Father Christmas is bringing me a smart ex demo Brompton with 6 gears, a carrying bag and a clip on shopping bag! It also has a dynamo and is very smart in red and white....very nice.
Thanks for all your help guys...