Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying a new Cali

John Noble

John Noble

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi,

I am new to forum and looking to buy a new or nearly new Cali. Does anyone know why VW have stopped registering new Californias with DVLA? According to the dealer we visited yesterday, they will restart in April. Is it to do with the crazy new tax rules?

John

Until VW Germany updates its dealers they are in the dark also. As for emissions failures my information is it applies to all makes not just VW. Good luck.

Hi,

I am new to forum and looking to buy a new or nearly new Cali. Does anyone know why VW have stopped registering new Californias with DVLA? According to the dealer we visited yesterday, they will restart in April. Is it to do with the crazy new tax rules?

John
Get the TSI John ... ;-)

Get the TSI John ... ;-)
I have thought very seriously about the TSI. Indeed, it would be my preference. However, every dealer has discouraged me. One claimed that VW had only sold two TSI models for the whole of the UK. Who do you believe?

I have thought very seriously about the TSI. Indeed, it would be my preference. However, every dealer has discouraged me. One claimed that VW had only sold two TSI models for the whole of the UK. Who do you believe?
Interesting that they don’t support their own options ;-).... I’ve been really pleased so far with the TSI, so happy with the choice so far. I know when I bought ours it was the second one on order and I know of another as well... so that’s 3... but that was end of last year.

Can I ask what drove you to choose the TSI? I just feel that the rest of the automotive industry is heading to petrol and/or electric and that vans will follow.

Welcome John!

I carefully considered the TSI, in fact that’s what I ordered originally. I think the environmental benefits of either are less than clear. There is a lot of negative rhetoric around diesel at the moment, most of the articles in the press refer to older diesels but often don’t make that clear...

In the end, my van (when it eventually arrives) will be my everyday car, I drive a minimum of 60 miles a day so I decided that I’d take the fuel savings and go for the 204 biTDI. If it was only for occasional use & holidays then I would probably have stuck with the petrol (204).

I.e. no right or wrong answer, just what works for you, don’t get me started on vw’s handling of this latest issue though.....

I have ordered a TSI 204 DSG here in Denmark. I chose the TSI for a number of reasons:
1: There is a lot of diesel bashing (some unfair, but never the less), leading to ban on diesels in some areas. Last year Oslo had a short term diesel ban the week before I was going there in my diesel. So I hope to move everywhere for a longer time in a petrol.
2: My use of the car. I will use it as my only car. In everyday use I only go shorter distances 5 - 20 km and then longer a few times a month. According to the danish motoring organisation (FDM) the short trips would lead to a build up of soot in the TDI engine giving problems with EGR valve and other parts of the cleaning system. This fits with my experience in my current car with 1.6 HDI engine.

But fuel consumption is higher for the TSI and that puts a lot of people of. But I have not heard of anyone with a problem with the current version of the TSI. Older version could apparently have excessive oil consumption according to FDM, but that should be fixed on the new models.

Last edited:
I also have TSi 204 DSG. I'm very happy with it. My day to day driving is very short journeys, so made sense for me.

Not sure I believe that.

Just prefer petrol engines john. We live in south London, so a lot of shortish trips. Currently getting around 25 mpg in total over the 1500 miles, so expect a better number when we head to France in the summer. The power is ample 204. Only down side was not being able to spec the 4motion. Everything else is the same and loving it.

. But I have not heard of anyone with a problem with the current version of the TSI.

With only two sold thats not really surprising

Welcome John!

I carefully considered the TSI, in fact that’s what I ordered originally. I think the environmental benefits of either are less than clear. There is a lot of negative rhetoric around diesel at the moment, most of the articles in the press refer to older diesels but often don’t make that clear...

In the end, my van (when it eventually arrives) will be my everyday car, I drive a minimum of 60 miles a day so I decided that I’d take the fuel savings and go for the 204 biTDI. If it was only for occasional use & holidays then I would probably have stuck with the petrol (204).

I.e. no right or wrong answer, just what works for you, don’t get me started on vw’s handling of this latest issue though.....
Really helpful - thank you. I agree that there is a lot of misinformation out there and VW are not making it any better.

Just prefer petrol engines john. We live in south London, so a lot of shortish trips. Currently getting around 25 mpg in total over the 1500 miles, so expect a better number when we head to France in the summer. The power is ample 204. Only down side was not being able to spec the 4motion. Everything else is the same and loving it.

Hi There, does the lack of the independent diesel heater in the TSi not limit the use during the colder mpnths?

Hi There, does the lack of the independent diesel heater in the TSi not limit the use during the colder mpnths?
It has the equivalent Petrol version.

There is an update on that thread suggesting from VWCS that mid feb should be when the block lifts and early March should be when they start to be delivered again.

I was told by wooburn green Citygate they had a TSI that they couldn't register so seems petrols and derv are affected