Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying from Germany

RodCouncil

A Brit in Sweden
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Found a van and the seller has been super helpful, just one snag.

The van has oustanding finance and in Germany the bank holds the vehicle reg document which I will need on my person to get back into Sweden and also register the car right away with.

So is there some legal way I can pay him so he can pay the bank? I suggested I pay the bank and recieve the document in person with him and then pay him the remainder?

Maybe some legal docusign is enough and I pay him before I travel? I have all his details etc and it's all on line in terms of advert.

In UK it isn't legally possible for the Keeper to sell a vehicle that has finance as they do not own on it.

I would assume that is also the case in Germany, probably even more restrictions.

I'd go with him to the Bank and get all the debt paid and cleared. The Bank should provide all necessary documentation confirming that you are now the owner and that they have no further financial interest in the vehicle.

I did wonder as when in Germany years ago I went to the bank for a car loan and get an overdraught for the ammount which was great as the interest was monthly, based on the balance after salary went in and paying off early still kept the overdraught open if needed.

Didn't have to give the bank any car docs. Cars weren't so expensive then.

Found a van and the seller has been super helpful, just one snag.

The van has oustanding finance and in Germany the bank holds the vehicle reg document which I will need on my person to get back into Sweden and also register the car right away with.

So is there some legal way I can pay him so he can pay the bank? I suggested I pay the bank and recieve the document in person with him and then pay him the remainder?

Maybe some legal docusign is enough and I pay him before I travel? I have all his details etc and it's all on line in terms of advert.

I came across two Cali's One in Holland and the other Germany) when I was trying to source a vehicle outside of Spain. After some digging, I decided both were scams intended to solicit a deposit from the unsuspecting buyer. Neither 'owner' was able to produce the correct documentation. One giveaway of a scam is that the vehicle cannot be identified by the images provided. My advice would be to make sure you are absolutely certain that the vehicle and documentation is bonafide before you part with any money. In my case, I asked the vendors to provide images of the vehicle showing it's registration mark and VIN number. Both vendors then disappeared off the face of the earth!! Please be very cautious, I hope this helps.

I have all of the documentation including a copy of the reg doc that the bank holds, all of the images have the reg details that tally and their appears to be no scam.

My proposal is that I fly to germany and check the van, pay him and the next day we pay his bank direct and take the original reg doc and then travel back. In between I will have possesion of the van aslo.

I'd contact the Bank holding the documents directly to ascertain the criteria that has to met before they will release the documents.
Not much good if it takes days.
You may have possession of the van but not legal ownership.

Ultimately your money and your risk.

Searching for guides on this led to joining the ADAC German Drivers Club as being a way to get assistance on the whole purchase process.

Sage advice, my hope is to pay VW bank direct who hes borrowed from and him the residual amount.

All of the checks on the can come back A1 but I'll discuss with ADAC too.

Yeah, good advice about the bank. I was just selling something large to a nonresident & the bank froze the cash payment, with no timescale for release, causing the sale to fall through at an advanced stage. Different case obv but...

Be aware that possession gives no security. Even months after a transaction if fraudulent the vehicle will be confiscated. Maybe visit bank first before committing.

Agreed, the idea was to go to the bank with him, pay the debt and I take the reg doc then we both go and temp reg the van for it's plates, insurance etc.

Back