Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying a LHD cali from www.mycalifornia.eu

Monica

Monica

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi. We recently bought a new LHD California Beach from mycalifornia.eu in Naarden (NL). They placed an order for us, built to the specs we requested. Price was very competitive. Order to delivery took just 14 weeks. They were brilliant and made the process look easy. With the paperwork supplied we imported it and registered with DVLA quite easily.
To anyone looking to buy a new LHD cali I can thoroughly recommend these guys and I am more than happy to answer any question about the process.
Have a good weekend!
Monica

Interesting. We do more distance abroad than the UK so a LHD would be fine if we get another Cali.
Did it come with rhd headlights/rear fog light and speedo in mph or did have to get them changed to register it here.
Any problems with insurance?

Hi
We ordered with LED lights which you can use in "travel mode" form the MFD to switch the beam dipping direction. LED lights option includes bilateral real fog lights. It came with MDF plus so display showed MPH but this can be done with the carista dongle as well.
The day after we brought it to the UK we took it to a garage (I had appointment arranged already) so they could certify in a letter that they had seen these 3 things (I prepared the the letter in advance). I had to sent this letter together with an application and a £100 to the vehicle agency and once they processed we got the sent back a certificate of mutual recognition.
Insurance was not a problem. Mycalifornia.eu gave us insurance until the van was UK registered. Once we had a reg number we insured with LV.
Regards
Monica

Hi @Monica , thank you for your post. We are also thinking ordering a Cali from mycalifornia.eu.
Just a quick question concerning the LED lights, is it really necessary to register your LHD vehicle in UK? or is it just for extra comfort?

Hi @Monica , thank you for your post. We are also thinking ordering a Cali from mycalifornia.eu.
Just a quick question concerning the LED lights, is it really necessary to register your LHD vehicle in UK? or is it just for extra comfort?

It is not necessary but if you don't then you need to replace the lights in order to comply with UK specs which it is more hassle, still a expense and you end up with inferior lights.
For us it was an easy choice as we now live in the Netherlands and we had to go through the process of making the lights "country compliant" twice, therefore we didn't look into the option of replacing standard lights and I have no idea how much it would cost.

That’s quite a gutsy move. Resale value will surely take a hit if sold in the UK.

I’m fully on board with the LHD advantage etc but it’s a niche market?

Thank you Monica for your quick answer!

@sidepod My partner and I are non-british, we will use the van once or twice a year to go to France and Spain to visit our family. And maybe in 5 or 10 years we will move to France and Spain. So we think a LHD would be definitely better for us! In addition mycalifornia.eu appears to be a great place to customize your van as you want.

L

Thank you Monica for your quick answer!

@sidepod My partner and I are non-british, we will use the van once or twice a year to go to France and Spain to visit our family. And maybe in 5 or 10 years we will move to France and Spain. So we think a LHD would be definitely better for us! In addition mycalifornia.eu appears to be a great place to customize your van as you want.

L
No problem. That was exactly our situation (Dutch/Spanish). Good luck with your plan. Any questions, just ask (or private message)!

No problem. That was exactly our situation (Dutch/Spanish). Good luck with your plan. Any questions, just ask (or private message)!

Thanks very much Monica!
I also read about the offside fog light. Did you have to do something to it?

I cannot send private message yet. Can you drop me an email to temp1@lhoupert.fr so I have your email address? Thanks!

Loic

Do you know what the price of the same specification RHD drive California bought in the UK would be?
Did you inquire if you could order a LHD California in the UK?

Do you know what the price of the same specification RHD drive California bought in the UK would be?
Did you inquire if you could order a LHD California in the UK?

It is hard to know as I didnt request exactly the same configuration as the standard UK one (they have a much bigger choice of configuration). But I think you can easily save a few thousand pounds, even after paying the import tax and with a relatively bad UK/GBP exchange rate. You should go on their website and use their online configurator, they should send you a quote a few days later.

Ioic2000,thanks for your reply.
I asked the questions because I have previously bought RHD cars in Belgium and imported them back into the UK making a considerable saving. Most of which as you have highlighted depends on the pound-euro exchange rate.
This option of purchase was relatively easy with the UK being in the EU. I don't think importation is going to be be that easy, or ever viable come Jan 1st 2021, and 10% WTO Tax probably !!!

Ioic2000,thanks for your reply.
I asked the questions because I have previously bought RHD cars in Belgium and imported them back into the UK making a considerable saving. Most of which as you have highlighted depends on the pound-euro exchange rate.
This option of purchase was relatively easy with the UK being in the EU. I don't think importation is going to be be that easy, or ever viable come Jan 1st 2021, and 10% WTO Tax probably !!!

Oh thank you for mentioning that! I didn't know about this extra post-brexit tax!

Just for reference, the price I got from them for a "naked" Cost 110kw/150HP was 43kE (before the 20% tax which has to be paid in UK) then we added a few thousand euros of extra options we would like to have (e.g. parking heater, digital cockpit, etc...).

Back