Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying Advice

cgw

cgw

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi, looking to buy my first camper van &looking for advice really?
Want to be able to fit a lambretta scooter in the back from time to time,so any advice is welcome :)

Hi, looking to buy my first camper van &looking for advice really?
Want to be able to fit a lambretta scooter in the back from time to time,so any advice is welcome :)
:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome

A little more information would be helpful.
Do you want a vehicle with built in kitchen or not?
Are you planning on camping while you have the Scooter with you?
Height, length and width of the Scooter?
How do you intend to get the Scooter into the vehicle?
How many passengers will you be carrying when you have the Scooter on board?

IMG_0372.JPG

Welcome and hate to state the 'bleedin obvious' but you won't be fitting one of those in the back of a Cali! ;)

Sprinter size maybe with a custom conversion or else a large motor home with the usual under fixed bed 'garage'.

Welcome , fitting a scooter in a SE/Ocean would involve rear bench removal .
A beach has diffrent seat set ups and maybe a better option there?

Welcome and hate to state the 'bleedin obvious' but you won't be fitting one of those in the back of a Cali! ;)

Sprinter size maybe with a custom conversion or else a large motor home with the usual under fixed bed 'garage'.
You can actually - well going by these measurements. You would have to remove the bench seat.

IMG_0374.jpg

Get a tow bar and a heavyweight bracket - hang the scooter off the back

You can actually - well going by these measurements. You would have to remove the bench seat.

View attachment 24018

Well, yes but that's not exactly practical! ;) - taking out the blooming great bench seat to stick it goodness knows where at home and then being left with an empty van once the Lambretta is disgorged. Why not just get a van and a tent or stick the scooter on a trailer or buy a proper bike! ;) ;)

Well, yes but that's not exactly practical! ;) - taking out the blooming great bench seat to stick it goodness knows where at home and then being left with an empty van once the Lambretta is disgorged. Why not just get a van and a tent or stick the scooter on a trailer or buy a proper bike! ;) ;)
True, but we don't know yet whether he wants a Campervan, that occasionally, he wants to use to transport his " vintage " scooter to some Concourse event without camping and he might be then willing to remove the bench seat to do this.
Obviously, if he wants to carry the scooter inside and camp at the same time then that is going to be well nigh impossible on a SWB chassis.:thumb

:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome

A little more information would be helpful.
Do you want a vehicle with built in kitchen or not?
Are you planning on camping while you have the Scooter with you?
Height, length and width of the Scooter?
How do you intend to get the Scooter into the vehicle?
How many passengers will you be carrying when you have the Scooter on board?

View attachment 24017
Not too concerned about a kitchen, looking to put the scooter in via rear door.
Gores into a normal T5 no problems, length is 1.8m witch 68cm & height 1m
Only 2 people max when transporting scooter, need to know if i go for the rear 2 seat option if they can be removed when in transit & then out back to support the bed?

This would normally only be in the event of a breakdown, or some foreign travel
With the rear seat in and slid forward, the front stop having been removed, then the distance from rear of seat to tailgate is 1.65m.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/rear-space-dimensions.19710/#post-225281
The rear seat can be removed from the vehicle but that is a 2 person job.

So, it would appear you will only be able to fit the Scooter in if the rear seat/bed is removed from the vehicle and left behind.

I had a scooter (Yamaha Aerox) in the back of my Caravelle with the seats out. What is the gap between the two seat bench in the beach and the side of the van? Anybody?

I had a scooter (Yamaha Aerox) in the back of my Caravelle with the seats out. What is the gap between the two seat bench in the beach and the side of the van? Anybody?
I don't have a Beach, but looking at the Layout Plan below and the fact that the 3 seat Beach Bed is 1.5 m wide, then I would suggest the gap is about 0.5 m wide.

IMG_0375.jpg

Thanks WG I suspected you might be the one to respond. I was thinking maybe the OP could fit the scooter in that gap. Perhaps not.

@WelshGas you're going to have to change your name to The Oracle or Google :D

From endless brai
I don't have a Beach, but looking at the Layout Plan below and the fact that the 3 seat Beach Bed is 1.5 m wide, then I would suggest the gap is about 0.5 m wide.

View attachment 24035

It's 360mm approx at mid seat level rising to 400mm approx at window level. I've got all detailed measurements from making blooming kitchen pods for endless hours.

these may have van to fit a scooter
http://www.auto-campers.co.uk/mrv/
Steve is a really nice bloke to talk to & they will custom build. Their campers are done in conjunction with a converter oop north.

You could pretty much have the set-up I have, which is poptop & flooring, etc. but the back is empty except for lashing points. Then an Exploria bed if you need another bed but it all depends on how *factory finished* you want it to be...