Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying a T6 Ocean: Roof question

J

João Valente

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hey!

I'm in the process of buying new VW California and I have to decide between an Ocean and a Coast. I was very inclined to go with the Ocean if it wasn't for the electric roof and the possibility of it failing. I told this to my dealer and he told me that I should fo for the automatic roof in the Ocean because, even in the event of failure it had a manual fallback mechanism. I haven't seen this anywhere. Is it true?

Thank you :)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Hey!

I'm in the process of buying new VW California and I have to decide between an Ocean and a Coast. I was very inclined to go with the Ocean if it wasn't for the electric roof and the possibility of it failing. I told this to my dealer and he told me that I should fo for the automatic roof in the Ocean because, even in the event of failure it had a manual fallback mechanism. I haven't seen this anywhere. Is it true?

Thank you :)

Yes, it’s true

Yes, it’s true
how does it work? is it very complicated to get around or a bit like the manual system present on the beach?

how does it work? is it very complicated to get around or a bit like the manual system present on the beach?

I’ve never done it, or even thought about it.

The instructions are in the user manual.

Not sure why you are so concerned about this, I haven’t heard of many or even any roof failures as far as I remember.

I’ve never done it, or even thought about it.

The instructions are in the user manual.

Not sure why you are so concerned about this, I haven’t heard of many or even any roof failures as far as I remember.
I've been lurking this forum a lot before buying my van and the /T5 and T6 Specific Sections/Elevating Roof part of the forum scared me a bit. Wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be stuck with the roof open in the middle of nowhere :)

I've been lurking this forum a lot before buying my van and the /T5 and T6 Specific Sections/Elevating Roof part of the forum scared me a bit. Wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be stuck with the roof open in the middle of nowhere :)

I think they were mostly talking about a different issue with paint?

I wouldn’t worry about it, you will love whichever one you go for :)

I think they were mostly talking about a different issue with paint?

I wouldn’t worry about it, you will love whichever one you go for :)
Topics like this were the one I was a bit worried about:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=26901&share_fid=34937&share_type=t

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=20195&share_fid=34937&share_type=t

But I'll stop worrying and just go for it. I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun anyways!

There's an emergency roof lowering procedure, for which you have to remove the control panel, and then make sure you have the tie-down kit to travel to a dealer. But there is no emergency elevating procedure...

As someone who had to do this a few months back, is it a bit scary but there a pretty good guide on one of the threads.

Personally i'd recommend owner running through the procedure at home before it catches them out.

Out of interest as your not in the uk, is it worth seeing if you dealer can get the 'Coast' model? Basically the ocean with manual roof.

To be clear, as advised above, there is an awkward way to lower the roof it it fails when 'up', and a weird velcro kit to tie it down while you drive home slowly, but this is far from a 'manual override' kit the dealer may have been hinting it. It's not like the 'switch doors to manual' you hear on the aeroplane.

There's an emergency roof lowering procedure, for which you have to remove the control panel, and then make sure you have the tie-down kit to travel to a dealer. But there is no emergency elevating procedure...

This is what I feared.

As someone who had to do this a few months back, is it a bit scary but there a pretty good guide on one of the threads.

Personally i'd recommend owner running through the procedure at home before it catches them out.

Out of interest as your not in the uk, is it worth seeing if you dealer can get the 'Coast' model? Basically the ocean with manual roof.

I'm trying to choose between a more equipped Coast and the Ocean, and the electric roof was one of the setbacks for the Ocean. I'm more inclined to go with the Coast now.

You'll find quite a few on here (in the UK) who would like the manual roof option on an Ocean.

As above, if it fails (and they do, not often but for some) then you can get it down but down it stays until you visit a VW dealer and he takes goodness knows how long to sort it and if out of warranty he very likely takes a very large number of your Euros.

A bit of a downer to say the least if you're on your summer hols/weekend break/trip of a lifetime etc.

That's why many would like the manual roof if they could have it!

If you are thinking of keeping it when the warrenty runs out I would buy a Coast less to go wrong , Hydraulics Etc, If your quick you could order California 30 Years, limited to 999 , It is based on the Coast but comes with extras and it has the Manual roof. Try out both pop tops in a showroom then make up your mind.

Not sure if the risk is that big though... its not like other things such as the EGR etc dont fail..... The electric roof can also suffer from hydraulic issues, but against that is convenience. I could be persuaded either way.... might be a negotiating option to see which gets a bigger discount.... If from new get the 5 year warranty extension and relax...

If you are thinking of keeping it when the warrenty runs out I would buy a Coast less to go wrong , Hydraulics Etc, If your quick you could order California 30 Years, limited to 999 , It is based on the Coast but comes with extras and it has the Manual roof. Try out both pop tops in a showroom then make up your mind.
I don't think my dealer offers the 30 years though. I'm gonna send them an email to confirm.
Not a lot of vans available in showrooms here :/ (Portugal)

I saw this van in the catalogue. Is this the California 30 years edition or just a special edition? It doesn't really mention "30" anywhere.
a77d27c9e12e5fe96237e8fa9bbebfc1.jpg

I'm trying to choose between a more equipped Coast and the Ocean, and the electric roof was one of the setbacks for the Ocean. I'm more inclined to go with the Coast now.
A Coast is the one to go for.
I don´t think that a manual roof could ever fail.
Whereas the electric roof can cause a few problems, years
down the line.

I don´t think that a manual roof could ever fail.
Manual roofs can fail.... Springs can break, catches can too, and can go out of adjustment. You can still get stuck on site BUT, you can have a go with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver to get you going again, and any number of people could have a go at executing a proper repair when you are home.
The problem with the SE / Ocean roof (which I have) is its a case of 'computer says no' so you are off to the vw dealership and taking pot luck with finding someone who will correctly diagnose the fault and therefore replace the minimum number of expensive parts.
There are a couple of 'converters' around the country who strip roofs off damaged Cali's and fit them to panel vans. If my roof breaks out of warranty it will be to those guys I'll be heading, as I suspect they know far more about the role each component plays. Plus their labour charges will be 1/3rd of vw.

If they sold the Coast in the UK. I would be down my dealership ordering one tomorrow.
Regards
Ocean owner...

99% of the SE / Ocean owners never ever need to lower the roof by emergencyprocedure ....thats why it's called emergencyprocedure.
Still if i would be buying a T6 now (witch i don't ) i get myself a Coast ;)