Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying a 4motion

It's personal preference. For me, there is one particular junction where I have to turn right. Visibility is poor and invariably traffic appears as soon as I commit to pulling out, necessitating foot to floor. In our previous 2wd Cali this was accompanied by dramatic tramping and wheel spin; whereas in our current one there is no drama at all.

For me this is enough reason. It's not hard to spin the front wheels in the damp on a Cali.

There are other reasons I my preference is the 4Motion but I have already documented these in previous posts.

My view I have owned both and this recently heavy snow in Wales 4 motion was absolutely amazing didn’t struggle on any hills and we have a few.
They use the same system as Audi which is tried and tested you only have to look on utube.
It also is true if you are experienced in driving on snow. Yes more to run but that’s the same with any 4x4.
Personal preference that’s your choice when deciding on owning a California.

On that basis you would never get out of bed
Beds are dangerous. Despite the fact that we only spend about a third of our lives in bed, 97% percent of people end their lives in a bed.

Please also take note that 87.5% of statistics are made up on the spot to make a point. :)

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

You have missed the point. 4WD gives makes people think they have the kit to deal with snow, mud, wet grass, sand etc so they go for it, usually grossly overestimating the ability of the vehicle and their skill and end up getting stuck. There is always an alternative route or approach other than just piling in wheels spinning. I lived in Australia and have seen so many 4WD's stuck in sand whilst 2WD cars just drive around them. I have also worked in roads policing in the UK and seen three 4WD's in country lanes that have been great uphill but acted like 2 ton sledges downhill with the obvious result at the bottom. There is a great video on youtube of a 4wd car v's a 2wd car with snow tyres it is called "winter tyres or 4x4: which is best". It is a very enlightening video and worth a watch.

I can understand you having issues with hiring them out and would agree there are plenty of plonkers out there. It doesn’t mean though that the vehicle is less capable in the hands of the right driver.

I think you’ll find it accepted on here that tyres are the key. Been done to death and agreed upon. Right tyres first.

Mike

Your profile shows a 4motion so I guess you'll be getting rid of it then.:)
Perhaps you could contact the OP who started this thread who is desparate to buy one.

I can understand you having issues with hiring them out and would agree there are plenty of plonkers out there. It doesn’t mean though that the vehicle is less capable in the hands of the right driver.

I think you’ll find it accepted on here that tyres are the key. Been done to death and agreed upon. Right tyres first.

Mike
Its a shame the 4WD and the Autos don't come with a "bad weather button" I have had
Your profile shows a 4motion so I guess you'll be getting rid of it then.:)
Perhaps you could contact the OP who started this thread who is desparate to buy one.
We keep a range of 150/205hp 2WD and 4WD all sorts of colours, helps with the mostly try before you buy customers and the resale is easier with an assortment. Everybody wants to hire the 4WD 205hp vans but in reality of day to day driving they are all the same except for fuel consumption and you would be hard pressed to tell what you were driving, except manual or DSG!!

Beds are dangerous. Despite the fact that we only spend about a third of our lives in bed, 97% percent of people end their lives in a bed.

Please also take note that 87.5% of statistics are made up on the spot to make a point. :)

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Wow, that's shocking.
I'm never, ever going to go to bed again.
Perhaps I'll live forever.

Yes I agree with day to day average drivers.
The 4wd system is amazing if used correctly and as said I didn’t struggling going down very steep decents. The problem is in southern UK very little snow seen for years and people just think because they have 4wd just crack on as normal. Watching idiots outside our house late at night showing off in various 4wds indicates they have no experience.

Wow, that's shocking.
I'm never, ever going to go to bed again.
Perhaps I'll live forever.
May be safer in a 4Poster bed? :D

Hi everybody, first post here. I currently own 6 VW Californias of varying spec combinations and have previously sold 2 (I hire them out). I really think the 4motion is a waste of time. Unless you have off road or snow tyres you are only marginally better off than a 2WD. I fact I have a theory that you are less likely to get stuck with a 2WD as you won't go where it is slippery. (fewer non swimmers drown as they don't go in the water and get in to trouble!) 4motion is uneconomical and I simply don't think they are as good to drive. I backed in to a little paddock next to my drive, slowly and carefully but all four wheels spun immediately on the wet grass. It is clearly made for on road performance and not off road.
Wow, first post. Great way to introduce yourself.