Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying advice 2011 T5 180bhp

C

Carlbom

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all,

Thank you all for a great forum. I have done a lot of reading but this is my first post here. Hopefully not my last, though, as I’m looking to buy a Cali in the near future. In fact I have a particular specimen that I would like to hear your opinion on.

It’s a 2011 T5 180bhp with DSG and 4-motion. 100,000 miles with engine block replacement 40000 miles ago (in 2014) because of excessive oil consumption according to the dealer. That was also the last cam belt change. Roof corrosion fixed with some kind of part replacement in 2014 or 15. Full service done recently with all oiles (DSG, 4-mo, diff). Full service history. One owner. I have quite a long way to the dealer (1000 miles one way) so trying to gather as much information as I can beforehand.

-Is the known oil consumption issues with this engine cured with the engine block replacement in 2014?

-The dealer says that next cam belt change is due when the van has a total of 140,000 miles but isn’t there also a 4 year interval limit? Whichever comes first, right?

-What is the likelihood of roof corrosion coming back after the repair done in -14 or -15?

-What is a fair price for the above presumed van?

-Am I better off spending more money getting a slightly newer van with fewer miles? I.e. spending another 8-10k getting like a 2014 van with 50000 miles or shouldn’t I be so concerned with age/mileage? Subjective question I know but whats YOUR opinion? Planning on driving 5-8k miles per year and hopefully owning for several years.

-Other things I should be concerned with?

I would really appreciate your input!

Best,
Carl

Last edited:
The van is in the the 'hot' zone for oil consumption problems (2010/11 in particular).

Both mileages quoted are SO low, it's hard to believe they are correct. You seem to be saying the block failed at just 10K (km I guess) and has only done 4k in the last 4 years?? Welshgas (member here) will be here soon to talk about problems from vans not being used enough.

For completeness I'd be wanting to know the history of the EGR valve ....if it was replaced with the block or subsequently, and what 'suffix' it has.

I don't think many here in UK can help with prices, as the markets / taxations are so different.

Cambelt timing is slightly up for debate but the dealer appears to be talking rubbish. It always used to be dictated by mileage, but time constraints (4 years) have crept in. It certainly should have been done by now on a 2011 van (perhaps it was done with the block?)

The van is in the the 'hot' zone for oil consumption problems (2010/11 in particular).

Both mileages quoted are SO low, it's hard to believe they are correct. You seem to be saying the block failed at just 10K (km I guess) and has only done 4k in the last 4 years?? Welshgas (member here) will be here soon to talk about problems from vans not being used enough.

For completeness I'd be wanting to know the history of the EGR valve ....if it was replaced with the block or subsequently, and what 'suffix' it has.

I don't think many here in UK can help with prices, as the markets / taxations are so different.

Cambelt timing is slightly up for debate but the dealer appears to be talking rubbish. It always used to be dictated by mileage, but time constraints (4 years) have crept in. It certainly should have been done by now on a 2011 van (perhaps it was done with the block?)

Sorry, one zero missing. It’s 100,000 miles in total. Corrected in original post.

Ok, so should also check if EGR has been changed. Cam belt was changed with engine block replacement in 2014.

Is it really 1000 miles to your nearest dealer. Wow.
Or is that one zero to many.

Is it really 1000 miles to your nearest dealer. Wow.
Or is that one zero to many.
Hehe, no thats accurate. Not to my nearest dealer but to this particular dealer. Not many Californias come up for second hand market where I live so I have to look abroad to find objects.

Hi all,

Thank you all for a great forum. I have done a lot of reading but this is my first post here. Hopefully not my last, though, as I’m looking to buy a Cali in the near future. In fact I have a particular specimen that I would like to hear your opinion on.

It’s a 2011 T5 180bhp with DSG and 4-motion. 100,000 miles with engine block replacement 40000 miles ago (in 2014) because of excessive oil consumption according to the dealer. That was also the last cam belt change. Roof corrosion fixed with some kind of part replacement in 2014 or 15. Full service done recently with all oiles (DSG, 4-mo, diff). Full service history. One owner. I have quite a long way to the dealer (1000 miles one way) so trying to gather as much information as I can beforehand.

-Is the known oil consumption issues with this engine cured with the engine block replacement in 2014?

-The dealer says that next cam belt change is due when the van has a total of 140,000 miles but isn’t there also a 4 year interval limit? Whichever comes first, right?

-What is the likelihood of roof corrosion coming back after the repair done in -14 or -15?

-What is a fair price for the above presumed van?

-Am I better off spending more money getting a slightly newer van with fewer miles? I.e. spending another 8-10k getting like a 2014 van with 50000 miles or shouldn’t I be so concerned with age/mileage? Subjective question I know but whats YOUR opinion? Planning on driving 5-8k miles per year and hopefully owning for several years.

-Other things I should be concerned with?

I would really appreciate your input!

Best,
Carl
Welcome Carl.
If you are looking for definitive answers then I’m afraid you are unlikely to get them as no one really knows.
1. Engine. Th3 2010/2011 CFCA 180 engines had a problem that was subsequently fixed according to VW. Repair was an engine replacement. I cannot see VW using a faulty engine as a replacement.
2. There is a Facebook group that theorise it was the EGR valve not the engine that was at fault. There is no Class 1 evidence to support this.
3. In the UK the Cambelt and Water Pump change is at 80,000 miles or 4 years, or multiples thereafter.
I believe this can vary in other countries. I would check with another VW Dealer what the requirements are in Norway.
4. I’m afraid I can’t help regarding a valuation.

Remember if you are asking these questions regarding the engine etc: so will any prospective buyers when you come to sell, unless you plan on keeping it for many many years.

I have a 2010 bus and I looked for years for her. I started my search looking for a T25 then progressed to a T4 and finally started to search for a T5.

After much uncertain research, I decided to avoid the 180ps and settled for a 140ps. It's out of the highlighted danger zone and it's a great engine.

Good luck in your search!

If you are only paying the average price for the year/mileage then it’s a good deal. The new engine will have a new EGR valve as all the evidence is that this is the cause for premature engine failure. I doubt if even VW is so stupid to transplant the cause of engine failure (that they are fully aware of ) to a new engine.

At the end of the day it is about the risk. If you bought the same van with original engine the risk IMO would be higher than one with a new engine. Get it checked out and go for it if it has all that you want.

If it was me I'd be happy that the engine was replaced and the roof corrosion fixed. Tell the dealer to check the time limits on the cam belt and either negotiate a discount so you can have it replaced or get them to replace it. If it is already a bargain price, just get the cam belt changed yourself for peace of mind.

As @WelshGas says, there are various theories about the cause of high oil consumption and a 180bhp vehicle of that age is a high risk of needing a new engine. This particular vehicle has a new engine, so don't worry about it, it will be no different to a 2014-> example.

Also, on the mileage, the base van is designed to be well used. I wouldn't worry about 100K miles. In fact, I'd probably be more worried if it was 10K miles at the same age.

Back