Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bungee Bellows Complacency

P

pgsup

VIP Member
Regarding the above,on lowering the roof last week ,the back bellows became jammed with the roof canvas at the reinforced back canvas join.I always check when lowering the roof and noticed the lefthand side of the roof had not completely lowered,Raised the roof straightaway,the canvas join had folded outwards instead of into the roof space,jamming in the bellows.On examining canvas roof etc no damage was done,I was extremely lucky !!!!!.On checking the bungee itself,it had become very SLACK,cut it shorter and retightened.
The message is simple,do not rely on the bungee and check it regularly,I felt in a state of shock when I saw the canvas jammed in the bellows,I have learnt my LESSON.
Thank you all
PGsup

Been there, done it, got the tear aid :D

A very good lesson learnt, bungee or not, no substitute for the Mk 1 eyeball.

Thanks for reply will be getting the tear aid.Never thought it could happen to me !!,but it DID.

Happened to me too. Over confident, taking the roof down during a blustery night. Easily done, especially when half asleep. Completely agree re the Mk 1 eyeball. Even better if you can have two!

Thanks GJ for the tear aid tip. Another thing to add to the survival kit :thumb

Thanks for reply will be getting the tear aid.Never thought it could happen to me !!,but it DID.

I was a veteran of over 100 raise and lowers when it happened to me.

Through storm, tempest, snow, hail, torrential rain and near tsunami's Albert and I emerged unscathed until one still, dry, warm, bright sunny morning, no need for external Mk1 eyeball, a quick peek through the hatch, all closed well.... until I went on my pre-departure walk round. Roof at a funny angle, small tear in the cloth and minor dent in the roof.

Tear aid, hardly anything noticeable, roof still works as good as it ever has done.

Make sure you have enough doors/windows open as well to allow the air pressure to escape.
The only time we have trapped the bellows (fortunately no damage to the bellows but did put a very small kink in the roof) was one night when the wind got up. We were sleeping upstairs and the van was rocking in the wind. As it was throwing it down with rain we only opened one window and I'm pretty sure that was what caused the problem.

It's pretty hard to see on the picture, but the canvas of our T6 beach, has been trapped (cough cough... by my husband within 36 hours of ownership) in the securing clip! We have a 3 nice lines of holes, 6 in total, where the fabric was concertinaed - is tear aid the best thing for this? The actual hole that has gone through to daylight is approx 0.5cm dia
Thank you

IMG_3805.JPG

It's pretty hard to see on the picture, but the canvas of our T6 beach, has been trapped (cough cough... by my husband within 36 hours of ownership) in the securing clip! We have a 3 nice lines of holes, 6 in total, where the fabric was concertinaed - is tear aid the best thing for this? The actual hole that has gone through to daylight is approx 0.5cm dia
Thank you

View attachment 20002
Tear Aid - Yes. It happens I'm afraid. A Bungee is only an Aid to reduce the risk.
I believe Tear Aid is available in the Forum Shop. Mind you, if you are handy with a needle and thread, and a co-operative helper then a little darning may do a less obvious repair in this instance.

Same damage as what we have, i suspect you also have a crease in the roof aswell as when the fabric gets stuck it slightly buckles the roof. We used tear aid on ours to get it waterproof again, i think we purchased it from the forum shop.

Sounds like a job for my mum :thumb where it hasn't gone through to daylight, ie the other "hole" in the pic, would you worry about doing anything there @WelshGas

Oh really @Andyclockwise does a buckle in the roof cause the fabric to get stuck, or does the fabric getting stuck cause the buckle?

The cautionary tale being: don't let your husband do anything without keeping a watchful eye on him :punch

Oh really @Andyclockwise does a buckle in the roof cause the fabric to get stuck, or does the fabric getting stuck cause the buckle?

The crease in the roof is a result of the fabric being jammed. It's a bit like a veteran's card that says "been there, done it" etc.

I would love Albert to still be in factory showroom condition but the only way that could be achieved is by keeping him in the showroom and I love him to much to be parted that way ❤️

Thank you

View attachment 20002
My original (pre roof repair) canvas had similar small holes caused by the fabric getting caught in the securing clip. It wont have kinked the roof though as that's caused by a different mechanism. This is one danger (Beach only) where the bungee wont help and might make it more difficult to neatly fold the canvas out of the way of the clip before attaching and doing the final cam lock.Part of my roof lowering routine is to fold all the canvas behind the clip before locating and locking it down.
Tear aid is good stuff, does the new T6 fabric need a different version to the T5 canvas one?

Bungee cord does loose its elasticity over time and therefore not a fit and forget part.

Useful information to implant into my grey matter that the Bungee is a closing aid and not a replacement for visual checks.

Trailer cover bungees usually last 2-3 years before being replaced. Cali one may last longer as under cover and not under tension most of the year.

Sounds like a job for my mum :thumb where it hasn't gone through to daylight, i.e. the other "hole" in the pic, would you worry about doing anything there @WelshGas
Probably a couple of stitches.

We always put the roof down with two pairs of eyes. Looking at getting a bungee to try gain a bit more "control" in windy conditions.

My original (pre roof repair) canvas had similar small holes caused by the fabric getting caught in the securing clip. It wont have kinked the roof though as that's caused by a different mechanism. This is one danger (Beach only) where the bungee wont help and might make it more difficult to neatly fold the canvas out of the way of the clip before attaching and doing the final cam lock.

Do you mean like this? See picture - there is tough thick black webbing that I place in front of all the material...

IMG_4803.JPG

Yes exactly like that :thumb

Great thank you ! I've done it again tonight and I actually find that clip quite hard to do so I'm wondering if something isn't in line.... a trip to VW needed